Thread: rpms shoot up when using throttle

Garrett booster

rpms shoot up after startup

87 caravelle tbi. coolant sensor code went off the other week and now it idles at about 2000 rpms and when I blip the throttle it'll almost redline before slowly going back down, sometimes I gotta shut it off before it'll even go down.
    I replaced the coolant temp sensor which helped.... sometimes. other codes I get are throttle position sensor not working, throttle temp sensor and speed sensor relay shorted or somethin. I've had these past 3 codes since I've had it and its never gave me a fuss like now.
    I've also noticed when I give it gas real quick the rpms shoot way up even with the tb blades closed but it sounds like air is being sucked in anyways. I tried to find an air leak but couldn't find any. if I give it gas smoothly without blipping it it'll go all the way to redline without and issue.

any ideas where to look? I'm posing with my phone, hope this all makes some sense! thanks
    Last edited by Boltthrower; 09-01-2010 at 06:11 PM.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: rpms shoot up when using throttle

I would check the vacuum lines very thoroughly for a leak. I would look into the TPS issue also.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Disconnect the hose going to the throttle body while it is running and cover up the throttle body, stick a rag in there. If it keeps running you have a vac leak somewhere.
    [B]Scott[/B] 86 GLHS #408 88 Shadow ES 92 Spirit R/T 04 SRT-4

Garrett booster

update. changed all the vac hoses, pvc and took off throttle body, cleaned it and reinstalled with new gasket and having the same symptoms. also checked, cleaned and retaped the harness round the tb area.
    with the engine cold I started it up and it was running rough, black smoke, missin but when it reved it up it didn't shoot up in rpm's. figuring it was just flooded I let it idle for a few minutes. shut it off and found I forgot to hook the map sensor vac hose up. hooked it up and after a minute or two trying to get it started it finally fired up only to start reving up to redline. oh I unhooked the battery before all this and I'm showing no codes now after runnin for a few minutes. that's all I could do before heading to work. any more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Disconnect the hose going to the throttle body while it is running and cover up the throttle body, stick a rag in there. If it keeps running you have a vac leak somewhere.
    Did you do this?

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    Did you do this?
    yes i did and it wouldnt stall. wasnt sure which vac you were talking about so i tried every one that goes off the tb.

This is TBI, not turbo, so you'd take the air cleaner off, not a hose off, my bad. Let it run and cover up the throttle body (i.e. cut off air to it) and see if it keeps running. If it does, it is getting air from somewhere else, like a manifold gasket leak.

Garrett booster

welp, went to the jy to snag some LM's and map sensors and some sensors off throttle bodies. got home and first tried swapping the map sensor. fired right up and purr'd like a kitten. drove it around a bit and no more codes. yes! runs better than when I first got the car.
    I figured the map sensor might be on the fritz since the car didn't race with the map dissconnected after redoing the vac lines. wierd how it didn't let out a code for the map and gave out a bunch of random other codes.