Thread: Smoking exhaust.

boostaholic

Smoking exhaust.

Well, i've been having problems with my shelby sometimes smoking at idle....my current exhaust is a 2.5 pipe from the downpipe straight into a glass pack out the side of the car...By eliminating the cat and regular muffler, will my exhaust smoke alittle more then usaul...? It only does it when it drops to idle at a dead stop...driving its fine......and i've also noticed when the weather temp is alittle cooler.....anyone else experiance this?

Tom

Re: Smoking exhaust.

My Sundance smokes at idle, I think some ring lands are gone. I had a friend drive behind me, smokes on decel but I can't see it in my mirror.
    Two of these came out of my Charger a couple years ago, smoked like crazy!

later Dick Westerhof

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

What color is the smoke?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Taking the cat out will make it smoke more as the cat will eat some of it. As cordes said, what colour?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

boostaholic

Ok...after driving it after replacing the head gasket, i found that it still smokes. Only on cold starts...its weird...for instance, yesterday morning it was in the 40s and i left the car outside for the night...i started it up...no smoke...i let it warm up for about 5-10 minutes before driving to work with it...so i start to drive it..and a couple miles down the road i get stopped at a train...then out of no where it starts smoking like crazy...i have to give it some RPM to make it stop the smoking....its a whitish smoke...after the car was runing for a good 20 minutes, i have no problems with smoke....

Then comes the ride home...i try starting the car after its been sitting for 10 hours....for some reason its idling like complete crap..so i have to rev it up for a couple of minutes to get it to idle correctly....(usaually on cold starts it will rev up to about 1500 and gradually come down to 900)...anyhow...after a minute it starts to smoke again.....i get pissed and gun it out of the parking lot...i come to a stop sign and i am pretty sure i saw a blewish tinted smoke soming out of the exhaust now...WTF.....when i did the head gasket i checked for shaft play on the turbo...there was more then i would of liked....(side to side movement)

I've also been noticing the turbo is whisling a little louder then usaul....but then again it could be from removing the cat.......

The car boosts awesome.....but i am also having problems ith adjusting my g-valve...it keeps hitting over boost....i've turned it down 3 times now and still does it....a shady gvalve maybe?

I plan on buying a leak down tester sortly and doing that test..i bought this CB with 10,000 miles on the rebuild....i've already put a new crank in with new bearings as the old ones were shot...about the only thing i havn't touched on this engine is those rings and pistons...maybe its time......

Tom

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Post up the results of the leak down test. That will probably tell the tale.

turbo addict

Sounds about like mine with the random smoking, The turbo seals are coked up. I saved mine by taking the turbo off and filling the oil side with power steering fluid and letting it sit.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

boostaholic

Well, if the leakdown test comes back with good results...i will suspect the turbo....for my tax return check i will be buying a nice big turbo..

turbo addict

dont forget about the valve seals... when you had the head off, was the oily residue in the exhaust ports? is there oil fouling on the plugs?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89ShelbyGuy View Post
    Well, if the leakdown test comes back with good results...i will suspect the turbo....for my tax return check i will be buying a nice big turbo..
    You can still have good leakdown and bad oil rings.

If this low mile motor had bad bearings, I would bet it has bad rings too or was never rebuilt.

Did you have the head resurfaced? Are the seals good? Guides not dropping?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Something else you might want to check ... oil bypassing the manifold gasket. Seen this a couple times now.

Manifold bolts, (4 of them) reach into the head bolt chamber. A head ... especially held with studs .. will have these chambers full of oil. The exhaust manifolds heat eventually breaks down the manifold gaskets seal and since the oil is flowing along the bolt already, the intake starts to draw some into the runner(s). It may be only one or two runners effected at first. Learned to thread seal all manifold fasteners because of this.

boostaholic

Well, i havn't done a leakdown test, but yesterday i put the shelby in my winter storage...had enough of it for this year....i am leaning towards a turbo...the smoking is getting worst...i want to say its a blueish tinted smoke....its not pure white....it smells like crap...i wanna say it smells like coolant getting burning off....but i really can't tell....it only happens with it idles. it will puff away....

Next spring i plan on putting some new rings in and a new turbo.....i will try and see if i can find the problem first....but we will see.

Tom

Garrett booster

Compression test and leakdown. Post results.

Garrett booster

just another possibility, but you said you have been hitting overboost with your mbc. Could you have damaged the engine?
    Last edited by boboli; 10-04-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: can't spell

boostaholic

If i would have damaged my engine i would think i would be able to tell...the car still pulls awesome...idles great...great oil pressure...no knocks....the smoking only happens at idle.....one thing i did notice is that my catch can isn't filling up with oil anymore.....so i was going to try a new pcv valve....better to spend a couple bucks rather then 40 bucks on a leakdown tester.....we will see..

Tom

Hybrid booster

sounds like your PCV isn't V'ing

Garrett booster

what was it?