Thread: Wanted to trade koni coilovers for GLHS Koni's

Hybrid booster

Wanted to trade koni coilovers for GLHS Koni's

On my 86 Shelby Charger I have new fwdp koni coil overs on the car, I'm finding them too harsh for our highways up here in Canada, so Im looking for a softer option.

I'm wondering if anyone was willing to trade for a set of really nice GLHS konis and springs?

The coliver kit has maybe 2000 miles on them they are about 2 years old.

If so let me know
    Thanks
    Steve

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Wanted to trade koni coilovers for GLHS Koni's

I might, what kind of rush are you in? I won't be getting the car for another month.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Mitsu booster

I have a set of koni's I'd be willing to trade. I believe theyre the originals so they're still 23 years old, but if your up for the trade then PM me

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTurboZ View Post
    On my 86 Shelby Charger I have new fwdp koni coil overs on the car, I'm finding them too harsh for our highways up here in Canada, so Im looking for a softer option.

I'm wondering if anyone was willing to trade for a set of really nice GLHS konis and springs?

The coliver kit has maybe 2000 miles on them they are about 2 years old.

If so let me know
    Thanks
    Steve
    What spring rates are you running??
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

what year and models fit?

Hybrid booster

I believe they were around the 200-300 mark for the spring rates, they were the lowest you could get at the time.

I'm in no big rush, I'm hoping to get this done by spring.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by CDNTurboZ View Post
    I believe they were around the 200-300 mark for the spring rates, they were the lowest you could get at the time.

I'm in no big rush, I'm hoping to get this done by spring.
    i wouldnt trade brand new koni's for some beat up 20 year old ones.......

i suggest trying to find yourself another set of springs. the only benefit I can see would be that the old koni's have the big perch so you could use stock springs or LRE ones....your also going to loose the ability to raise and lower your car to your desired ride height....

i would try to find yourself another set of springs for the setup your currently running. I have 400 front and 300 rear on my car. ya shes harsh, but its not a DD and ive gotten use to it over the years.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    i wouldnt trade brand new koni's for some beat up 20 year old ones.......

i suggest trying to find yourself another set of springs. the only benefit I can see would be that the old koni's have the big perch so you could use stock springs or LRE ones....your also going to loose the ability to raise and lower your car to your desired ride height....

i would try to find yourself another set of springs for the setup your currently running. I have 400 front and 300 rear on my car. ya shes harsh, but its not a DD and ive gotten use to it over the years.
    I'm willing to take a hit on not being able to adjust ride height, I'm just finding that spring rate to be way too still for me. I don't think I can get any softer than what I got from Cindy.

I forgot to mention for the GLHS konis I would be looking for a rebuilt set.

turbo addict

The GLHS konis with the original springs is a harsher ride than the new Koni coilovers FWD sells.

I bought my set from Cindy and have 450lb front and 350lb rear Eibachs and it rides much softer than my original Konis which had only 20k miles on them.

I would reconsider this trade. Especially if you find the original GLHS setup harsher than the coilovers like I did, then you'll really be dissapointed.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Sometimes a boucy ride can be misunderstood as too stiff. My recomendation would be to actually stiffen up your dampening before making the downgrade to GLHS Konis.

Of course, if you want a softer ride, why not sell your Konis outright and head down to to the parts store for some Monoroe struts and Moog springs?
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the input guys, before I put the car away for the winter I'll try stiffining up the damping, I'm going to see if I can find a set of stock SC springs (I already have a set of new KYB's that I never used with a full rear setup as well) And I might try that first before doing anything too drastic.

Hybrid booster

I'm with the other guys in this thread, thinking the same thing. If you want to trade, I'm down. I've got a very nice set of OEM GLHS Koni's with Mopar autox springs on them. But I'll be honest with you, the ride of the coilovers is better. My dads GLHT has Koni coilovers with 400/300 springs and it rides noticably better then my GLHT with the GLHS Koni's w/ Mopar autox springs. I already have a set of coilovers waiting to go in my GLHT, and those will have 450/350 springs.

I agree, adjust the dampening. If you car is not raced at all, you could probably go with a little softer spring then you have now. The stock springs are pretty wimpy, so if you're trying to duplicate that ride quality, it should be tough, you'll just need softer springs. The springs are nothing special, just a normal Eibach spring, 2.5"dia front and 2.25"dia rear. You can order them from Summit in just about any spring rate you could ever want, for about half the price of FWDP.

There was a thread here with the stock spring rates. I'll see if I can find it...

Edit, here we go!

Lbody springs rates...

Front Springs:

85 lb/in. Standard
    120 lb/in. HD
    145 lb/in. Shelby
    180 lb/in. MP Autocross and Rallying
    195-200 lb/in. LRE autox

Rear Springs:

90 lb/in. Standard
    110 lb/in. HD
    135 lb/in. Shelby