Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installed a LU in the A413, definately worth it!

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Installed a LU in the A413, definately worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedon809 View Post
    I think he moved on to modding different cars. I will see what he says.
    Thank you sir,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I remember hearing that 600whp number too, but 600whp on a 2.0 might still be less peak torque than a 400whp 2.5..

IIRC DblTrbl also had a 9 or 10 sec neon with a 604. He might also have info on lockup converters.. since the small 604 converter and the 413 LU converter are the same thing.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

I have the info on what Steve did to the LU shaft to make it survive, he said raising the line pressure past 130 or so would snap the shaft time and time again.

He polished and heat treated the stocker to get it to hold a 2.4 and 610whp and 475ft/lbs.

He used a billet kevlar LU converter sold by pats performance converters for $750-900

turbo addict

The more i read about it the more i want a 904 LU shaft and LU torque converter with 904 slines installed put into a a413

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    I have the info on what Steve did to the LU shaft to make it survive, he said raising the line pressure past 130 or so would snap the shaft time and time again.

He polished and heat treated the stocker to get it to hold a 2.4 and 610whp and 475ft/lbs.

He used a billet kevlar LU converter sold by pats performance converters for $750-900
    Ouch, that's a bit too much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    The more i read about it the more i want a 904 LU shaft and LU torque converter with 904 slines installed put into a a413
    Nah, no reason why an aftermarket stock type A413 shaft properly built shouldn't work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Nah, no reason why an aftermarket stock type A413 shaft properly built shouldn't work.
    Last I knew Stephane made those in 300m 1st and were good to 600 or 800 whp, then switched to the 904 splines

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria View Post
    Last I knew Stephane made those in 300m 1st and were good to 600 or 800 whp, then switched to the 904 splines
    Good enough for me,

Interesting, I thought the connector at the front of the SMEC was for the LU as it matched the LU pigtail I took from another van? Seems either it was a fluke or ? as I found an 89 Van with LU at the PAP today, ended up cutting out the wiring harness from the 60 way to the SMEC as I didn't feel like tracing the wiring at the yard, but it goes thru the white starter connector, into the main wiring harness, then to the SMEC and to a relay!

turbo addict

IIRC it's bundled up with the fan wiring , starter wiring and reverse/neutral switch wiring usually, and it goes to the front plug somewhere on my SMEC.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    IIRC it's bundled up with the fan wiring , starter wiring and reverse/neutral switch wiring usually, and it goes to the front plug somewhere on my SMEC.
    It is, hence what I wrote earlier,

turbo addict

Ya, it sounded like you thought it was odd and needed confirmation

Garrett booster

any new updates on the wiring for the LU Trans hookup, adding my toggle switch this weekend to my 90 spirit T1 it has to go thru the speed sensor somehow because it comes in at 45 mph I have been checking it out on my 92 shadow very close. driving 70 miles mostly highway daily every little bit helps

turbo addict

The SMEC turns the LU clutch on & off using engine load, RPM and speed to determine when. Your toggle switch does not have anything to do with the speed sensor. You will simply have to be diligent and flip the switch when you need to. I've been doing that for 2 years now in my GLHT.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by mr glenn View Post
    any new updates on the wiring for the LU Trans hookup, adding my toggle switch this weekend to my 90 spirit T1 it has to go thru the speed sensor somehow because it comes in at 45 mph I have been checking it out on my 92 shadow very close. driving 70 miles mostly highway daily every little bit helps
    If you wire it into the SBEC, then you can alter its change point but if you using a toggle switch like i am for now, you simply put one side to power, one to ground.

Shelgame has given me the updated ASM file for the SMEC with the LU routine enabled, just haven't had time to load it up.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Side note: Just happened to notice last weekend that the lockup was unplugged on my '93 Clam. Plugged it back in... wow what a difference.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Side note: Just happened to notice last weekend that the lockup was unplugged on my '93 Clam. Plugged it back in... wow what a difference.
    Does it have a tach?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr glenn View Post
    As an alternative to manually activating the LU, or having the ECU do it, you can use a vacuum switch from a 70s GM car, then just hook one side to an ignition switched power, and the other side to the solenoid, this is in addition to the toggle, only because it would still be on when you came to a stop. BUT, you won't have to remember to hit it thereby saving more gas since it would be automatic...

Mike
    Last edited by zin; 10-29-2010 at 05:51 PM.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Well set the brake to cut it out, the vacuum to cut it in. That should work pretty good I would have thought... but would still take a little adaption, unless you're gently riding the brake at low speeds it could stall.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Does it have a tach?
    No, not yet. Was thinking about checking the difference with my scanner tho.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

I wonder if there would be a way to tie a pressure switch into the trans to have it only come on in 3rd gear and tie that into the circuit?
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast