Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Re: Official KSport Coilover Kit Development Interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Austrian Dodge View Post
    i currently have my hands on some srt4 spindles from another member on here, just waiting on a shipping quote. I guess i can use my existing tie rod ends and ball joints, no?
    I'd run the SRT fronts with your top plate then - and most likely the ER series.

But i can wait a couple of weeks for the other manufactures decision, as i need to finish some other things anyways. so there's no need to rush from my end.
    KSport is willing to make the kits for us BUT...

We need to have 10 of each application and 50% down with an 8 week turnaround time on them.

So I guess we need to round up a few more people to make it happen.

They did say that they have made several improvements over the past few years and have an in house shock dyno to maintain quality control. Several local people have recently changed from a koni/ground control setup to the KSports and measured good improvements at the track.

-Rich

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    KSport is willing to make the kits for us BUT...

We need to have 10 of each application and 50% down with an 8 week turnaround time on them.

So I guess we need to round up a few more people to make it happen.

They did say that they have made several improvements over the past few years and have an in house shock dyno to maintain quality control. Several local people have recently changed from a koni/ground control setup to the KSports and measured good improvements at the track.

-Rich
    I'm not interested at the moment, but do you have any links with pertinent info?

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I'm not interested at the moment, but do you have any links with pertinent info?
    http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers.asp
    http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/press_r...sp?press_id=28

The big thing is that we need 10 cars in each application... Unless people dedicate their tax refunds to this I don't see it happening anytime soon.

-Rich

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

So these are fully aluminum construction?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor iTurbo's Avatar

Re: Official BC Coilover Kit Development Interest.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of coil overs for my own cars as I learn more. I guess I'm just one of those people that would be happy if only the stock K-based Koni shocks and struts were still available. No dedicated track cars here, just a lot of daily driver/weekend warrior types.

Would the K-sport stuff include all of the stuff you listed in post #1? Price still ~$1000? What about the rears, is that going to a bolt-in deal or require welding?

Quote Originally Posted by iTurbo View Post
    I'm starting to warm up to the idea of coil overs for my own cars as I learn more. I guess I'm just one of those people that would be happy if only the stock K-based Koni shocks and struts were still available. No dedicated track cars here, just a lot of daily driver/weekend warrior types.

Would the K-sport stuff include all of the stuff you listed in post #1? Price still ~$1000? What about the rears, is that going to a bolt-in deal or require welding?
    If we can get hte 10 people then it would include everything.

It would also be a bolt on product. The only thing I can see as a problem for the GJKHPA cars is that the strut tower hole is too small to allow adjustment of the camber plates from the top. Unless the hole is enlarged the struts would have to be removed in order to adjust them. Adjustment would also be limited by the size of the hole because the camber plate top nut can only move so far inside of that ~2.5" hole.

-Rich

http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/coilovers.asp
    http://www.ksportusa.com/asp/press_r...sp?press_id=28

The big thing is that we need 10 cars in each application... Unless people dedicate their tax refunds to this I don't see it happening anytime soon.

-Rich
    Thanks for the links Rich. Those look nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    So these are fully aluminum construction?
    Hmm I thought I replied to this one already but I don't see it in the thread...

It says in the description that the strut body is steel. I believe that the bottom mounts are forged aluminum on the Ksports. I can call and check if you would like. If there is interest I can also drop by their shop and check them out in person and report back.

Overall there are tradeoffs between steel and aluminum. I would rather see steel personally for the strength but aluminum is better for weight.

-Rich

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor Shadow's Avatar

I would rather see steel personally for the strength but aluminum is better for weight.

-Rich
    The later part of that statement is all that's been on my mind lately. In the description it sounded like they went to some lengths to develope a very durable aluminum, was just curious how much of the construction it made up. Finished weight?

Robert Mclellan
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wambNdfnu5M
    10.04 @ 143.28mph (144.82 highest mph)
    Worlds fastest 8v MTX Shelby Charger
    Manitoba's Fastest 4cyl!
    8 valve, No Nitrous!
    New clutch combo is the SH!T!

Garrett booster

...ksport can build you an all-ally body for drag racing, absolutely minimum weight and valving completely geared around launching as best as possible, but drive down the road and hit a pothole and you'll brake them... conversely they will build you grass-track or rally struts that are all cold rolled steel and very very thick tubes, for ultimate strength, but much higher unsprung weight etc.

Its all in the application, the normal street/strip coilovers they do are somewhere in the middle and are not the ultimate at anything, but they would represent a vast improvement over our stock setups, including the Konis. I thought there would be 50+ people fighting over these right from the off.

Out of interest, how old are the 'newest' Konis now? and can you still get replacement inserts? because i would imagine most 10yr+ old Konis offer absolutely no improvement over new stock shocks any more, apart from the addition of some minor adjustment, the dampers will be completely torn out, like any other 10 year old/100,000 mile damper would...

Quote Originally Posted by Garffus View Post
    ...ksport can build you an all-ally body for drag racing, absolutely minimum weight and valving completely geared around launching as best as possible, but drive down the road and hit a pothole and you'll brake them... conversely they will build you grass-track or rally struts that are all cold rolled steel and very very thick tubes, for ultimate strength, but much higher unsprung weight etc.

Its all in the application, the normal street/strip coilovers they do are somewhere in the middle and are not the ultimate at anything, but they would represent a vast improvement over our stock setups, including the Konis. I thought there would be 50+ people fighting over these right from the off.

Out of interest, how old are the 'newest' Konis now? and can you still get replacement inserts? because i would imagine most 10yr+ old Konis offer absolutely no improvement over new stock shocks any more, apart from the addition of some minor adjustment, the dampers will be completely torn out, like any other 10 year old/100,000 mile damper would...
    I believe the L body stuff can still be rebuilt for a decent price.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I believe the L body stuff can still be rebuilt for a decent price.
    Well that does makes a difference, but the rest of us should all still have spangly coilovers!

RB - How many orders are you short of getting a first batch shipped now?

turbo addict

All Konis can be rebuilt, but you're gonna have to pay regardless of whether it's K or L based. I personally know there are some sets of brand new, never installed K-based Konis out there. ;-)

Also keep in mind that you can have the Konis revalved for any application you want. I *think* I remember Lee Grimes saying that the front struts can be converted to double adjustable, but it's not cheap. The rear K-based can't. They can be revalved and rebuilt and tuned, but they will always be single adjustable.

Quote Originally Posted by Garffus View Post
    Well that does makes a difference, but the rest of us should all still have spangly coilovers!

RB - How many orders are you short of getting a first batch shipped now?
    Probably 4 of each type given that some of the lbody orders are front only.

It will take a couple of months once I have the orders but I guess that is just how it goes.

-Rich

---------- Post added at 10:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper1 View Post
    All Konis can be rebuilt, but you're gonna have to pay regardless of whether it's K or L based. I personally know there are some sets of brand new, never installed K-based Konis out there. ;-)

Also keep in mind that you can have the Konis revalved for any application you want. I *think* I remember Lee Grimes saying that the front struts can be converted to double adjustable, but it's not cheap. The rear K-based can't. They can be revalved and rebuilt and tuned, but they will always be single adjustable.
    The BCs and Ksports can also be custom valved if we can get them into production. They also offer extra options like inverted versions and external reservoir versions. The fact that they include the top plates also makes them much cheaper overall and can also be dual adjustable in the higher end models.

Preserving strut travel when lowering is also really nice and something that the Konis just can't do.

The Konis are also a fine solution but they will eventually run out and a true coilover offers a lot more options from street use all the way to track use or even rally use.

-Rich

turbo addict

Oh, I wasn't arguing AGAINST what you are going after, Rich! LOL

I was just saying that the Koni's CAN be rebuilt, that's all....

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Ken Adler took his Koni's from his 87 GLHS in to Koni America to be rebuilt a few years ago and they said they no longer have the parts to rebuild the rears. They did however modify a set of Mustang parts to fit in his stock rear Koni's.

Edit (added stuff below):

I took a front set of NEW yellow Koni's (sport?) in to Koni to be rebuilt. I only used them one race before they started leaking. The Koni people were VERY helpful and I even had them go up a stage or two on the rebound valving. I even asked how stiff could I make them on the rebound to which the guy at Koni responded "I can make them broomsticks if you want me too!" LOL. I told them I needed them done right away, and they told me it takes up to two days for the powdercoat to cure. Since they were knew, I told them not to worry about re-powdercoating them. I dropped them off on lunch break on Monday, and they called me Tuesday morning before I even got to work to let me know they were done!!!

FYI, Koni America is only about 10 minutes from where I work. If anyone wanted someone to personally take them to Koni to be rebuilt, I could do that.

Sorry for the Hijack Rich..... Just statin what I know about Koni's for now.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

Also Rich, I wanted you to know that I'd be in for a set of fronts for a Rampage, and possibly rears if you ever get them developed, but I just don't have the cash right now.

And in a few years, I'd be in for a set for a G. But I don't have the money, or the time to work on the G right now.

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I was told the same thing by the place on the west coast that Koni has officially licensed to rebuild their struts. No can do.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I was told the same thing by the place on the west coast that Koni has officially licensed to rebuild their struts. No can do.
    Is this for L-body Konis or ALL of the Konis that were used on TMs? The reason I asked is because a few years ago when the bolt-on ones went the way of the Dodo, I asked Lee Grimes about that and he said it was no problem at all....maybe things changed.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I dont know about the other TM applications. The ones I tried to have rebuilt were the adjustable L body struts for an '86 GLHS

Hybrid booster

Any updates?

Looking at your website the front kit for non L bodies is 575 shipped? The drop down only lists SRT and Impreza? Does this include your custom top plate? Which one would I want to order for a Spirit R/T?

Also just a heads up, on your products page suspension is misspelled.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast