Thread: Intermittent Spark Issue

Intermittent Spark Issue

Ok I upgraded to the newer style coil that mounts by the t-stat housing and I think I have issues. One coil was just bad and it wouldn't even let me go more than 1/4 throttle before it would cut out. The current one installed will allow for WOT and part throttle, but randomly it will cut out like it's losing spark, but so far this has only happened while cruising in 5th at random speeds but very low throttle. A select number of times, the car will just shut off completely with power to everything but the spark. If I jiggle the wires, unplug the coil and replug it back up, it will work again. This happens rarely but it still happens. I have checked all the wires going to the HEP, swapped the HEP, swapped plug wires and checked for any discontinuity with the wiring from the sub harness to the plug and everything is good.

I guess it could be the power module, but I think I've swapped that as well with the same results. I may do that tomorrow and drive the car for a bit to see what happens, but it has been doing this since I went to that style coil. Since the one was bad, could this one be going bad? Both came from a parts yard. Should I just go get a new one from the dealer or has anyone else had issues with these style coils before? I have NO idea what model cars these came off, not sure if one year was better than the other. Anyways, any suggestions would be appreciated.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Intermittent Spark Issue

Are these the E-coils?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

I have no idea what an e coil is. It's the type that mounts by the thermostat. Not sure which car I pulled it from but it seems to be intermittent. It didn't do it for over a week and it just cut out today. It almost seems like a bad coil. I may just buy a new one.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Garrett booster

I have seen 2 different coils of this style. A completely encapsulated one and one that the metal fins are exposed. I am not sure of the differences in voltage if any. I do know that this style coil generally puts out 40k volts compared to the 20k volts the canister type did.

Your PCM would have a coil driver in it. It is uncommon but they do go bad. First I would check the terminals in the coil plug and look for corrosion anywhere in the circuit. I would also make sure your injectors are working properly. I know fuel was not mentioned, but brings up an issue I had here recently.

turbo addict

If the situation when you changed between the 2 coils hadnt altered i woulda said go at an ignition switch. I had posted quite a while back with a prob i had with my mini where sometimes it would randomly start other times it wouldnt and had no spark but everything else. I went all crazy with coils, hep, etc etc and it was simply the ig switch was no good. someone had pointed me in that direction as they had a similar issue and sure enough their advice paid off.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

I would just buy a new coil and put it back where it was, less heat and vibration.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

try a coil that is made for efi , one time ive used a efi coil on a carb and was a pita when running (propane lift with nissan motor) maybe you just have the wrong coil on it

turbo addict

Our harnesses are getting to an age where the insulation cracks up and you find it's a miracle that it was even working intermittently through the resulting green gunge.

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    try a coil that is made for efi , one time ive used a efi coil on a carb and was a pita when running (propane lift with nissan motor) maybe you just have the wrong coil on it
    I will check that. I hope it's just the wrong coil for a turbo car.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    Our harnesses are getting to an age where the insulation cracks up and you find it's a miracle that it was even working intermittently through the resulting green gunge.
    Man I thought that was the problem. I checked the wires and it's all clean, no breaks in the wires and no accidental grounding. I honestly was hoping for that problem. :-)

turbo addict

Check to see if you have the +- wired right way around , mix them up the coil will run for abit but it will soon overheat and shut down.

Hybrid booster

After you check for polarity, verify the pin fit by removing the pins from the connector and plugging them in without the connector. These coils do go bad, but I have never seen one go bad like you are describing.