Thread: Problems with ARP Head Studs

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Problems with ARP Head Studs

Before I bought my head studs for the 2.5 common block I check ARP's catalog to make sure I'm buying the correct ones. I've saw in the past all our vendors selling their head studs and I've even used 4 sets in the past with no issues. But I didnt go through our vendors, I went through where I work (which, of course for job security reasoning I cannot mention their name over the internet). They say 2.2 non-turbo only. Now how does that make any sense to sell BOLTS for turbo models, and studs for NA models? What are we building, a 13:1 TBI engine?! After some digging, someone responds back to me and says, "It may work for what you're doing but there is no guarantee, they've had too many 'problems' with the studs not working for these engines." Too which I say to myself, "A Chrysler 2.2/2.5 block with 11mm threads are all the same!!! Regardless of what production cylinder head you use, block you use (11mm), or what, they are all the same."

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else had issues?

Thanks

turbo addict

Re: Problems with ARP Head Studs

I'm pretty sure they have two studs available. The studs most everybody carries are undercut ... the shank is narrower. The other set isn't. 1414201 is the P/N

Hybrid booster

From my experience, as far as bolts go, they are all the same.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

We've covered this a thousand times Dave,

They are for ALL 2.2/2.5's with 11mm threads, just watch some of the earlier head bolts were too long and you had to use 2 washers.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

aren't you just ordering for a part #? I don't have the box in front of me to give you the one I always use.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    We've covered this a thousand times Dave,

They are for ALL 2.2/2.5's with 11mm threads, just watch some of the earlier head bolts were too long and you had to use 2 washers.
    He's talking about STUDS. Look at the topic.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    He's talking about STUDS. Look at the topic.
    Yes, and I simply said the only isses we are ARE with bolts, the STUDS fit all years with 11m threads. READ!
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Yes, and I simply said the only isses we are ARE with bolts, the STUDS fit all years with 11m threads. READ!
    Eaaaasy killer. I knew about the bolts...apparently they don't though.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    I'm pretty sure they have two studs available. The studs most everybody carries are undercut ... the shank is narrower. The other set isn't. 1414201 is the P/N
    great post. id def look into this!

Given my position, I probably should know what "undercut" means, but I dont.

turbo addict

Undercut refers to the shank between the threaded ends Dave. An undercut bolt/stud will be narrower in that area. This lets the fastener flex .. like a TTY bolt. In the studs case, the flex isn't as great but still there. Helps gasket life more I think.

Quote Originally Posted by puppet View Post
    Undercut refers to the shank between the threaded ends Dave. An undercut bolt/stud will be narrower in that area. This lets the fastener flex .. like a TTY bolt. In the studs case, the flex isn't as great but still there. Helps gasket life more I think.
    Ohhh ok. Did not know that. Thanks.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Before I bought my head studs for the 2.5 common block I check ARP's catalog to make sure I'm buying the correct ones. I've saw in the past all our vendors selling their head studs and I've even used 4 sets in the past with no issues. But I didnt go through our vendors, I went through where I work (which, of course for job security reasoning I cannot mention their name over the internet). They say 2.2 non-turbo only. Now how does that make any sense to sell BOLTS for turbo models, and studs for NA models? What are we building, a 13:1 TBI engine?! After some digging, someone responds back to me and says, "It may work for what you're doing but there is no guarantee, they've had too many 'problems' with the studs not working for these engines." Too which I say to myself, "A Chrysler 2.2/2.5 block with 11mm threads are all the same!!! Regardless of what production cylinder head you use, block you use (11mm), or what, they are all the same."

Am I missing something here? Has anyone else had issues?

Thanks
    There is only one part number. I don't know why ARP decided to do this. They are fine to use.

Yup, I can't convince them otherwise. Oh well, they can go on thinking the heads are different for turbo and non-turbo.

turbo addict

I have found unless you talk to Kammy at ARP, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. Like Phil says they have a undercut shank and one that is not. Also have the option for 6 or 12 point bolt.
    Just because they don't have a listing in their catalog, doesn't mean they don't have what you need. Three quick examples are head studs for a 16V Masi & Lotus applications, & correct common block main studs. They have them all but don't list them in their catalog. So then people inadvertently order the early block application for the main studs and just make it work by letting the studs float on #2,3,4 instead of getting the proper length studs to begin with. Not the right way to do it, but some people run em that way with no ill effects.
    Their catalog description is terrible, I've tried many, many times to inform them about these motors and their part descriptions and something always gets lost in the translation, or it goes directly into the round file after I hang up. I have given up trying to get them to correct their errors in their catalog.
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by 4 l-bodies View Post
    I have found unless you talk to Kammy at ARP, you might as well be talking to a brick wall. Like Phil says they have a undercut shank and one that is not. Also have the option for 6 or 12 point bolt.
    Just because they don't have a listing in their catalog, doesn't mean they don't have what you need. Three quick examples are head studs for a 16V Masi & Lotus applications, & correct common block main studs. They have them all but don't list them in their catalog. So then people inadvertently order the early block application for the main studs and just make it work by letting the studs float on #2,3,4 instead of getting the proper length studs to begin with. Not the right way to do it, but some people run em that way with no ill effects.
    Their catalog description is terrible, I've tried many, many times to inform them about these motors and their part descriptions and something always gets lost in the translation, or it goes directly into the round file after I hang up. I have given up trying to get them to correct their errors in their catalog.
    Todd
    You've done more than I would have been willing to do. Do you work for a company that deals with them?

Good stuff.