Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My R/T got me thrown in Jail on Friday!

boostaholic

Unhappy My R/T got me thrown in Jail on Friday!

Well it's not my cars fault it's my fault. There was a guy I work with following me to my house after work cause he was buying some of my old baby carseats from me. And for the past few weeks he was giving me crap and joking around how the R/T is a piece of $hit. I know he was joking around but it still gets to me. Well by my house there is a 1 mile stretch of road where there are no intersecting roads or any houses around. So we turn on the road and then I just punch it and at the other end of the road coming towards me is a Sherriff so he clocked the whole thing, 70 mph in a 25 He was a descent cop though he gave me the chance to call some people so they could come get the car so it didnt have to get towed. So I got arrested for Wreckless driving he didnt give me a speeding ticket which would have made it way more $. What was kind of kreepy is he knew exactlly where I lived. The guy was following me home didnt know where I lived and the cop explained to him where I lived. Then I looked at the cop confused (while I was hand cuffed in thr back of a truck) and he said he saw me when I was doing all the body work on the car for the paintjob. He said he is a car guy and notices stuff like that and wouldnt disrespect me by having my ar towed away. So we are on the way to the jail and he is talking to me about the car and he couldnt belive how fast it was and he personally never seen a smaller car go that fast so quikly before. I didnt know what to say so I just said thanks. So once we were there and he did his paperwork he told the booking officer he was off the clock now then he kept asking me questions about the car like stuff done to it and what I thought the horsepower was. He really did seem like a car guy that was interesed in the car, but he still took me to jail. I wasnt there long cause the wife came and bailed me out and she is supriseingly ok with everything, for now someday she might make me pay for it

I had been priding myself in my good driving record for the past few years and have been driving good, but that is all out the window. The moral of the story is drive safe and keep the excess speeding on the track.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Re: My R/T got me thrown in Jail on Friday!

Wow, that sucks

Hybrid booster

Hope you didnt answer him about horsepower and other modifications, remember he is a police officer first, and a car guy second. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law......goodluck!

Joe

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firebaron90 View Post
    Hope you didnt answer him about horsepower and other modifications, remember he is a police officer first, and a car guy second. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law......goodluck!

Joe
    My first thought too.

I think that Hunter S. Thompson gave the best advice for said situation though.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Wow, that sucks man and hopefully you didn't let him know too much info.

Funny vid, I should watch that movie someday.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

fear and loathing rocks!

boostaholic

The only real info I told him is that I had a Electronic boost contoller. The only reason I told him that was he thought it was funny that my (Radar detector) didnt work and I corrected him and told him it was a boost controller not a radar detector.

I havent seen that movie in days, I need to watch it again.

boostaholic

When I got my wd they just gave my a ticket and I was on my way

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

do yourself a favor, get a good traffic lawyer. Wreckless driving is not a ticket you want on your record. it costs money but in the long run, it will be worth it.
    If that cop was really a car guy, he would have told you to slow down, or don't let me catch you doing that again, etc.. and NOT taken you to jail. He was probably asking you about the car becuase he was palying the bad cop/good cop game (all by himself LOL)
    later,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Hybrid booster

+1 on getting a traffic lawyer! My daughter got a 55 in a 25 ticket, which was her 3rd class A ticket in a year. She had to take a driving class, but the ticket was taken off her record. AAA even paid part of the lawyer's fee.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Ouch, sorry to hear Dustin! But it coulda been worse!

+1 to a lawyer, def try to get it reduced

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

NEVER plead guilty, wreckless driving is a mistermeanor ((spelling?)) and can be pleaded down, not like a speeding ticket, civil infraction, which your stuck with, well usually but its a money game so they change the rules by the color of your money.

turbo addict

Crappy. I got a negligent driving ticket (I think it's the same thing here in Wa) last year. I was doing 57 and accelerating in a 30 merging in front of a Hemi Ram that wasn't going to let me in as my lane cut out. But he didn't get me on Radar so he couldn't prove anything. I went to court with a google earth picture with the distant from where i was stopped at the red light to where the cop saw me and a picture of my 87 New yorker and told the judge there was no way my grandma car could be going that fast. I walked out with a 1-5MPH over speeding ticket.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

An Akron city cop got me for speeding, but didn't have radar in his car. I asked him how he knew i was speeding and he said it was how my car looked as it went by. ?????? Iasked if he meant how the car looked going over bumps and he said yes. I asked him if he had ever driven an Olds 88 before and he said no. So I asked how he could tell I was speeding, considering how soft those cars are sprung. I got off with a broken windshield ticket. LOL.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

^^
    ^^
    Nice...send a little luck like that this way eh...

turbo addict

Yeah, not a car guy. Knowing about cars and being a car guy, 2 different things. He wants information to prosecute.

I did a 60-130 4th gear pull on my old built motor on a 550whp type tune (24psi) and apparently did it with a cop behind me (just pulled onto the freeway at 1 AM). "I lost sight of you by the time I hit 90, (going over a a small crest) you must have been going way over that speed." We (roommate from school) actually almost veered into the divider but he didn't see it because we were already over the crest. He caught up with us a few miles later when I was on the next exit lane doing about 10 under getting ready to re-enter northbound and do another pull. I could have just ditched him but I had no idea what had happened. He didn't even light me up till he got right behind me.

Binder where I keep my registration has all my old track registrations in it. I tried to make them obvious and he saw them and asked about it and I said I was going to Vegas on the weekend to race and I was doing a test to see if I fixed a fuel problem for safety reasons and my roommate who knows nothing about cars was there to make sure I didn't get stranded (yes ).

"Okay well just keep it to the track now okay?" and he let me go. He was a DUI cop who had me nailed for driving like an idiot.

I know most people do tuning on the street and I suggest making a full drive of the road before making a pull on it, and not hanging around long enough to catch attention, especially if your car sounds like a race car. At this point I am only willing to do one pull on a street before leaving even if nobody is around. I did a test pull 2 months ago and a rentacop came out of the truck yard looking for racers and drove past me as I was pulled over looking at my datalog. He didn't know it was me but I didn't want to give him the chance to think about it more since I had not shut off my engine and the noise should have tipped him off just from idle.

Typically the urge to "do it" results in no consequences but in the end, one bad outcome will ruin the fun even on your favorite road.
    Last edited by Ondonti; 09-30-2010 at 03:43 AM.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    If that cop was really a car guy, he would have told you to slow down, or don't let me catch you doing that again, etc.. and NOT taken you to jail. He was probably asking you about the car becuase he was palying the bad cop/good cop game (all by himself LOL)
    later,
    Cindy
    ^^ Yep

Quote Originally Posted by trannybuster View Post
    NEVER plead guilty, wreckless driving is a mistermeanor ((spelling?)) and can be pleaded down, not like a speeding ticket, civil infraction, which your stuck with, well usually but its a money game so they change the rules by the color of your money.
    And Yep^^^ You can always go to the arraignment and see what the DA is willing to offer you on a reduction. Then, if you are not satisfied, you have the option of getting a lawyer. If they are willing to reduce it to a non moving violation, then you saved yourself the cost of the lawyer. If they will only reduce it to a speeding ticket or not at all.....hire a good lawyer.

Hybrid booster

I got a ticket a few years back that was a mandatory 6 month driving suspension. Since I drove for a living I had to fight it. $400 and 10 minutes with the DA my lawyer had it reduced to a $100 fine and have a nice day. It hurt to pay the $$$ but my record is clean. Get a lawyer.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firebaron90 View Post

Joe
    Haha good piont!

"Yeah it's got a catless 3-inch exhaust. I took the cat and burried it in the back yard. I also ripped out the rest of the emissions crap off too. It's got a custom burned chip, fabricated intake manifold, always have to mix in a little leaded gas when I really turn up the boost...."

I remember when I was a dumbass teenager and got caught for street racing, the cops were looking under the hood of my Horizon (because the damned thing wouldn't start after I got pulled over) They were actually looking for illegal modifications, which I have never heard of them doing in PA before or since. Maybe they just wanted to really teach me a lesson, which i deserved. The only thing they could recognize as a modification was the MSD box... which for whatever dumbass reason I actually had the CARB EO sticker for. That seemed to anger them even more. Then they were screaming at me for going that fast in a car that didn't have enough brake to stop fast enough. I should have just kept my mouth shut but instead I was a dumbass and said "Well actually I upgraded to brakes from a Shelby Charger...." To which the one cop just screamed "SHUT UP!" at me and slammed the hood down.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

boostaholic

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking of pleading guilty but it sounds like it's the last thing I should do. I guess I will check into a lawyer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast