Thread: Cuts out/misses when cold outside till it warms up. Cold weather issue not boost.

Garrett booster

Cuts out/misses when cold outside till it warms up. Cold weather issue not boost.

My van has done this for awhile but cold use to be 30 degrees outside and now it is doing it in the 50s. Use to think it was just an old car thing but now I'm thinking a sensor is on the fritz. It starts fine and has a high idle like it should but it will miss and nearly die and sometimes does and will also do it while driving down the road and I'm on the gas. Is this something a flaky coolant temp sensor would cause?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Cuts out/misses when cold outside till it warms up. Cold weather issue not boost

Any codes? What's your setup? Stock computer?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Garrett booster

Re: Cuts out/misses when cold outside till it warms up. Cold weather issue not boost

My check engine light isn't working but it did this same thing while the light was working and never gave me any codes. I really need to fix that light. Computer is stock as is the fuel and ignition systems. I've had this thing for 8 years and I don't remember if it has always done this but its done it for many winters. I never though much of it before because its old and it was freezing outside but now it is doing it in chilly weather. I drove it earlier in the day when it was in the high 60s and no problem but started missing tonight when the temp dropped into the low 50s. It was still missing every now and again when my mechanical temp gauge showed 140f, I don't have a stock gauge anymore.

Was thinking that the coolant temp sensor might be showing warmer than it is and the computer is leaning the van out. Coolant temp sensor is also cheap and easy which would be nice .

Hybrid booster

when it's cold, the vaccuum lines become a bit more hard and are more likely to leak if there's a small crack somewhere. Maybe check the line going to the baro solenoid, or from there to the MAP sensor.

Hybrid booster

what year van is this? i have an 89 3.0l that acts pretty much the same way you are saying. found a t.s.b on the condition stating the ecu is bad, only acts up when real cold outside. i have just been living with it as i didnt want to invest in a new ecu for it.

Garrett booster

Well finally got around to messing with it again. Changed the plugs, wires, and rotor all were do and didn't fix the problem. Found some cracked and leaking vacuum lines and fixed those still did it. Pulled the plug to the map sensor and it still did it. Checked the fuel pressure and it is fine. Then I remembered I had a spark tester and when it misses I'm not getting a spark from the coil. New coil or some other issue?

Mitsu booster

Try another ECU. I had the exact same problem with my old 89 T1 Daytona. Changed everything you did including coolant temp sensor and speed sensor. Eventually another ECU fixed the problem.

Garrett booster

That is what I'm afraid of. Have to see if I can borrow one.

Garrett booster

Thanks everybody especially Omni_840.

Omni_840 was good enough to give me a spare ECU which solved my problem.