Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joy's Daytona

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Joy's Daytona

Quote Originally Posted by roachjuice View Post
    Which knuckles are those with the bolt in bearings?
    The stock 89' big brake knuckles. If I'm not mistaken all the big brake cars received the bolt in bearings, but only with the switch to the cast arms did the regular cars receive them.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

Have you had any more ignition/code 54 issues? A while back I went through every harness connector between the HEP, Ignition Coil, and the SBEC on my Daytona. I scuffed up each pin/socket with a small needle file, sprayed them out with electrical cleaner, blew them out with compressed air, and smeared them with dielectric grease. I've got a few thousand miles on the car since then without so much as a hiccup.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrackerbox View Post
    Have you had any more ignition/code 54 issues? A while back I went through every harness connector between the HEP, Ignition Coil, and the SBEC on my Daytona. I scuffed up each pin/socket with a small needle file, sprayed them out with electrical cleaner, blew them out with compressed air, and smeared them with dielectric grease. I've got a few thousand miles on the car since then without so much as a hiccup.
    I haven't had the problem since I replaced the alternator on it when we got back from SDAC. With nothing other than the alt changed we went from barely being able to drive to no issues. It's a strange one for sure.

Hey Cordes! If you make it to TURBOPALOOZA this year I have 3 wood dash sets to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGBRUDDA View Post
    Hey Cordes! If you make it to TURBOPALOOZA this year I have 3 wood dash sets to choose from.
    Oh, boy. I've been dying to go the last couple of years but couldn't make it due to various commitments. I really hope I can come this year, and the potential to have a shot at such a rare piece is some serious icing.

Well, I got the wood grain dash pieces isntalled last weekend along with some white center caps to go with the wheels. The car looks way better on the inside now and I still have a newer looking center consul lid to put on too. The guy from the paper came by to do the shoot for Gearhead of the Week. I'm hoping to be in it next weekend, but it kind of depends on how many he had in front of me.

We need pics! And an ETA on the little blue Omni that could. Paint soon? I owe you for the help with mine.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    We need pics! And an ETA on the little blue Omni that could. Paint soon? I owe you for the help with mine.
    I'll try to snap some this afternoon.

I just updated the Omni thread. Paint won't happen this year for sure, but there will be some excitement for it. I had to grab a FSM from the garage today and I noticed that there was a funny noise coming from the Omni's hood. I looked under there thinking that it was some sort of an animal that got in the garage. It was actually the 525 shaking uncontrollably.

The 525 is where it's at.
    [SIZE="3"] [B]Jon Trotter[/B][/SIZE] [B]1985[/B] Dodge Shelby Charger, Currently decommissioned [B]1987[/B] Shelby GLHS, #937 [B]1987[/B] Shelby Lancer, #628 [QUOTE=Reeves;587010]I can be ready. Please send pics of wife. _____DodgeZ add comments here______[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by minigts View Post
    The 525 is where it's at.
    The 3.87FD in this thing will probably help it live as traction will be nonexistent.

Some more progress over the last couple of days. I installed the Rich Bryant BC coilovers and did an alignment in the garage. It was a first for me doing it properly with the tiles to level the car etc. I'm very surprised at how well it came out, although I did take a huge amount of time triple checking everything.

He old struts in place:

The old struts out of the car:

The car was SLAMMED with the new struts in place. The pic doesn't do the low ride height justice.

I used the olde bucket method to level out the floor. I had already marked the position of the plates. I took a measurement in the center of each square and recorded the reading on the scale of the level

This little guy came and had a seat on the wheel after I put the tiles under the tires. He hung out for quite a while.

Here is a picture of the string up on the jack stands. I used salt in between the top two tiles and it didn't seem to do very well. Perhaps it was the high humidity? Either way I had to have Joy come out and hold the wheel while I made the toe adjustments. I got super lucky and the camber happened to be exactly -.6* on each side so that was very fortuitous. I used a caliper to measure the center point of each wheel and then took into account the difference in track width between the front and rear. Then I went to the front and used the numbers I had calculated for 1/16" toe out to set each side. The test drive afterward proved that everything went well. I think the last guy to align the car didn't pick up on the failing L/F wheel bearing and it always pulled to the right a tad. Now the wheel is dead straight and the car tracks likewise.

I think we made the right choice regarding the spring rate for the struts as it rides well on soft and is noticeably firmer on hard. I think the car will still be great to take a long road trip in and still can handle fairly well for some autocross.

turbo addict

How did you go about adjusting the camber?

I like the idea of the bucket, water and hose to figure out what's needed to make the floor level!
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    How did you go about adjusting the camber?

I like the idea of the bucket, water and hose to figure out what's needed to make the floor level!
    The bucket was exceptionally easy. I didn't have to make any camber adjustment as I got super lucky and both sides were right at about -.6*. If I would have needed to I would have attempted to make the adjustment with the stock camber bolts. If I couldn't have done it with the car down I would have done it with the car in the air being sure to add or take out however many degrees were needed and then double checking when back on the ground. I've actually done that part before and I got close enough on the rear of my neon to be off by the same amount on each side. I think the lack of leveling the car that time is what caused it to be off some.

turbo addict

That's nice to not have to make many adjustments. I was trying to figure out how to go about adjusting the camber while using a setup like you did. Then I realized that planning ahead would have given 2 spots to make level for jackstands so that camber could have been adjusted. I never bothered trying to change the camber with a car on the ground when I was a tech; looked like a quick way to screw up an arm if/when the suspension shifted when the bolts were loosened.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

I took apart the old struts to keep the springs today. I noticed that the strut hat bearings would be pretty ideal to make a set of alignment plates for the front of the car. They're definitely what I'll set the tires on next time I do an alignment. Joy had to hold the wheel and it was a bit of a pain that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I took apart the old struts to keep the springs today. I noticed that the strut hat bearings would be pretty ideal to make a set of alignment plates for the front of the car. They're definitely what I'll set the tires on next time I do an alignment. Joy had to hold the wheel and it was a bit of a pain that way.
    How would you use them Brian? Not sure I understand the part you're referring to and how you would use it.

turbo addict

The upper strut mounts turn really easy with a little bit of weight on them. It wouldn't be too difficult to fab up some plates to rest the car on. Granted they would have to be damn near centered under the tires to turn properly.

The upper strut mounts turn really easy with a little bit of weight on them. It wouldn't be too difficult to fab up some plates to rest the car on. Granted they would have to be damn near centered under the tires to turn properly.
    A little bit of weight to say the least. I was thinking about it today and if my minute or two of thought is correct, everything but the unsprung weight rests on those for the front half of the car. You're right that they would need to be centered almost perfectly.

Jon, it's not a very good picture, but you can see the round bearing to the right in this pic. It's probably only 3" wide which is the real problem. If I could get it centered under the tire I could make some sweet bearing plates though.

turbo addict

I think you'd be better off with some steel plates and a bunch of marbles or ball bearings. A cage for them would take some time but certainly doable.

I think you'd be better off with some steel plates and a bunch of marbles or ball bearings. A cage for them would take some time but certainly doable.
    That's not a bad idea either. The salt on floor tiles didn't come close to cutting it this time so something will have to change for sure.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast