Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for installing multi piece valve cover gaskets

Tips for installing multi piece valve cover gaskets

Hey guys I normally only use the 1 piece style valve cover and gasket, so the 4 piece is kinda foreign to me...

Do I want to install all 4 pieces on the cover first and then let it "set up" before installation? If so, is it best to use black gasket maker on both sides of the gasket? Normally when I install a paper gasket on the thermostat cover, I'll use the black gasket maker on one side and regular grease on the other so the cover can be removed without destroying the gasket...should I also do that with the valve cover?

Or do I just want to use the 2 gaskets on each end of the cover with black gasket maker down the sides?

I'd like to do this as "mess free" as possible the 1st time, and it's already known that I have a heck of a time with the multi-piece oil pan gaskets...figured I'd better ask for some advice first, before I'm out in the driveway cursing at the top of my lungs and causing a scene

If you've found something that works good for you, please post it up
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

turbo addict

Re: Tips for installing multi piece valve cover gaskets

no matter how i installed the 4 peice set it leaked and sometimes almost imediatly. the one peice fel-pro verson of this is a fustration saver

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

rubber end caps and rtv on the rails, nothing else.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    rubber end caps and rtv on the rails, nothing else.
    +1

Step 1 - Throw cork pieces away
    Step 2 - CLEAN the valvecover gasket area as well as possible and de-grease with brake cleaner
    Step 3 - Clean/reseal baffle (KC article) if you have not yet
    Step 4 - Press rubber end seals into cover, use RTV at corners if needed to make it 'stick' while you flip it upside down.
    Step 5 - Put black RTV in the RTV channel in the valvecover front and back sections
    Step 6 - Carefully install the cover onto head, the more crap out of the way the better so you dont get RTV everywhere
    Step 7 - Carefully bolt it down

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

Yes, JT's pretty much got it covered. If you do it right, they'll never leak. I don't have any 1-piece gasket covers on ANY of my cars, and none of mine leak.

Another thing to do would be to run a 6mm tap in the valve cover bolt holes, in the head. I've seen before where RTV from previous valve cover installations will get down in the holes. When you go to tighten the valve cover down, the hardened RTV down in the bottom of those holes has no where to go, so when the bolt gets tightened down, it cracks the head. Those holes should be nice and clean. Run a tap in there, a little brake cleaner, and an air nozzle and blow em out good, so you know you have enough clear depth for the bolts.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

+1 for throwing the cork pieces away. I had those pieces in my omni when I first got it. They leaked like crazy. Threw them out and I haven't had a problem since.

Thanks for the great tips everyone, I'll heed your advice
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by sy2206 View Post
    Yes, JT's pretty much got it covered. If you do it right, they'll never leak. I don't have any 1-piece gasket covers on ANY of my cars, and none of mine leak.

Another thing to do would be to run a 6mm tap in the valve cover bolt holes, in the head. I've seen before where RTV from previous valve cover installations will get down in the holes. When you go to tighten the valve cover down, the hardened RTV down in the bottom of those holes has no where to go, so when the bolt gets tightened down, it cracks the head. Those holes should be nice and clean. Run a tap in there, a little brake cleaner, and an air nozzle and blow em out good, so you know you have enough clear depth for the bolts.
    That's a really good idea. I just my valve cover on a few weeks ago and one of the bolts (or bolt holes) stripped. I bet that was why - I couldn't figure it out.

turbo addict

I agree with whats been previously stated. I also usually put a drop of blue locktite on the bolts so they don't back them selves out by the vibrations from out motors. Bolts and threads need to be grease free for this to be effective. Torque to 105 inch lbs. and let the RTV have a chance to dry, preferably overnight before use. I also like the quality of the Mopar RTV. Not all RTV holds up to oil real well.
    Todd

turbo addict

ugh, i'm growing tired of posting this Fel-Pro part number,JT can you put it below my SN for easy reference next time the topic of one-piece valve cover gaskets come up for replacing the 4 piece?

Fel-Pro VS50205T

using rtv on a valve cover is like welding the hood shut on a TD, don't do it because you'll have to open it up real soon, so why make it more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    ugh, i'm growing tired of posting this Fel-Pro part number,JT can you put it below my SN for easy reference next time the topic of one-piece valve cover gaskets come up for replacing the 4 piece?

Fel-Pro VS50205T
    Wow I just checked this gasket out and Autozone wants $37

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

What they said.

The only thing I can add to the "use the end pieces and RTV the rest" method is that I use those cheap soldering flux acid brushes to apply the RTV. I don't like RTV floating around inside engines so I want to use as little as possible, so I apply as thin a layer as possible. Take a scissors and cut the bristles short, take wipes off the end of the tube with the shortened stiff bristles of the acid brush First, I apply it to the part of the valve cover that the end pieces seat in and then I stick the end pieces on without waiting for it to tack up. Then, while that's curing, I paint a thin layer of RTV onto each side, the head and the valve cover; let it set up till tacky.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Fel-Pro VS50205T

using rtv on a valve cover is like welding the hood shut on a TD, don't do it because you'll have to open it up real soon, so why make it more difficult.
    I could be wrong but I believe that gasket is meant for the stamped steel cover only ?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I could be wrong but I believe that gasket is meant for the stamped steel cover only ?
    Correct, thats what I used one my stamped cover (and worth every penny), but the turbo valve covers (cast aluminum) are not multi peice.

The Fel-Pro number for turbo valve covers (and all cast covers) is VS50334R It's Fel-Pro's Perma-Dry series. It has no bolt holes like the stamped covers and Rock Auto carries it for $10. Rock carries their own brand for a few bucks cheaper, VC146 is the number needed.

Rock Auto wants $24 for the VS50205T gasket for the stamped covers

OK I'm confused... they make a fully seal gasket for the multi-piece style cast "Turbo" covers?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Why not just use a one-piece-gasket turbo valvecover? I may still have some around if you need one.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Paul, can you chime in on what you're working on. Year, turbo or no, steel cover/ Al cover, ...etc...

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    OK I'm confused... they make a fully seal gasket for the multi-piece style cast "Turbo" covers?
    Yes, the Fel-Pro number for turbo valve covers (and all cast covers) is VS50334R, it is one peice rubber.

Fel-Pro makes a replacement for the 4 peice stamped covers, VS50205T, it is an upgrade over the 4 peice cork and rubber hoop design. In theory, I supose you could use it on a turbo cover as well..... but why when the one you need is $10.

Yes, the Fel-Pro number for turbo valve covers (and all cast covers) is VS50334R, it is one peice rubber.

Fel-Pro makes a replacement for the 4 peice stamped covers, VS50205T, it is an upgrade over the 4 peice cork and rubber hoop design. In theory, I supose you could use it on a turbo cover as well..... but why when the one you need is $10.
    Nope... That is only for 88+ cast covers. The 84-87 cast covers use the rubber end seals and RTV

Here are some tips on the differences:

http://www.badassperformance.com/mte...ecover_id.html

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Nope... That is only for 88+ cast covers. The 84-87 cast covers use the rubber end seals and RTV

Here are some tips on the differences:

http://www.badassperformance.com/mte...ecover_id.html
    Ah, those cheeky bastids, i wondered if there was a design change... Alright, simple:

edit, done some digging.....

Use VS50205T for all 88+ stamped covers

use VS50334R for all cast covers 88 and up

pre 88 stamped cover = hosed, there is no one-peice gasket, theres a change to the hoop part, both sides are not the same shape

pre 88 cast cover = unsure need some oen to test out???

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Why not just use a one-piece-gasket turbo valvecover? I may still have some around if you need one.
    Thank Mike I appreciate the offer...I've got many 1 pc valve covers around here, but unfortunately the "SHELBY" valvecovers I've gathered are all 4 pc design

Looks like I'm going to use the 2 end pieces and black RTV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast