Thread: Fuel Pump Relay and Issues-'85 Shelby Charger

Fuel Pump Relay and Issues-'85 Shelby Charger

OK, I will look like a moron here, but I need help.

A few days ago, I clicked my key on to check my fuel pump. It whirred, but being that the tank was empty, I quickly shut it off. The next time I clicked it on, after a short trip shop-to-shop, it didn't work. I was told to clean the contact points on the 2 relays that sit on the driver side suspension tower. I did this. When I put the back together, I did something unbelievably stupid and overlooked a bent tab on the relay that goes closest to the DS fender. It touched the metal casing, which then shorted out and smoked a bit. The fuel pump still does not work. Does anyone know what wire does what in this relay so if it is a keyed +12, constant +12, ground, whatever, I can test the harness that goes to this relay and re-run the necessary wires to a new relay? And which one is the fuel pump? I may have broken the one to the radiator fan, but IDK which is which.
    Last edited by Pontiacdude210; 10-04-2010 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Stupidity

Hybrid booster

Re: Fuel Pump Relay and Issues-'85 Shelby Charger

The 85's don't have a fuel pump relay - it's part of the power module. Those relays on the side of the strut tower are radiator fan and starter relays. As far as I know.

The starter relay has the thicker red wire going to it. On my 85 Shelby Charger the starter relay is on the left and the rad fan relay is on the right.

Ralph

[SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I checked it out and you are right, I blew the radiator fan power wire out though, not the starter so I now sigh in relief. I think I will just run the rad fan off a keyed relay. I did my research and learned how and why relays work too. So thank you, but now....how would I check why my fuel pump gets no power, cuz that was messed up before I even touched that other relay, and no wires had burned out until then either.

Hybrid booster

The bottom of this page may help:

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar...tml#enginefeed