Thread: Power lock mechanism, but not in door lock?

Mitsu booster

Cool Power lock mechanism, but not in door lock?

Hi, I'm the proud owner of a '87 Le Baron Convertible, it has power locks and works great, but I'm really surprised that the power locks does not activate from the door lock, you must open de door and press the button on the door panel...while the passenger is waiting. I think is really strange considering that the car talks and it's all digital Is there any mode to convert this system to a power lock activate directly from the door lock?? I think that would be a little plastic piece atached to the door lock, and then wire it to the button on the same door panel...

Thank you!
    Eduardo

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Re: Power lock mechanism, but not in door lock?

I think all Chryslers of this vintage are this way. My 1993 Plymouth operstes this way as well.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Mitsu booster

Thanks for your reply! And there's anyway to maybe, adapt one from other similar vehicle?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

IF there was a key-less entry option or one adaptable from another maker, you could go that way, but I have no idea how they interact with the door locks... If they are integrated into the car's electronics, it probably would be too much work to convert, but if there was a factory option, you'd be golden!

Good luck!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Mitsu booster

I think also that a system integrated will be so hard to adapt, but I could think about it... the universal key-less adaptor for power locks seems the best option, I will try this. Thank you!

turbo addict

you could listen for a relay to click on and off when you open and close your door, then rig something creative up.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

Most Chryslers and quite a few other cars have the door locks with a switch. Central locking (where the rest of the locks move with the driver's door) isn't very common. My 1996 Outbacks have it, though. Your best (and almost only) bet would to be to install keyless entry. There is a "kit" at Autozone for I think $35. You also need to add in a door lock relay module to operate the locks thanks to Chrysler's reverse polarity door lock system.

The key lock thing was more of a foreign car thing originally although some of the newer cars use them now. I'd recommend installing a key less entry system with a remote. They're usually fairly reasonable price wise. The only hard part is our cars use a 5 wire control system. The switches actually switch the load to the actuator and the other side provides the ground rather then a internal relay in the car. If you haven't installed a key less on a older Chrysler they can be a little confusing. They should come with a wiring instruction set or arne't usually very expensive to have professionally installed.

turbo addict

my 92 daytona had power locks, when i had a code alarm put in, when i pressed the unlock button, both doors unlocked