Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching the 0-1v stock table with one that reads 0-5v?

Switching the 0-1v stock table with one that reads 0-5v?

I know this may be a long shot, discussed before and so forth, but how complicated would it be to swap the code for one of the different tuning softwares and insert a table to accept wideband values? Does that make sense? I mean I'm looking at this wideband I just bought and I know it only has 0-5v output (I'm assuming for a data logger to provide data on the wideband output), but if the stock computer had a table to read the 0-5v range for the values, could it not just use that table instead of the 0-1v narrowband to do it's calculations? Wouldn't it make the car more efficient? Am I asking too much? Please enlighten me.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Switching the 0-1v stock table with one that reads 0-5v?

I've talked about that with a couple of people in the past. IIRC the consensus was that it could be done, but is probably not worth the trouble.

IIRC the GM guys have done that.

Hmm, ok. Well I was just wondering. I have the 3" exhaust setup for the extra bung, but thought if it could be done or had been done, maybe I could just update my code and start using this thing with my current 2.25" factory exhaust. Oh well...
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Hmm, ok. Well I was just wondering. I have the 3" exhaust setup for the extra bung, but thought if it could be done or had been done, maybe I could just update my code and start using this thing with my current 2.25" factory exhaust. Oh well...
    Does your WBO2 have a NB output? I run my WB in the stock location and use the simulated O2 output to run the LM. No problems doing it this way. I believe there are several of us who do it like that with no ill effects. I know that Bucar and a couple of others say that they've had trouble with it though.

I got one of the ones Mr. X was selling. It has an output for a data logger, but not a simulated 0-1v output like what the computer will read. My guess is, IF it even read correctly it would read incorrectly and cause the car to run poorly. But I base that on the fact that the range for the factory one is under 1v whereas this can output over that. I have no idea what it will do. :S

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    I got one of the ones Mr. X was selling. It has an output for a data logger, but not a simulated 0-1v output like what the computer will read. My guess is, IF it even read correctly it would read incorrectly and cause the car to run poorly. But I base that on the fact that the range for the factory one is under 1v whereas this can output over that. I have no idea what it will do. :S
    It will get a value outside of what it is expecting and throw an O2 code for (suck rich?)

Well that is what I was thinking, but what is the numeric range for the 0-1v for the narrowband the computer reads? I mean is 0-1v equal to 13-14 on a wideband? At WOT, it shouldn't matter, but cruising I don't know how the ranges would be mapped.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Someone hasn't made a table or a script to convert the 0-5V to 0-1V? With all the computer guys on here? Really? Get on the ball you slackers!!!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Quote Originally Posted by black86glhs View Post
    Someone hasn't made a table or a script to convert the 0-5V to 0-1V? With all the computer guys on here? Really? Get on the ball you slackers!!!!
    Well I didn't want to seem presumptuous, but I am a little surprised we haven't seen code or development for a wideband table integrated with the stock code. Just seems like it would be fairly straight forward, but I know very little about how code is written and the inter-dependencies.

I can post pictures too.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I really gotta try this 1 volt output thing.

Does it make that much of a difference in MPG?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

I seem to recall having this conversation before... I'm still too ignorant to understand why it isn't/can't be done by... I do understand why it can't be done easily...

As I understand it, simply replacing the 0-1V signal from a narrow band with a "condensed" 0-5V signal wouldn't work due to the differences in the way a narrow vs. wide band produces it's signal.

A wide band will provide a steady 0-5V signal via the signal conditioner that the actual sensor plugs into, whereas the narrow band sensor sends it's actual raw voltage to the computer for analysis.

The raw voltage is basically 0-1V AC voltage, that is, the voltage swings above and below the "0" line, sometimes higher on the top than the bottom, the computer then takes the average (or whatever algorithm it uses) of the two spikes and uses that value.

It may be due to the hardware not being capable, or limitations on the amount of fuel that can be adjusted via O2 in the software... I don't know, but it is frustrating to know that pretty much all the other sensors are 0-5V normally, but we can't seem to integrate the 0-5V wide band signal to work.... But sometimes you just can't get that square peg in that round hole... no matter how big a hammer you have!

I'm sure Rob could do a better job of explaining the problems in making this work, he was a part of the other thread... the one I'm too lazy to look up right now!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

There was a whole discussion on here where frank did this. I don't recall whatever became of it but I do recall that it's not as simple as rescaling the table. If i remember correctly it's because there are constants in the cal that have to do with the kicks and the o2 ramp setup and they compare against the o2 adc counts. Search for the thread , all the info you need should be in there.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I really gotta try this 1 volt output thing.

Does it make that much of a difference in MPG?
    It does not affect gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    There was a whole discussion on here where frank did this. I don't recall whatever became of it but I do recall that it's not as simple as rescaling the table. If i remember correctly it's because there are constants in the cal that have to do with the kicks and the o2 ramp setup and they compare against the o2 adc counts. Search for the thread , all the info you need should be in there.
    My elephant memory recalls him trying to tighten up the oscillation of the O2, but I don't recall him attempting to convert to the 5v signal?

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

cordes what AF do you see the MPG at?
    2022 Viper runs 9s

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeZ View Post
    cordes what AF do you see the MPG at?
    A tad over 15: to one for the average of the oscillation. Anything higher than 16:1 and I start to lose drivability somewhat and it's downhill from there. I've found that ign. timing in vac plays a much more pivotal role in mpgs. I also noticed a big jump in mileage by running regular gas. That's a gas mileage monster application only though.

TIIFIIIWII Turbo Mopar Staff DodgeZ's Avatar

In the 14-15 AFR the narrow band more detailed then a wideband. Not by much but it is.

http://www.boostsource.com/?p=131

The Bosch wideband sensors suck. I wouldn't want to use it on a daily.
    2022 Viper runs 9s

I haven't been running an 02 sensor for a long time now, The AEM UEGO has 0-1 and a 0-5v outputs.
    later Dick Westerhof

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    My elephant memory recalls him trying to tighten up the oscillation of the O2, but I don't recall him attempting to convert to the 5v signal?
    My memory is notoriously faulty about some stuff, but the thread below has most of the info. I'd read that before chasing this any further.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=27255

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast