Thread: 454 El Camino SS

boostaholic

454 El Camino SS

Last night on my way home I stopped and filled up with E-85. Usually I run a 50/50 mix of 93 and E-85, but I wanted to run some tests with straight E-85. I knew I'd be running way too lean if I left the boost at 26psi, so I dialed it down to stay safe. I opened my cut-out before leaving the gas station.

The last stop light before the highway entrance was red, as I come to a stop my car is making that low rumbling gurgle that only a turbo 2.4L makes. Something you can only hear when my cut-out is open, but is quite loud. Kind of makes it sound like I have a much bigger engine than what I really have. I come to a stop behind a really nice looking El Camino SS. I'm not a fan of El Camino's, but this one looked great. I see his plates say "454 SS", so I know he has a big block under the hood. He also had some nice fat tires on the back. The sound of my exhaust must have caught his attention, because I see him adjusting his mirror to check out my car. He gives a little rev to let me hear his big block (even if it's a Chevy, you gotta appreciate that sound!). Then as the light turns green he chirps the tires.

I keep pace with him onto the on-ramp. Just as we enter the highway, he floors it, so I do the same. I look down at my boost gauge, only boosting 19psi, but AFRs are on the upper limit of safe. I know my car is in the mid 13 second range at this boost level. I look up, and I have kept pace with the 454 SS. He hasn't pulled ahead at all, but I haven't really gained on him either. Then my phone rings, it's the wife, gotta slow down and answer it.

A couple miles down the road, the 454 SS slows down and pulls over into the right lane. I pull up even with him, and he hangs out of his window looking over my car with a "WTF" look on his face (I still have lots of rubber plastered down the side of my car from my slicks). I drop it into 3rd so he can hear my 4 cylinders of fury! He laughs and shrugs. I try to get him to go, and punch it. Boost hits and I'm several cars ahead almost instantly. He didn't bite. I slow back down, but he stays behind me until I finally reach my turn. I gave him a wave and a thumbs up as I make my turn and he continues on down the highway.

I had to get to an open house at my son's school to meet his new teacher, so when I got home I hopped into my wife's car and off we went. Then just as we're getting out of the car, there's the 454 SS! We took the last parking spot on that side of the school, so he had to drive around the other side. I was going to go talk to him, but we had to get into the school. Looking out the window from my son's classroom I saw his car parked on the other side of the school, but didn't see the guy while we were in there.

I was surprised to keep up with this car with only 19psi. At the 26psi I usually run, I'd think I'm probably pretty close to the same power level a 454 puts out, and that car probably weighs about the same as mine, so it'd be a pretty good match-up. At 19psi I'd think it'd pull away easy, but it didn't. I don't know if he didn't want to go again because I kept up with him the 1st time, or if he just thought my car was a joke and didn't want to play anymore.

Funny thing is, people think I do this sort of thing all the time when they see my car, but this is actually the 1st time anyones tried to mess with me while driving around.

Hybrid booster

Re: 454 El Camino SS

Fun story! I'm not too suprised you kept up with him, if he is running pump gas, he might not be any faster than mid 13s. Most of the big block cars from the mid 60s through the early 70s were only 14 second cars anyway, a few might do better, but honestly, back in the day, I've driven 15 second 396 Chevelles, GTOs and 383 Roadrunners.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Bad Mother Flecker Turbo Mopar Staff fleckster's Avatar

I'd be willing to be his car is a bit heavier than yours. Remember that they are still body on frame designs. They usually tip the scales at least 3600 lbs or so. I doubt your Sebring is quite that heavy. You might have a 150-200lb advantage. (Nice!)

My neighbor down the street has a VERY nice '70 El Camino SS. Not sure what engine but the Flowmaster exhaust makes nice noises as he slowly idles by.

Nice run and thanks for sharing!

John M. Fleck

'83 Dodge Rampage 2.2 w/ 2.5L Turbo 14.79@94
    '87 Shelby Lancer #213 14.99@94
    '89 Chrysler LeBaron GT Turbo 'vert 15.88@92
    '92 Dodge Spirit R/T 13.50@104 ; 13.34@102 on slicks
    '98 Dodge Neon R/T 15.66@89
    '03 Dodge SRT-4 13.91@98

boostaholic

I tip the scales at 3425lbs with me in the car. I tried to find how much an El Camino SS weighs and found something saying 3400lbs, so add a driver, and it would be slightly heavier. He had a big cowl hood on it, a nice silver and black paint scheme, and a black vinyl button down cover over the bed.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Most el caminos with a big block are going to be well over 3400 lbs. I looked up some specs and it seems there are many that show curb weights under 3400 but its for base models (many of which have 6cyls) and presumably dry, and with little or no options. For example, the weight difference between an old 250ci I-6 or 4.3 V6 and a 454 big block is over 200 lbs right there. Add on the heavier weight of an automatic, a/c, 25 gallons of fluids and a driver.. and even the lightest body styles would be WELL over 3400 with a big block. The bigger body styles would probably be 4000 lbs.

Also, keep in mind that the power a big block puts out... is all over the map. If it's a stockish smog-era motor with headers and shiny pulleys and bad tuning it might be 230hp. But if you raced a 4000 lb el camino that kept up with you, it was probably making 350-400hp.
    Last edited by Vigo; 09-09-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Wasn't aware you resolved the tranny issues Josh! Sounds like a fun run, good job!
    [FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Wasn't aware you resolved the tranny issues Josh! Sounds like a fun run, good job!
    Well I updated those threads. Karl wasn't aware either, he spotted me on Riverside over in his neck of the woods the same day this happened, he pulled up next to me honked, and yelled "So I guess you got your tranny fixed!".

Yes about $2400 later the transmission is fixed. The other issue I had after getting the car back from the shop magically resolved itself while the car was parked in my garage untouched for a week while I was laid up on bed rest.

I should be at the next meeting, hope to see you there!