Thread: Jensen Interceptor SP

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Jensen Interceptor SP

My cousin just scored this... Chrysler 440's show up in the strangest places... This one is a 520ci 6-pack stoker.... The Jensen Interceptor is a hand made British sports car available with either a 383 or a 440 for power. The SP is a Six Pack version although this ones a clone. It's 100% accurate and uses all factory parts, save for the stroker motor... The only difference is that it wasn't built in the factory.

Here's a quick video with open headers... Notice at the end the image on the camera was shaking from the motor... It sounds very healthy...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jensen_1.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	25653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jensen_2.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	25654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jensen_3.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	25655  

Re: Jensen Interceptor SP

don't forget the Bristol made in England.

turbo addict

do want.

I think I heard that it was reports of these cars doing "ton up" runs on the M1 that caused the national speed limit to be introduced in the UK

Hybrid booster

I've always loved those cars.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

I've owned a number of those Interceptors over the years(including a national concours winning example with RHD and a webasto sunroof). Fun cars to be sure-just a few things to look out for:
    The wiring is a nightmare as the headlight circuit runs directly to the interior rocker switch(no relays whatsoever!) Melted and overheated switches are common. It is imperative that the headlights are rewired with relays. Also, fans tend to be problematic and fail quite often, even when they work, cooling is marginal. I recommend upgraded fans. Underhood heat is also brutal and leads to brittle wiring and vapor lock. Many owners added louvers, better fans and more efficient radiators.

Good luck with it-SPs are cool indeed. The only Jensen I might prefer would be the 4wd FF or the very rare(16 built) manual trans cars.

SP
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

Garrett booster

Lovely Interceptor.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadWarrior222 View Post
    I think I heard that it was reports of these cars doing "ton up" runs on the M1 that caused the national speed limit to be introduced in the UK
    ..It was actually AC Cars test drivers in a Cobra that was clocked at 186mph on the M1 in '64. They were doing shakedown tests for the LeMans 24hrs

The car has louvers in the hood; it's a factory SP piece and it was parked due to electrical issues... In a field with the windows down...

My cousin's plan is to fight with Lucas, aka the prince of darkness and put the car on the road with minimum work. If it gets to be too much he's going to yank the motor for his GTX.

Love the old stories of what manufactures got away with back in the day. Especially the ones about their backdoor racers that really weren't streetable... I heard a story of a 65 Corvette test mule for the L88 that Zora Duntov wanted shipped from Mi to Az and there were no transports available. So he had an employee drive the car... 500+hp, 4spd, 3.08 gears and 3" header sidepipes... There was a low speed cooling issue with the car so he was told to keep his speed up... He kept to the back roads and averaged something like 80mph...

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor ForzaV12's Avatar

If its not rusty, it would be a shame to gut it for the motor. They really are fun cars to drive.
    The wiring is problematic, but once relays and a few other simple fixes are performed, they are pretty reliable.
    87 GLHS ,66 Hemi Coronet, 69 Road Runner, 70 Challenger-"Vanishing Point", 68 Road Runner "Petty",69 ZL1 Corvette,2016 Scat Pack Challenger,67 Corvette vintage racer,Cadillac ATS Turbo, 66 GTO road racer,67 911S, Ford V Ferrari Porsche 906 and Ferrari P3

It was parked in a grass yard for 4 years with the windows down... Yeah it's a little rusty. Not as bad as you think but bad enough...

Its probably savable but would require lots of work and fab to get it right. Still he hopes to drive it and treat it like a rat rod.

turbo addict

Do want......

I have always wanted one of the European sports cars hot rodded with a Mopar big block. It would be great to see this car restored.
    Save an old turbo mopar for a rainy day. “Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal.” --Henry Ford

looks like a daily driver for sure