Thread: AWESOME autox weekend!!

Hybrid booster

AWESOME autox weekend!!

I went to the track yesterday for the autox hosted by "Corvettes of MN". It was probably the most fun autox event I've ever ran, it was AWESOME!!! The Corvette guys like to open up the course a little, and you can get a little more speed. I was ok with that for sure!! It allowed me to use what little HP my stock GLHT makes, to run away from the N/A Miatas in my class. I have a map of the course, I'll have to post that up here. The track really seemed like it was built for the GLH! Ususally we're in second gear the whole time. On this course, I was WELL into third a couple different time, we were flyin!! It was fun because there were a few turns where you come in to it so hard, when you let off the back end starts to come around, like you're on the edge of control the whole time, which made it a blast!! I won my class, and also cleaned up on a pile of cars that should definitely have beat me(including several Z06 Vette's and a Viper RT/10). Basically, the course was so fast, many people got going TOO fast, and had to really slow in the turns. My log T1 power was enough to get me up to speed, but not enough where you get out of control. Overall, it was just an AWESOME day of racing. I'm not sure how well I did overall in the field of about 90 cars, but I'm sure I was up there. I'll post the overall results/standings once I have them.

In this first pict, it's kind of tough to tell, but I'm just exiting a high speed 45deg right hand turn, and the back end is sliding out a little bit. You can see the LF tire is turned left just a little bit as I'm trying to keep it straight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0618.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	25528   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	25529   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0575.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	25530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0609.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	25531   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0610.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	25532   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2900.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	25584  

Last edited by sy2206; 09-15-2010 at 01:22 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: AWESOME autox weekend!!

Great pictures as usual. Your threads along with the autocross at SDAC this year have convinced me to take out the blue car as is next year and autocross it. Myself and Joy think we will have a great time.

turbo addict

Autocross is fun. To bad the local "club" is very clique, and rather stuck up. Burned me bad enough I wont go back again. Looks like you had fun thou!

Hybrid booster

OK, the official results are in. I finished 1st in my class, and 28th overall in raw time. The raw time is exactly what it is, uncorrected actual time through the course. They also have a PAX correction factor, that esentually makes all cars equal. Obviously there's no way for that to be 100%, but it's as good as it gets. On the PAX index I finished 21st overall.

Wow, good for you.

How many ladies are out there with you guys?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Nicely done

What class are you running?

AWESOME

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by sy2206 View Post
    It was fun because there were a few turns where you come in to it so hard, when you let off the back end starts to come around, like you're on the edge of control the whole time,
    That's a good feeling for sure! Nice showing but don't get used to that motor for too long

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Nice, that does look like a fun course, kinda halfway between Auto X and Solo I

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

Thanks for all the comments guys!

There were about 5 girls running. Mostly wives of some of the guys. I'm running in SCCA class "ES", which stands for E-stock. My biggest competition is 94-99 Miata's.

Mike, yeah, with Masi drivetrain the car will most definitely take some getting used to. But on top of that, it'll also have a cage, coilovers, 4-wheel disc, and a 568 w/ a quaife. So next year it's going to be a whole different car.

Quote Originally Posted by sy2206 View Post
    Thanks for all the comments guys!

There were about 5 girls running. Mostly wives of some of the guys. I'm running in SCCA class "ES", which stands for E-stock. My biggest competition is 94-99 Miata's.

Mike, yeah, with Masi drivetrain the car will most definitely take some getting used to. But on top of that, it'll also have a cage, coilovers, 4-wheel disc, and a 568 w/ a quaife. So next year it's going to be a whole different car.
    Excellent. Joy will be happy to receive this report.

Also, you will need to take many more pics next year when the masi motor is in there. That is going to be sweet!

Hybrid booster

Added a pict of the track map...

Hybrid booster

Nice Mike! Way to beat up on those ES Miatas. Good to hear the GLHT is just as dominant as it was 24 yrs ago!

Can't wait to see the Masi powered monster but it sounds like you've got the killer stock class setup going now.