Thread: quick disconnect a/f

quick disconnect a/f

i have 2 cars and one dawes device. the DD is installed in my spirit which is awaiting a turbo swap currently. I also have an 87 shelby z i picked up to play with. I was wondering if i could use like trailer light connectors so i could swap the DD between cars quickly and easily? or would the connector cause too much of a drop in accuracy?

Thank You
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

turbo addict

Re: quick disconnect a/f

as long as it makes a good connection it will be fine. You want to make sure that 1) it won't come loose from the vibrations of driving, and 2) that the pins on the connector are rated for a higher current than what the 02 output is.

I would recommend using a small PCB, soldering the wires to pins (on the DD), and using a terminal block that clips onto the pins as your connector on the end of the O2 (it'd have to be mounted somewhere, or else you'd want to do the reverse, putting the pins on the O2 and having an extra terminal block so the pins cannot short).

I can possibly get you some parts, or if nothing else, pictures of what I mean from work. We work with this kind of stuff a fair bit.

Jason

boostaholic

I would use a smaller conector than a trailer plug and put the plug in the car.

turbo addict

I think the ones he has in mind are a similar style, but much smaller scale. Ideally you want something with a locking mechanism (push and twist like BNC connectors).

i trimmed off the 4th wire since i didnt need it
    95 spirit 3.0/543 15.0@91 N/A, 14.5@96 on a 50 shot RIP 87 shelby Z - project car, maybe I can drive it this year 91 spirit - roll it, chop the top, do some burnouts! RIP

Hybrid booster

I was going to suggest the quick disconnect plugs used on R/C car batteries, they're tough, low resistance, and easy to install.

i just chose those cause i hd them lying round.....and 2 of one side and one of the other, so it was perfect fit