Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting base timing

Hybrid booster

Setting base timing

I have a few questions about setting the base timing on my caravan.

Which one is the number 1 plug wire? Is it the one closest to the driver side. I should know this...but I want to make sure I'm doing this correctly. So...which wire is it?

Which mark on the bellhousing am I aiming for? Right now, the timing mark on the flywheel is at the bellhousing mark closest to the firewall. Which one should it be at?

I know the basic procedure. Warm up the car...unplug coolant sensor...loosen distributor...turn until it gets where you want it...it's just the specifics that I need.

Thanks,

Matt

Hybrid booster

Re: Setting base timing

Edit...scratch that...I have number 1 as the cylinder closest to the passenger side, or at least that is what my distrubutor says. Now, which mark am I aiming for?

Hybrid booster

There should be a "0" mark on the bellhousing, but if I remember correctly the 0 is furthest from the firewall. Do you have an adjustable timing light or a set one?

Hybrid booster

Ok...from what I have read on TC.com and here, there is a zero mark...I can't seem to find it on my 568...THINK one of the marks is shorter...and I assume that is zero, and if it is, I have a 2* retard mark, zero, and then incriments of 2* with 12* being the mark closest to the firewall.

Oh, and is it normal to have a lot of smoke while timing the car? It's not black smoke, it's the thin white smoke...I think it's gas, but I'm not sure.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by altered7151
    There should be a "0" mark on the bellhousing, but if I remember correctly the 0 is furthest from the firewall. Do you have an adjustable timing light or a set one?
    I have a set one. Right now, I have the timing set so it is alligned with the last timing mark in the window. I think I might take it for a spin now.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

There should be a bunch of numbers on the bellhousing starting at 0 and towards the bellhousing, ending at 16 or 18 deg. You use the biggest mark to line up with the numbers.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

I don't have numbers on my bellhousing. So I just went with the last one. Which would either be 12* or 14* advance depending on which one I you assume is zero. Either way, it's running A LOT better now, and it doesn't have too much advance because I'm not hearing any detonation.

It feels really good to not be retarded anymore

Quote Originally Posted by The S is Silent
    I don't have numbers on my bellhousing. So I just went with the last one. Which would either be 12* or 14* advance depending on which one I you assume is zero. Either way, it's running A LOT better now, and it doesn't have too much advance because I'm not hearing any detonation.

It feels really good to not be retarded anymore

Glad you feel that way,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

The smoke is normal, youre just injecting a lot of fuel b/c of unplugging coolant TEMP sensor, the engine thinks it's cold, hence the higher RPM's.

Anyways, 0 mark is farthest from the fire wall, it should then go in intervals of 4, until it hits 16. I'd go around the bell housing and the timing marks and paint them flat black so theyre easier to read, that's what I did to mine and it made it a ton easier to read!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG PSI
    The smoke is normal, youre just injecting a lot of fuel b/c of unplugging coolant TEMP sensor, the engine thinks it's cold, hence the higher RPM's.

Anyways, 0 mark is farthest from the fire wall, it should then go in intervals of 4, until it hits 16. I'd go around the bell housing and the timing marks and paint them flat black so theyre easier to read, that's what I did to mine and it made it a ton easier to read!

Heh, I use yellow paint marker, way easier,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Heh, I use yellow paint marker, way easier,
    yah that's the color I used on my Spirit, remember my yellow and silver paint scheme? Man was it sexy! I just used model paint though. haha

yah that's the color I used on my Spirit, remember my yellow and silver paint scheme? Man was it sexy! I just used model paint though. haha
    Hahahaaa, DAD,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Hahahaaa, DAD,
    This is the Chuck as a cheerleader: Wow, go Dad, go! What a cheer...

Okay yah this had no relevance to the thread. haha

Hybrid booster

oh crap...increments of 4 with the closest one being zero? Are you sure? That means I'm running (calculates in his head) 28* advance on my timing without detonation. That is insane. I just want to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by The S is Silent
    oh crap...increments of 4 with the closest one being zero? Are you sure? That means I'm running (calculates in his head) 28* advance on my timing without detonation. That is insane. I just want to verify.
    Positive, I just checked on my 413. Dude that's disgusting, I dont think you are running that much, I think if you ran that much it would be so advanced that prior to the intake valve opening that it would hardly spark anything?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I beleive on a 5-speed the right (firewall side) edge is 14

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Hybrid booster

ok...nevermind. The numbers increase in increments of 4, the marks are in increments of 2. I didn't think to check on the a525 I have in the garage until just now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys.

I'm running 14 degrees advance. I'm good.

Oh yeah....thanks for the laughs too.

Hybrid booster

Positive, I just checked on my 413. Dude that's disgusting, I dont think you are running that much, I think if you ran that much it would be so advanced that prior to the intake valve opening that it would hardly spark anything?
    No, you were right. The numbers are in increments of 4. For some reason...I don't have numbers of my 568. I double checked on my 525...we're all good.

Thanks though.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Cool, my cars have always run good at 14*

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

14* is always good unless running non-intercooled or 14psi without upgraded fuel.

I've succesfully ran 16.5psi on stock fuel and stock intercooler - front mounted but I had the timing down to 11*, I was too afraid to jack it up to 14* - it would rattle if I got on it with that much timing...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast