Thread: Axle Woes

Garrett booster

Axle Woes

My '88 CSX-T came from the PO with unequal length axles. The car was making a wop wop wop sound when turning left. (I found no Italians under the car, LOL) I had heard on here before to buy the axle on the opposite side of the turn if it was making noise. I decided to go to equal length axles while I was at it. I bought a jackshaft from the local boneyard and a rebuilt short axle from an axle shop. The hanger with the bolts was still on the block. The wop wop wop sound is still there and now I have a roar / whine from about 30-55 mph. I think it is there all the time, but much more noticeable in that speed range. I have now also replaced the pass. side wheel bearing assembly with no improvements. I have several questions. First, are there parts available to replace the hangar bearing and u-joint on a jackshaft? Are there different flavors of jackshafts, and maybe I have the wrong one? Does someone have one for sale for an '88 CSX-T? Is there something else I have to replace besides the axle and jackshaft to go from a long axle to a short one? You think I have been replacing stuff on the wrong side? If the weight on the axle is missing, can this cause the problem? I will have to crawl under there to see if the weight is there. I don't remember now. Any help appreciated.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Axle Woes

The KC has the info on the U-joint-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...&articleid=178

Here is my thread on jackshafts-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...highlight=axle

Here is the thread on a bearing replacment-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=45780
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Thanks for the help. Wonder is CSXT802 ever got his 40 people to order that setup for the bearing? I need to go to the boneyard and get a jackshaft assembly, try the u-joint replacement shown on one thread and see if i can get the bearing fixture assembly. That's the only way to get a "new" jackshaft assembly. I'm thinking that is my problem. My poor jackshaft needs some cheese to go along with its whine. LOL.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CSX173 View Post
    Thanks for the help. Wonder is CSXT802 ever got his 40 people to order that setup for the bearing? I need to go to the boneyard and get a jackshaft assembly, try the u-joint replacement shown on one thread and see if i can get the bearing fixture assembly. That's the only way to get a "new" jackshaft assembly. I'm thinking that is my problem. My poor jackshaft needs some cheese to go along with its whine. LOL.
    Yes the aftermarket jackshaft bearing was made. Cindy @ FWD sells them currently. Center your engine if you haven't done so. This could be the cause of noises if your axle(s) are hitting the diff pin.
    Todd