Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big News on 91+ Hawk Brake pads

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Big News on 91+ Hawk Brake pads

All,

The Bad News:

I recently discovered that Hawk is discontinuing the 11" 91+ Front (RT) HPS and LTS Brake pads for our cars.

The Good News:

They had a large inventory of them and I just bought them all as an investment.

This will keep them for us instead of them being sold to aging fleet vehicles of caravans, etc. I have a large supply of them which should keep us in brake pads for quite some time and I can offer them at a reduced price.

They have arrived at a friends business due to the fact that they were on pallets so I will be able to start selling them shortly.

I bought these because I really believe they are a great pad. Additionally I believe the 91+ brakes are the best that are available for our cars. My wife even runs HPS pads on her car and after I changed them she told me how much she likes the extra stopping power and that they are quiet and don't squeal like her original pads.

I will post pictures of my sample set that they previously sent me this evening and figure out some introductory pricing.

-Rich

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Big News on 91+ Hawk Brake pads

Damn,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

whats the price of a set?

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cool. Great score.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Invisible Turbo Mopar Contributor mcsvt's Avatar

Great, my Sundance will be needing some.
    -Gary Mazzone-
    1986 GLHS #168

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyIroc View Post
    whats the price of a set?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbryant
    The Good News:

They had a large inventory of them and I just bought them all as an investment.

This will keep them for us instead of them being sold to aging fleet vehicles of caravans, etc. I have a large supply of them which should keep us in brake pads for quite some time and I can offer them at a reduced price that is TBD.
    Pffttttttt...
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Pffttttttt...
    Hehe well I am trying to figure out what kind of sale to run...

For the first week how about:

$40 a set for one set shipped

Order Here

That makes them 50% off retail or basically 2 for 1 with no shipping (or tax for non AZ residents).

I may increase the cost depending on how it goes. As you might guess I have a bunch of money tied up in these.

Here are the pictures:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawk Brake Pads 001.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	25872
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawk Brake Pads 005.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	25871

These pads didn't get chamfers before they discontinued them so they actually have more pad area than the normal ones and should last longer.

Chamfers are there to keep them quiet but they can easily be added with a file or grinder if desired.

Additionally most pads are chamfered on both edges even though it unnecessarily removes friction material just to make them symetrical so that the pads aren't "directional" and side specific and it prevents people from installing them incorrectly.

The chamfer is really only functional on back side of the pad (toward the rear of the tire) where the rotor turns up into the pad.

Note that Rockauto currently has the 60mm calipers for 11" brakes with brackets for $18 per side and rotors for $13:

Reman Calipers with Brackets:

A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4362
    Front Right; w/15" Wheels; OE Phenolic Piston;Supplied w/Mounting Bracket $17.99

A-1 CARDONE Part # 18B4363
    Front Left; w/15" Wheels; OE Phenolic Piston;Supplied w/Mounting Bracket
    $18.04

Rotor:

RAYBESTOS Part # 7992 More Information About this Part PG Plus; Outside Diameter 11.1" / 5 Bolt Holes

-Rich

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

What level of performance are these pads? Are they like oem replacement, or are they like a track compound or something?
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

This i guess is a noob question, but whats the difference between 90 and 91+ pads? I have a 90, but i thought i had the big brakes (never measured them though). And thanks for keeping them in the community!

Hybrid booster

subscribed
    Gene

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TonaChris View Post
    This i guess is a noob question, but whats the difference between 90 and 91+ pads? I have a 90, but i thought i had the big brakes (never measured them though). And thanks for keeping them in the community!
    The shape, size, mounting style of the pads, caliper and knuckle design are different. They are not cross compatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Force Fed Mopar View Post
    What level of performance are these pads? Are they like oem replacement, or are they like a track compound or something?
    These are the Hawk High Performance Street (HPS) Semi Metallic pad.

They are a street pad which is important because you don't have to heat them up for a lap before they work like you would with a race pad. They also don't have the high dust characteristics of a race pad

They are designed to give 20-40% more stopping power while still acting like a street pad that doesn't dust, squeal, or chew up rotors.

Here is the description from Hawk:

HPS - High Performance Street disc brake pads are world renowned for increasing stopping power on your street legal vehicle. Increasing the performance of your vehicles braking system is easy when you choose Hawk Performance’s HPS braking compound. This unique Ferro-Carbon formula was developed for street performance using the safety and quality of Aerospace and Motorsports severe-duty friction technology.

The High Performance Street compound offers a higher coefficient of friction over stock brake pads and can provide you 20-40% more stopping power and higher resistance to brake fade than most standard replacement pads. Less fade means you will have a highly durable brake pad with less brake dust.
    http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

So to more directly answer your question, they are more like a higher performance pad that you can use like an OEM pad.

-Rich

-

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    The shape, size, mounting style of the pads, caliper and knuckle design are different. They are not cross compatable.
    Thanks, Exactly right.

The calipers, knuckles, and pads are different on the 89/90 11" brakes than the newer 91+ brakes.

I have always stated that I feel that the 91+ brakes are better. This was my opinion well before I bought the pads that make me biased. It was also a big reason that I bought the pads.

Looking at reman prices, changing to the 91+ brakes can be done quite cheaply on the GJKHPA body cars.

The spindles are a dime a dozen at the junkyard because you can get them from a 10" brake car. Just get the spindle and leave the hub and 10" caliper bracket.

The caliper brackets and calipers can be obtained from a 91-94 caravan (but don't use the caravan spindles because they have the wrong tie rod machining and a 5x114 hub)

I think the calipers are still about $16 for an autozone reman.
    Rockauto has the calipers and brackets for $18!

The rotors are the same between all of the 89-93 11" brake cars.

The bolt in hubs are the same between the 89 11" cars and all 91+ cars.

Of course it will require an alignment so it is best to do this when changing struts.

-Rich

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

The caliper brackets and calipers can be obtained from a 91-94 caravan (but don't use the caravan spindles because they have the wrong tie rod machining and a 5x114 hub)
    Just make sure your pulling the parts from a van w/11" rotors. All 91+ vans got the 60mm caliper to put out the extra stopping power they needed, but they still came in two sizes, along with that bolt on adapter. One for the 10.25" rotor/pad and the other for the 11" rotor/pad combo.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

yeah Rich, thanks for keeping these in the TD community.....great job!

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Just make sure your pulling the parts from a van w/11" rotors. All 91+ vans got the 60mm caliper to put out the extra stopping power they needed, but they still came in two sizes, along with that bolt on adapter. One for the 10.25" rotor/pad and the other for the 11" rotor/pad combo.
    Ahh that makes sense...

I have both brackets and they almost look compatible but they must not be.

Here is the 10.25" (undesireable) caliper picture courtesy of rockauto and cardone:

Here is the 11" picture courtesy of rockauto and cardone:

The spacing on the bracket sliders is the same but the 11" bracket must be out a little farther to clear the rotor.

-Rich

If I got the $18 bracket/caliper combo and rotors which spindles would these bolt onto?
    you can't polish a turd! [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT][/COLOR]13.67@100.11

Quote Originally Posted by 4cefedomni View Post
    If I got the $18 bracket/caliper combo and rotors which spindles would these bolt onto?
    Any 91+ GJKHPA body spindle will work. The 10" and 11" ones were the same.

The Caravan's were slightly different because they have a 5x114mm hub (which can be swapped out) and the bigger issue is that their tie rod connection is machined in a different spot to reduce turning radius (which isn't desireable on a car).

-Rich

turbo addict

If you were converting a older van over to the 91 up setup you'd want to use the van spindle though correct?

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    If you were converting a older van over to the 91 up setup you'd want to use the van spindle though correct?
    Yes for a van it is probably best to stick with a van.

Although if you are careful to check for rub and not lock your wheel all the way in a fast turn the car spindle might allow you to have a shorter turn radius for slow speed turns.

-Rich

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast