Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED 3rd Brake Light

LED 3rd Brake Light

I know someone has thought about doing this, but has anyone actually done it? I'm talking about integrating an LED strip into the spoiler on an L body. I can't seem to find anything out there without an encasement. I had originally thought about the Supra, 2nd gen one for the turbo model, but I can't confirm how well that will fit.

Any thoughts or suggestions or has someone done this already?
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: LED 3rd Brake Light

That would be neat. What about just using an LED strip?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Oh I'm not opposed to that. The only issue I see is that the only flat part on the spoiler is only about a 1/4" thick, so the led strip needs to be thin. I'm sure thee is one out there that would work, it's just going to be finding one. I'm open to just about anything at this point, so any links from anyone would be useful. I have a spoiler to test.

[QUOTE=turbovanman;717075]That would be neat. What about just using an LED strip?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I'll give Blakemore a ring and see if he has an old college friend's email. IIRC he works in sales for a place that sells LED lights.

Cool deal. Let me get the dimensions.... (time goes by...) Ok. The usable area would allow for something 1/2" witall by about 1" thick before it would start interfering with the curve of the spoiler. And those dimensions are conservative to accommodate the necessary space for the excess fiberglass to keep it in place.

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    Cool deal. Let me get the dimensions.... (time goes by...) Ok. The usable area would allow for something 1/2" witall by about 1" thick before it would start interfering with the curve of the spoiler. And those dimensions are conservative to accommodate the necessary space for the excess fiberglass to keep it in place.
    Could you restate those dimensions again please? A picture may be even better.

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee.....!

Here you are. All done from my phone. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-24_09-26-36_50.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	390.7 KB 
ID:	25815   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-24_09-26-56_658.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	385.5 KB 
ID:	25816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-24_09-27-10_463.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	490.3 KB 
ID:	25817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010-09-24_09-27-45_601.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	437.3 KB 
ID:	25818  

So you want the part you would see from the back to be 1/2" tall, and it would extend into the wing up to 1" toward the front of the car. How wide across the rear of the car do you want it?

Sorry. It would need to be no taller than half an inch and it can be anything from 8"-12" wide. The thickness can't be more than an inch due to how the spoiler is shaped. Does that make sense?

turbo addict

out of stock

http://www.virtualvillage.com/24cm-r..._medium=shcomp

you could cut out a groove in the back of the wing and inset the LED's. then either leave it like that or fill in the groove with clear epoxy.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

Sorry. It would need to be no taller than half an inch and it can be anything from 8"-12" wide. The thickness can't be more than an inch due to how the spoiler is shaped. Does that make sense?
    Yes. I understand now.

Quote Originally Posted by shackwrrr View Post
    out of stock

http://www.virtualvillage.com/24cm-r..._medium=shcomp

you could cut out a groove in the back of the wing and inset the LED's. then either leave it like that or fill in the groove with clear epoxy.

Wow that just may work. I'll have to see about something like that. Not sure about the encasement though. I could set it in some epoxy, but I haven't ever done that before.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Yes. I understand now.
    Good deal! Thanks Brian and keep us posted!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

I am in the process of doing this myself.
    I have a thin strip of LED's from a car I dont remember what one I have had it for quite a few years (it's been over 5 years since I have touched the car) that should fit in the little flat spot in the wing and sit flush (not on top or bottom)
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by shmedley View Post
    I am in the process of doing this myself.
    I have a thin strip of LED's from a car I dont remember what one I have had it for quite a few years (it's been over 5 years since I have touched the car) that should fit in the little flat spot in the wing and sit flush (not on top or bottom)
    Pictures please? If you have a part number that would be good also. I'd like to start looking for the right piece.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Check the aftermarket spoiler mfr's for LED strips assemblies. They usually sell replacement assemblies for their own spoilers.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

http://www.oznium.com/led-flex-strips

I placed an order for some similar to these. We'll see if they get it right.

boostaholic

LED 3rd brake lights sometimes look silly because they light up faster than the incandescents.
    Pete Faggella 03 PT Cruiser, 2.4L N/A 5 speed. Daily driver. All stock with baby moon wheels. 85 LeBaron 2.2TBI auto. Hoped I'd see a difference with bumped compression, but I didn't. Still slow. "Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!'"

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor shmedley's Avatar

Pictures please? If you have a part number that would be good also. I'd like to start looking for the right piece.
    Next time I get over to my folks house I will take some pics and see if there are any part numbers. I can't guarantee any part numbers as it has been a long time since I got it
    Thanks Brad S. SDAC National Proud Member SDAC Chicago Proud Member 14 Ram 1500 86 Shelby Charger "Chicago Stock"

This is from a 9 or 10 eclispe spoiler. Its the spoiler that is chrome. Its 1/2 x 1 x about 12.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast