Thread: 2004 Neon R/T

turbo addict

2004 Neon R/T

Can anyone provide some info on a 2004 Neon R/T? Like at what rpm the electronic intake manifold is activated at,camshaft specs,etc,etc. Thanks!

Any good programmers or ECM's available for this car? One that will raise the rev limit,etc.?

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: 2004 Neon R/T

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    Can anyone provide some info on a 2004 Neon R/T? Like at what rpm the electronic intake manifold is activated at,camshaft specs,etc,etc. Thanks!

Any good programmers or ECM's available for this car? One that will raise the rev limit,etc.?
    The 2003-up neons have the NGC (Next Generation Engine controller) which to you and I means that they are not very responsive to any kind of engine modifications short of nitrous and/or boost.

While the Magnum 2.0's cylinder head is a HUGHE improvement over the base SOHC head, it still is not a very high rever compared to the DOHC. Even if you could raise the rev limiter, you wouldn't gain much from it.

To my knowlege, nobody offers any programmers or modded ECU's for the NGC's.

Pilfered from Neons.org FAQ:

How does the Magnum's active intake manifold work?
    A: The two-stage intake manifold is an interesting design that allows the the engine to tune the intake stream to suit the particular conditions of the moment. The manifold itself consists of two sets of runners: longer, small-bore primaries (higher velocity, lower volume), and short, fat secondaries (lower velocity, higher volume.) Manifold Tuning Valves (MTVs) located in the secondary runners are controlled by the PCM in response to engine speed and throttle position. The secondaries are normally closed except at wide open throttle (WOT), under the following circumstances:
    The MTVs open at low revs (below 3200 rpm) to improve cylinder filling when intake vacuum pressure/velocity is weak. This provides good throttle response and makes the car feel more torquey.
    Between 3200 and 5000 rpm, the secondaries are closed, forcing air through the longer primary runners only. This improves air velocity once the intake vacuum is stronger, maintaining the faster cylinder fill rate. Longer runners help improve midrange torque under most driving conditions.
    Above 5000 rpm, the secondaries open again to provide the largest possible volume of intake air. Velocity is maintained by the high-rev demand load.
    In addition to the simple mechanics of providing additional air volume when needed, the active manifold helps to tune the intake pressure waves in the same way a header is tuned to the pressure waves of the exhaust stream. Having two different types of runners helps broaden the range over which the optimum pressure tuning is applied. This allows for good midrange torque without the corresponding loss of high-end horsepower found in a single-runner design.
    Thanks to Chris01RedACR for some of this information.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I bought one for my son. It runs pretty good, fun to drive! It pulls good all the way to the rev limit (6800rpm). This engine has a HP peak @ 6600rpm stock! One can easily tell it wants to rev past that point! Looking a performance upgrade options. Thanks for the info!

Jet performance can chip and then modify the ECM. Looking for other options!

turbo addict

You can get longtube headers and a good 2.5" exhaust, UDP, and cold air intake. I don't know much else about 2nd gens. 1st gen is a better starting point to go fast n/a.

Quote Originally Posted by glhs875 View Post
    I bought one for my son. It runs pretty good, fun to drive! It pulls good all the way to the rev limit (6800rpm). This engine has a HP peak @ 6600rpm stock! One can easily tell it wants to rev past that point! Looking a performance upgrade options. Thanks for the info!

Jet performance can chip and then modify the ECM. Looking for other options!
    I think I would like to find a 2nd Gen R/T as a commuter car. If I could find a deal on one I would snatch it up!
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

I think you would be happier with a clean 1g. They are out there. I DD a DOHC 5sp/3.94 coupe and its great. I beat on it, and it still gives me 35mpg. I never take it out of 5th on the freeway for hills. The 2gn's are so much heavier, and they never really got a good motor put in them short of the SRT's.

Ive had both a '04 R/T and a '96 DOHC 5spd3.94 coupe. My DOHC ran 14.9s at 92mph with boltons and knocked back 35mpg if I was easy on it! My '04 was also modded with the basics and it on average got 28mpg but as high as high 32mpg(that was rare).

Since you HAVE the R/T, I'll tell you what should be done with it.

First off dont buy the JET chip it does NOTHING!

As far as mods your limited with power output do to the NGC. Go with a CAI(AEM or ICEMAN only!), UDP, COmp400 cam, header and MAYBE a muffler!

For a CAI, dont bother with a short ram, its useless, I had an AEM and LOVED it! Ive actually still got it minus the filter(for sale $100 shipped). I had an ICEMAN on my 1gn and it was AWESOME, theyre just a bit harder to find for a 2gn R/T.

There is no point in going to a 2.5'' pipe! The factory exhaust is a great flowing 2.25'' stainless mandrel bent exhaust with a high flowing cat and muffler. I did add the Thermal R&D muffler to mine and it was louder with a very minimal power gain. I loved it though, sounded VERY aggressive.

UDP is a must, it helps a lot!

I never got to a good LTH but it helped significantly on my friends 1gn. Dont buy the Kirk header, its too small, get an OBX stainless or if your lucky a FastFabs or Blackdog header!

The other mod I never quite got to was the Comp400 cam. It was designed specificly for the 2.0 Magnum and is said to improve the entire RPM range with out going beyond the factory computers control. Dont bother with the Crane12 as its no better than the stock Magnum cam, the Crane14 is way better but shouldnt be used because it needs a lot of A/F tuning to idle correctly, as well as not making its peak hp until way after the stock 6750rpm limiter.

As far as ECU tuning goes your only current option is MegaSquirt! Although a few people are trying to use stock SRT4 ecu and retuning them with handheld tuners from DiabloSport.

Be sure to check out 2gn.org, neons.org and modernperformance.com!

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I think I would like to find a 2nd Gen R/T as a commuter car. If I could find a deal on one I would snatch it up!
    I've got one...what kinda deal are you lookin for???

turbo addict

Thanks for the info!! What's a UDP?

turbo addict

Under Drive Pulley

Quote Originally Posted by audiomaninc View Post
    I've got one...what kinda deal are you lookin for???
    I'd probably need a better deal than you are willing to give< lol
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I'd probably need a better deal than you are willing to give< lol
    yeah, and since I think my brand new turbo is completely shot, looks like the red headed stepchild will be seeing a few more months of daily driver duty.