Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ostrich!!

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

ostrich!!

ok, my buddy offered me a wicked deal on some stuff from moates. since i been having a biiiitch of a time tryin to program with what I got he offered me a solution...

http://www.moates.net/apu1-autoprom-....html?cPath=94

http://www.moates.net/g1-memory-adap....html?cPath=64

http://www.moates.net/ostrich-20-the....html?cPath=64

the ostrich he has for me is actually the 1.0 original one, but he said the apu autoprom supercedes it

is this everything i need (and more) to get myself up a running with ostrich??? anything else I may need???

turbo addict

Re: ostrich!!

all you need it the ostrich with 28 pin cable and a socketed board (LM OR SMEC)
    Laptop and mptuner down loaded and thats it

Then you can buy a moates burn2 if you want to burn a chip later but not needed .

I dont know much about the Apu1

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    all you need it the ostrich with 28 pin cable and a socketed board (LM OR SMEC)
    Laptop and mptuner down loaded and thats it

Then you can buy a moates burn2 if you want to burn a chip later but not needed .

I dont know much about the Apu1
    ok great. looks like ill just take the whole package then for that price? i could prolly part with the APU tuner to recoup some cash

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    ok great. looks like ill just take the whole package then for that price? i could prolly part with the APU tuner to recoup some cash
    I think you only need one or the other from reading on moates site briefly. I believe the apu will handle all the tasks the ostrich will plus give you the ability to burn chips.

Quote Originally Posted by risen View Post
    I think you only need one or the other from reading on moates site briefly. I believe the apu will handle all the tasks the ostrich will plus give you the ability to burn chips.
    well if this is true, i suppose i *may* have an ostrich for sale sometime soon

i wasnt quite sure if i needed to plug the ostrich in with the APU...guess we will find out...

Hybrid booster

make sure you research and think about what you're getting, it would have to be priced "absolutely stupid to pass on" to get me to grab that stuff...that is all their early gear.

the APU-1 came out before the ostrich. no good with the 257 chips, so if you're thinking of anything other than early gen programming, you'll have to consider a chip converter to use 512's on SBEC's.

the ostrich 1.0 has a much lower baud rate, no big deal unless you are constantly tuning on the fly, but something to consider. also, the switches for pin set-up are internal and the case needs to be opened to set the jumpers (the 2.0 has them on the side).

if you are going to try and sell any of it off, you'll probably find there isn't as much demand for the older gear. there isn't a big market on ebay for this stuff, not that I recommend ebay. watched there for quite some timing before going for a new 2.0, which I always recommend (just about my favorite tuning mod).

Hybrid booster

and before I forget, from what I read the APU won't log on our cars, at least not easily....that package is basically specific for GM. you only have a couple channels of logging anyways, you can pick up one of Innovate's 5 channel boxes cheaper (don't know what you are running, WB or anything).

the ostrich is the only thing you'd need. the one thing you'll find is moates is weak on the how-to's. you'll find enough info to get by here in the KC, but if you aren't comfortable yet with burners and chips, it will be a lot easier with someone coaching you thru it the first time.

i am only worried about programming for SMEC........and possibly LM..........

and i can get everything for $250.........brand new.

so the APU1 is going to be useless for me? i was hoping to use it to datalog with for at least AFR and EGT.

he said theres a cable that will connect the APU to the ODB connector and the car can log through there. is it going to be possible for me to say, rewire the connector for chryco odb or am i dreaming here?

Hybrid booster

well, you'd get something for the APU if you sold it, and defray the cost of the ostrich some. you occasionally see old ostrich 1.0's going around $100 when the pop up on ebay (with a $100 opening bid, LOL). who wants the hassle, expecially being an APU won't likely sell here. that's more of a camaro/firebird setup.

our cars can't easily communicate with OBD based technology, so as far as using it for datalogging, it will be more headache than it is worth (short & sweet).

offer him $75 for the ostrich, see if he'll take it. you could otherwise pick up a new Burn2 with a couple 512's for about $100. logging narrow-band is of limited value (watch this start an argument), I would say your money would be better spent to grab an LC-1 (used on ebay for $100-125), and after you're comfortable with the ostrich, then start approaching datalogging more than AFR. if you couldn't swing recommended logging methods used here, an SSI-4 is $125. all a matter of how much you want to/are capable of doing.

awesome, thanks for the reply!
    ill see if i can just grab the ostrich but he would rather sell complete as a package. altho 75 bucks is better then nothing. then he can deal with recouping the rest of the $$$$ and sell the APU himself

if not i guess ill just fork out the funds and go 2.0

i have an aem eugo wideband but i want to swap to innovate lc-1 now

27SF512

can these chips be used in our cars? because then I could at least use the APU as a burner??
    id think its like the moates burn2 where it can at least read the older chips even tho it only writes the 3 listed ones.

Hybrid booster

awesome, thanks for the reply!
    ill see if i can just grab the ostrich but he would rather sell complete as a package. altho 75 bucks is better then nothing. then he can deal with recouping the rest of the $$$$ and sell the APU himself

if not i guess ill just fork out the funds and go 2.0

i have an aem eugo wideband but i want to swap to innovate lc-1 now
    you're welcome...
    nothing wrong with the AEM from what I hear, but since we're integrated with LogWorks now, it is the easy way out. I figure $75 is no insult to your friend, any more than that and you are better off with a Burn2 or new 2.0. best bang for the buck right along with a 3" turbo-back exhaust. your car will never be the same.

27SF512

can these chips be used in our cars? because then I could at least use the APU as a burner??
    id think its like the moates burn2 where it can at least read the older chips even tho it only writes the 3 listed ones.

that's what I was referring to when I was saying 512's. if you have the ostrich, you only truly need a burner if you are going to use the ostrich in multiple cars. the ostrich saves you the troulble of having to physically pull the chips.

do yourself a favor and dedicate a couple hours to the KC (calibrations/ostrich) and the EFI tuning sub-forum, get real familiar before you spend a single dollar. don't just take my word for it, see what others have done, and figure out what you want to do. the ostrich is good for test & tune, constant changes, etc. burners are for those not constantly changing set-up. the thing with the 1.0 is I don't think you can use the trace window in MPTuner with it...poor man's data "monitor" (one table at a time, NOT traditional datalogging). this helped me a lot with cold enrichment, and AIS settings, but can be used with any table. something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    you're welcome...
    nothing wrong with the AEM from what I hear, but since we're integrated with LogWorks now, it is the easy way out. I figure $75 is no insult to your friend, any more than that and you are better off with a Burn2 or new 2.0. best bang for the buck right along with a 3" turbo-back exhaust. your car will never be the same.

that's what I was referring to when I was saying 512's. if you have the ostrich, you only truly need a burner if you are going to use the ostrich in multiple cars. the ostrich saves you the troulble of having to physically pull the chips.

do yourself a favor and dedicate a couple hours to the KC (calibrations/ostrich) and the EFI tuning sub-forum, get real familiar before you spend a single dollar. don't just take my word for it, see what others have done, and figure out what you want to do. the ostrich is good for test & tune, constant changes, etc. burners are for those not constantly changing set-up. the thing with the 1.0 is I don't think you can use the trace window in MPTuner with it...poor man's data "monitor" (one table at a time, NOT traditional datalogging). this helped me a lot with cold enrichment, and AIS settings, but can be used with any table. something to think about.
    the 2.0 is starting to sound better after each of your posts lol
    my car is pretty much a calibration away from running some very impressive times was hoping to get kicked off the track for running too fast, but havent had a chance to get it out n work out bugs

ok. apparently the APU1 unit is the ostrich. he said it can do everything the ostrich can and more because it can datalogue. so im guessing trying to get this thing to work on chryco ODB is going to be the trick part???

sounds like i may be just better off getting the 2.0?? i should call moates and ask them what they think

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

The old Ostrich works fine, I bought a used one and used it for a year until it stopped working??? It wouldn't let me load up a cal, called Moates, they said send it in, they SENT me a brand new 2.0 for FREE!!!!!!!! Now that is customer service,

The APU might work instead of the Ostrich, I'd call them on that.

Anyhow, go here and read, and if you need help with it or tuning, you can call me, seriously. Sometimes its easier to be told than read, Aries_turbo helped me on the phone, made more sense.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...y&categoryid=6
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

ok. apparently the APU1 unit is the ostrich. he said it can do everything the ostrich can and more because it can datalogue. so im guessing trying to get this thing to work on chryco ODB is going to be the trick part???

sounds like i may be just better off getting the 2.0?? i should call moates and ask them what they think
    very confusing statement. he has an APU and no ostrich? the APU was out before the ostrich, as I remember it. the ostrich will only emulate. they are not the same item.

they aren't remotely familiar with our ECU's at moates, and will only be able to tell you that the APU is recommended for GM only (OBD-1). make it easy on yourself - look at the connector to the left of the ribbon cable in the image (that's the one to log from). to get it to work on our cars - you would need to create a harness from the DRB terminal to the APU terminal. then you have the ODB code issue (have fun). all that for 3 channels of logging. WAY more hassle than it is worth. it would be easier to use an SSI-4, or one of our more "conventional" TM logging methods.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    The old Ostrich works fine, I bought a used one and used it for a year until it stopped working??? It wouldn't let me load up a cal, called Moates, they said send it in, they SENT me a brand new 2.0 for FREE!!!!!!!! Now that is customer service,
    craig is very cool, he realizes it isn't worth the ultimate consequences to hassle with his buyers on the details (or compatibility "recommendations", Kevin will love that one). plus I bet his profit margin on the Ostrich is relatively large. no slam on the 1.0, but there are small differences. if the seller only has an APU, it doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by x.Gen View Post
    very confusing statement. he has an APU and no ostrich? the APU was out before the ostrich, as I remember it. the ostrich will only emulate. they are not the same item.

they aren't remotely familiar with our ECU's at moates, and will only be able to tell you that the APU is recommended for GM only (OBD-1). make it easy on yourself - look at the connector to the left of the ribbon cable in the image (that's the one to log from). to get it to work on our cars - you would need to create a harness from the DRB terminal to the APU terminal. then you have the ODB code issue (have fun). all that for 3 channels of logging. WAY more hassle than it is worth. it would be easier to use an SSI-4, or one of our more "conventional" TM logging methods.

craig is very cool, he realizes it isn't worth the ultimate consequences to hassle with his buyers on the details (or compatibility "recommendations", Kevin will love that one). plus I bet his profit margin on the Ostrich is relatively large. no slam on the 1.0, but there are small differences. if the seller only has an APU, it doesn't matter.

yep no ostrich. he was trying to tell me that the APU is the ostrich, because it is newer.....however you are saying the APU is acutally older then ostrich??

ok well it looks like this is going to be more of a hassle then anything, plus the ostrich 2.0 is actually cheaper then the unit he is selling. i thought he had an ostrich along with the APU, thats why i was going to buy things...recoup $$ and get a cheaper ostrich but no one seems to be interested in the APU locally...so looks like i will just order myself a 2.0 instead

anything else I may need to order with it? was gonna get some SF512 chips it says they have them in stock....and prolly a ZIF socket because i hate pulling chips out and bending pins

do i need chip extender or socket booster or anything like that while im at it?????

turbo addict

yep no ostrich. he was trying to tell me that the APU is the ostrich, because it is newer.....however you are saying the APU is acutally older then ostrich??

ok well it looks like this is going to be more of a hassle then anything, plus the ostrich 2.0 is actually cheaper then the unit he is selling. i thought he had an ostrich along with the APU, thats why i was going to buy things...recoup $$ and get a cheaper ostrich but no one seems to be interested in the APU locally...so looks like i will just order myself a 2.0 instead

anything else I may need to order with it? was gonna get some SF512 chips it says they have them in stock....and prolly a ZIF socket because i hate pulling chips out and bending pins

do i need chip extender or socket booster or anything like that while im at it?????
    No booster needed and the 0strich comes with all the calbes you will need!

Hybrid booster

nice. good friend. APU was out first, I think.

don't use a ZIF for the ostrich, if you are mounting permanently. use a machine-pin socket (order one in addition to the ostrich package). it comes with one, but the recommendation is to use that on the header of the ribbon cable, and insert that into the socket. this was told to me by Chris, the owner of Xenocron (distributor for moates). he said the pins on the ribbon cable header are on the weak side and get mangled, and also the machine-pin socket will give you better contact than a ZIF. DIP sockets are cheaper than ribbon cables anyhow.

you won't need the 512's unless you're planning on burning your own. ostrich emulates only. some people use the chip extender with SMEC's and chips, so you don't have to keep popping the case open, but then you should enclose the extender in something.

all overkill, but will save you the learning experience.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Did you check out the link I posted,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast