Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intake Painting Suggestions

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Intake Painting Suggestions

My oem paint on my intake wasn't in too bad of a condition... but not that great, either. After a couple of runs through our washers (sonic washer) the factory wrinkle coat is starting to come up in some spots.

Now, I planned to do the "spray can" wrinkle coat to the VCs... but opted NOT to do the intake because it curls around so far and I see it being difficult to put in the oven when it's wet for it's proper wrinkle "cure" proccess, as it would make contact with the wet surfaces. (unless I made some sort of fixture....)

How did you guys do it? I don't want to spray it with a normal gloss paint... rather have the wrinkle coat look on the cheap, vs. having it powder coated.
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

Re: Intake Painting Suggestions

Just get some of the thin rebar, about 3ft, bend it to a U shape, then bend the ends of the U vertical to stick in the #1 and #4 ends of the intake...

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Why do you care what the back side looks like, you can't see it?

Seriously, VHT wrinkle paint, then place it in the BBQ or oven face up like your looking at it and bake away.

1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Is that what you just did? Lay it on the oven's grill when it was wet?

I'll have to grab some of that paint and do my intake. What's the PN? I can get it through work, but want to get the correct red.

So, you paint the intake.... and then while it' still wet, place it into the oven on bake for how long? (and then what temp?)

I figured I'd paint it w/out any blemishes, as I thought you'd still be able to see the spots where the wet paint laid against the grill.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    Is that what you just did? Lay it on the oven's grill when it was wet?

I'll have to grab some of that paint and do my intake. What's the PN? I can get it through work, but want to get the correct red.

So, you paint the intake.... and then while it' still wet, place it into the oven on bake for how long? (and then what temp?)

I figured I'd paint it w/out any blemishes, as I thought you'd still be able to see the spots where the wet paint laid against the grill.
    If your using the VHT stuff, its not quite the same colour, its a bit duller.

I seem to remember 3 coats at different angles to give you the wrinkle finish, you let it dry for x amount of hours, then bake.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    If your using the VHT stuff, its not quite the same colour, its a bit duller.

I seem to remember 3 coats at different angles to give you the wrinkle finish, you let it dry for x amount of hours, then bake.
    But you are using the VHT paint, correct? I thought that;s what everyone used....

So, you let it dry before baking it? I be confused. I always thought you just pint it, and the baking procedure is what makes it wrinkle up.

I never used this stuff before.... I had my 8v VC done professionally via powdercoating and it looks like factory.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

What's wrong with just getting it powder coated?
    It's not expensive at all.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

But you are using the VHT paint, correct? I thought that;s what everyone used....

So, you let it dry before baking it? I be confused. I always thought you just pint it, and the baking procedure is what makes it wrinkle up.

I never used this stuff before.... I had my 8v VC done professionally via powdercoating and it looks like factory.
    the paint will still wrinkle, but the baking is what really sets it off.

just paint and toss in the bbq like simon said. i wouldnt be worried about some grill marks on the backside.

and ya ill be using VHT next time around since crappy tire started carrying it. they have really great paint, altho u do pay for it

turbo addict

Juggy you didn't like the powdercoating?

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Juggy you didn't like the powdercoating?
    oh no its great man, still holding up fine. even in the spot where i Had to redrill and move that CAT sensor...remember i said it was gettin smashed up on the firewall being so tight lol (and u suggested putting it where the PCV hole woulda been...oh well!)

yeah by all means, if you can afford the powdercoating go for it!! it will last longer and is way more durable as opposed to the paint.

i was just more or less commenting on the VHT

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I say have it sandblasted and powdercoated. It will last alot longer than paint, if not forever, be much more durable, and have a much finer wrinkle like the original stuff. Its also alot more chemical resistant.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    I say have it sandblasted and powdercoated. It will last alot longer than paint, if not forever, be much more durable, and have a much finer wrinkle like the original stuff. Its also alot more chemical resistant.

I always HATED the look of the VHT stuff, (still do) and had my OTHER VCs powder coated in the past. But, this time around... I am Brokeback Mountain.... without the ghey. This engine is being built on a budget that would do the GRM guys proud. Well, technically... I went well over $2010... but almost all monies came from the selling of TM parts. So, a can of $7 paint is worth it vs. $60 for the intake and $40 for the VCs.... at least. She won't be no show car... at least for a few years.

So yeah... would love the powdercoating... I just need to pinch every penny.

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

I always HATED the look of the VHT stuff, (still do) and had my OTHER VCs powder coated in the past. But, this time around... I am Brokeback Mountain.... without the ghey. This engine is being built on a budget that would do the GRM guys proud. Well, technically... I went well over $2010... but almost all monies came from the selling of TM parts. So, a can of $7 paint is worth it vs. $60 for the intake and $40 for the VCs.... at least. She won't be no show car... at least for a few years.

So yeah... would love the powdercoating... I just need to pinch every penny.
    Understood!
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I've powder coated tiii intakes and I bake all my parts in a regular house oven. I have hanger wire that I run through the long bolt holes and hang it from the bottom of the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by 92spiritrt View Post
    I've powder coated tiii intakes and I bake all my parts in a regular house oven. I have hanger wire that I run through the long bolt holes and hang it from the bottom of the rack.
    I figured out a great way to do this: Now our shop has a machine shop, but is very frugal in that area, especially on materials. So, building a quickie fixture isn't going to happen. This is what I am doing as I kill 2 birds with one stone: I found a good use for those crappy flowing, inbred sohc 8v heads I have laying around since I'm now part of the prententious, snobby, better than you guys 16v crowd

I found that only 2 intake bolt holes line up with the existing 8v manifold holes. So.... I'll be bolting it to the 8v head, flipping upsidedown and able to paint, and slide onto the rack in the oven afterwards.

See.... 8v heads ain't that bad afterall! Every T-III owner should have one

{no... I really do like and appreciate all the turbo mopars}

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

Put a pan in the bottom of the oven to collect all the valve guides that fall out. (And/or seats if it's the other way up)

Hybrid booster

I just did this on my r/t with vht, I used the black and then color over it. Stripped it all with aircraft stripper, but the 3 coat method and the oven directions on the back of thw can didn't wrinkle hard or even, so I stripped it all again and talked to a old timer. Either set it out in the hot sun or heat it up with a hair dryer then spray 1 fat coat, right before the point of it sagging and you can watch it wrinkle hard in the sun or use the heat gun starting on 1 end and walk it down as it wrinkles, I got fat tight even wrinkles easily. When you add another color and clear over it, the wrinkles get less dramatic as you see in my pics but it still looks really good. I got the cans for $5.99 at o'reillys and used 1 can on 2 vc's and the intake.

turbo addict

I have had very good luck using the duplicolor brand from oreillys. 2 relatively light coats to make sure you have even coverage for the color. Then 2-3 heavy coats 5-10 minutes apart spraying at different angles, just don't let it run. Get it warm ~150* ASAP after painting has worked well for me. When I've done it in the sunlight on a hot summer day the paint would even start to wrinkle between coats.

Doing valve covers I had amazing results laying them on the stove(electric) on the medium setting for 30 minutes. Only did it once since the paint made my apartment reek to high heaven. A grill would have been even better.

I would try it out on something first so you know how much paint you can lay down without running. It sucks when you have to strip it down and redo it.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

I *thought* I posted my results last week..... but guess not!

I did my VCs 1st in case it didn't come out right. And it didn't... so an hour later in the sonic washer and fighting to get the remaining paint off in the glass bead cabinet took some time.

What I did WRONG the 1st time around: 3 heavy coats just like the directions say, with 5 minutes in between. One lengthwise, next one vertical, and the last one diagonal. What I got was uneven wrinkles because the heavy coats were thickest in all areas where there was an inside corner, and least on a flat surface, or outer bend. Heavy paint = fatter wrinkles, lighter = tighter and better looking wrinkles. I didn't realize that the paint comes out of that can SO frikkin' aggressively to begin with. Plus, I had a slight run, which I *thought* would be disguised with the wrinkles, but it made it's own wrinkle pattern that looked worse than if I had a run with a normal enamel.

2nd try worked perfectly. Use the 3 coats with 5 minute intervals method, along with one at horizontal, one at vertical, and then the other at diagonal. But, not so heavy. Don't put it on so light that it has the orange peel/flat no-gloss look to it, but certainly do not just lay it on hard, either. Then, I rushed it into the oven for 45 minutes and it started wrinkling up in just 5 minutes. Came out perfectly.

Tonight, I will do my spare set of VCs along with the intake. Still doesn't beat a powdercoated finish.... but much better/harder of a finish that you'll find from any other aerosol can. ($5 vs $100+ is why I went this route)

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

pics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast