Thread: 2 quick questions

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

2 quick questions

i see a lot of people dont use tubes in their mt slicks?

when you guys say second gear burnout, do you mean dumping the clutch in 2th or starting in 1st and switch to second?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: 2 quick questions

dump it in 2nd

DO NOT dump it in 1st and try to switch to 2nd.....the trans does not like it too much lol

i did a 1st to 2nd one time in my 555 trans'd car at the track and I ended up having to leave the line in 2nd gear because the damn trans got stuck and i could not take it out of gear for the life of me.....thankfully it popped out of gear when i went to mash it into 3rd lol

yea i thought so, i could never get hot enough in 1st

if you want a real smoke show and your car has the power, try a 3rd gear burnout

btw the tubes really come down to preference. they are much safer to run when racing, they also hold air 100% so u dont have to deal with leaky slicks and constantly messing with tire pressure

and once you tube a rim, im pretty positive your stuck running tubes in them forever. something to consider (if it is true?? was just something i heard AFTER i tubed my old tires)

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    if you want a real smoke show and your car has the power, try a 3rd gear burnout
    Just about anything has the power, with the right technique, wait until the roads are wet

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post

btw the tubes really come down to preference. they are much safer to run when racing, they also hold air 100% so u dont have to deal with leaky slicks and constantly messing with tire pressure

and once you tube a rim, im pretty positive your stuck running tubes in them forever. something to consider (if it is true?? was just something i heard AFTER i tubed my old tires)
    I do agree tube's are a preference but never had an issue not running them, same with my friends. Checking tire pressure, big whoop,

I could see if you put screws into the rims then you have to run tubes but if you don't, then why does the rim get ruined running tubes?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

so how many guys are breaking axles with 24.5x8 slicks?
    im so worried about it

turbo addict

Some tubes (Mickey Thompson) have an oversized valve stem. With a steel wheel, I had to enlarge the valve stem opening. So in that case, the rim is destined to forever run a tube. I have also bolted the slicks to the rims.

I have the same size slicks, ran 12.33@120 and have not broken an axle at the track in about 9 years.

turbo addict

Its fun when your slick turns and tears the stem off. Reason I won't run tubes.

I broke both of my axles this year and never moved off the line. Fun fun fun.

Install a staging brake on the rear. Going that route myself since nobody here likes to advance the platform and instead feels the need to beef up things that just need a gentler touch, you gotta do it yourself
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56