Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super 60

Re: Super 60

Man what a roller coaster ride that was! May I ask a question?
    I also wanted to buy a S60 turbo from turbonetics back in 1995 or 1996 and did. I remember calling them and talking to them about my application. They suggested at the time to do the a S60 compressor and sticking with the stock 48 housing so there would be little lag. I bought it and yes there is no GARRET on the housing. A few years later I bought a 63 housing and installed it. Question is ,,is it now a correct super 60?
    Just interested because of this thread. As a matter of fact I am still running the very same turbo as it came from turbonetics [except the 63 housing ] today!!

Yeah if you slapped a .63 housing on there you now have a true super 60.

No garrett on the housing, isn't that interesting So JT, you still think you got a real super 60? You got a turbo plus unit, 60 trim in the stock T2 housing which is why is says garrett on it. So you either got screwed over, or you bought the turbo plus unit and don't remember.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    Yeah if you slapped a .63 housing on there you now have a true super 60.

No garrett on the housing, isn't that interesting So JT, you still think you got a real super 60? You got a turbo plus unit, 60 trim in the stock T2 housing which is why is says garrett on it. So you either got screwed over, or you bought the turbo plus unit and don't remember.
    Seriously, I was ignoring this thread until I heard my name again.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand that a Garrett housing could be machined out to fit a Super 60 comp wheel?

Also, did you ever find any proof that the "true" Super 60 was supposed to have a ported outlet? Maybe you got lucky when you got yours our you bought the FM Enforcer I turbo and don't remember.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Why is it so difficult for you to understand that a Garrett housing could be machined out to fit a Super 60 comp wheel?
    Really? You think thats what this was about? Of course you can machine out a stock housing for the S60 wheel, it happens everyday. Do you think thats what turbonetics did to make the S60? It's how they make the turbo plus unit which is why it still says garrett on it. Super 60's got a new casted housing from turbonetics.

My point has been the same through the entire thread, an original super 60 from turbonetics will NOT say Garrett on it so I KNEW it wasn't a true super 60 right away. Therefore, it was questionable if it had a .63 housing or not.

Really? You think thats what this was about? Of course you can machine out a stock housing for the S60 wheel, it happens everyday. Do you think thats what turbonetics did to make the S60? It's how they make the turbo plus unit which is why it still says garrett on it. Super 60's got a new casted housing from turbonetics.

My point has been the same through the entire thread, an original super 60 from turbonetics will NOT say Garrett on it so I KNEW it wasn't a true super 60 right away. Therefore, it was questionable if it had a .63 housing or not.
    OK, you say that it can be machined and then you say that they got their own housing.

So you are saying if it has a Super 60 comp wheel in a Garrett housing it is not a Super 60 turbo? Even if it has the .63 A/R turbine side... wow

So what is magical about these Supter 60 comp housings? Still waiting for proof that a Super 60 comp hosuing was supposed to be a knife edge ported outlet like the old FM Enforcer turbo pictured above? or was it just the lack of the word "Garrett" on the S60 housing that added the extra performance?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff dodgeshadowchik's Avatar

wait a second.. this is turbo mopar right? for a second I forgot and thought this was dsmtuners.com

Obvisouly the guy who bought the thing is ok with it.. so what's the big deal.

The arguments are doing nothing but going in circles.

"I'll give you anything you'll ever need and I'll find a way to turn you into a monster."

OK, you say that it can be machined and then you say that they got their own housing.
    You cannot read at all.

Super 60's got a new casted housing from turbonetics
    When the super 60 is from turbonetics, they use their own casting. Super 60 wheel's are being put into stock garrett housings everyday from vendor's like TU.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

the S60 housing from turbonetics flows 10% better then a stock garrett housing
    its .60 not .42, and def looks like i sure as hell flows more

also the SUPER wheels are exclusive to turbonetics...but who is to say they cant use their wheels and slap em in a garrett one???

i think what matt is trying to say a TRUE SUPER 60 TURBO is .60/.63 and has a turbonetics comp cover.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgeshadowchik View Post
    wait a second.. this is turbo mopar right? for a second I forgot and thought this was dsmtuners.com

Obvisouly the guy who bought the thing is ok with it.. so what's the big deal.

The arguments are doing nothing but going in circles.
    Exactly...

You cannot read at all.

When the super 60 is from turbonetics, they use their own casting. Super 60 wheel's are being put into stock garrett housings everyday from vendor's like TU.
    I can read well thanks. I dont think you can however

OK, here's what you dont understand ... not 100% or every single Super 60 turbo from Turbonetics came with a Super 60 housing. Beleive it or not they too machine housings! Sometimes they do thsi when they run out of cetain housings or in my case, when the customer makes an economic decision.

When I got mine FROM TURBONETICS I had the choice to buy a full Turbonetics Super 60 turbo, but, having the T03 Garret off my T-II Shelby Z I decided to send it to them to have it machined to fit the Super 60 wheel for a crapload less money. Being a poor college student at the time and advised by the experienced Turbonetics sales staff that I really wouldn't know a difference, I made the economic choice. Little did I know that 14 years down the road it would provide for some trivial intenet BS

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    the S60 housing from turbonetics flows 10% better then a stock garrett housing
    its .60 not .42, and def looks like i sure as hell flows more

also the SUPER wheels are exclusive to turbonetics...but who is to say they cant use their wheels and slap em in a garrett one???

i think what matt is trying to say a TRUE SUPER 60 TURBO is .60/.63 and has a turbonetics comp cover.
    Thanks Juggy, THIS is the kind of data needed to explain the difference between the two housings.

Thats what I was asking of Matt, "whats the difference" but it seems all he wanted to say that the Super 60 turbo I got from Turbonetics is a Turbo Plus unit and can no way possibly have a Super 60 wheel in it.

BTW, I'm sure there are folks out there that could port a stocker to get it to flow just as good or better that the Super 60 housing tho

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

OK, here's what you dont understand ... not 100% or every single Super 60 turbo from Turbonetics came with a Super 60 housing. Beleive it or not they too machine housings! Sometimes they do thsi when they run out of cetain housings or in my case, when the customer makes an economic decision.

When I got mine FROM TURBONETICS I had the choice to buy a full Turbonetics Super 60 turbo, but, having the T03 Garret off my T-II Shelby Z I decided to send it to them to have it machined to fit the Super 60 wheel for a crapload less money. Being a poor college student at the time and advised by the experienced Turbonetics sales staff that I really wouldn't know a difference, I made the economic choice. Little did I know that 14 years down the road it would provide for some trivial intenet BS

What the hell, you said you bought a super 60 from turbonetics....thats not a correct statement. You had turbonetics put an S60 wheel inside your stock housing, and you argue with me that the super 60 you bought from turbonetics says garrett on it. OMFG

And now, not that I'm arguing with juggy's findings as they agree with what I've said all along, you find no problem just accepting information that he says without any real proof or backup. If I had written the same exact post, you'd be arguing with me demanding proof of those findings simply because you have a personal grudge. You are so pathetic.

What the hell, you said you bought a super 60 from turbonetics....thats not a correct statement. You had turbonetics put an S60 wheel inside your stock housing, and you argue with me that the super 60 you bought from turbonetics says garrett on it. OMFG

And now, not that I'm arguing with juggy's findings as they agree with what I've said all along, you find no problem just accepting information that he says without any real proof or backup. If I had written the same exact post, you'd be arguing with me demanding proof of those findings simply because you have a personal grudge. You are so pathetic.
    If you said that the difference in comp housings was A/R ratios I would have beleived that but your comment that the S60 comp housing was 'ported' is BS.

Regardless, do you still believe that a Super 60 wheel is not a Super 60 if it is not in a Turbonetics Super 60 comp housing?

EDIT: No personal grudge at all, I tend to ask for proof of BS comments from anyone.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

If you said that the difference in comp housings was A/R ratios I would have beleived that but your comment that the S60 comp housing was 'ported' is BS.

Regardless, do you still believe that a Super 60 wheel is not a Super 60 if it is not in a Turbonetics Super 60 comp housing?

EDIT: No personal grudge at all, I tend to ask for proof of BS comments from anyone.
    I can back this up. I have had to photoshop plenty of things to pass JT's tests!!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

Uhh, where did you get that from? I never said that. I said many times that it's not a TRUE super 60 turbo if it doesn't have the correct housing. That one word TRUE makes it a entirely different statement. Proving once again you can't read. Just like an E2 is a 46 trim, it's not a true 46 trim turbo because the wheel is not in the correct housing.

BTW, when you port a housing it increases the A/R. It was just their own casting so they didn't need to port it because they just casted with less metal inside to increase the A/R. Outside dimensions of the housing are all the same and it looks identical to a T2 housing....except it doesn't say garrett on it.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Reading this thread reminded me of something Lewis Black once said.

"Luckily, I had a spoon in my hand. So I shoved it up my ---. To distract myself from the pain. Because if I am going to hurt that much, I'm gonna do it to myself."
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    Reading this thread reminded me of something Lewis Black once said.

"Luckily, I had a spoon in my hand. So I shoved it up my ---. To distract myself from the pain. Because if I am going to hurt that much, I'm gonna do it to myself."
    i just really hope it wasnt an old wooden spoon............

Uhh, where did you get that from? I never said that. I said many times that it's not a TRUE super 60 turbo if it doesn't have the correct housing. That one word TRUE makes it a entirely different statement. Proving once again you can't read.
    OK, maybe, just maybe the problem is not my reading ability but my trying to comprehend your writing? Lets break down the post that started this all:

No it's not a true super 60,
    OK, yes you did use the word "true", but to defend the seller, he did not advertise it as "true" ... but lets continue as you go on beyond this:

but it's definitely atleast a 60 trim compressor wheel just by looking at the size of the inducer.
    This statement infers that is is not a Super 60 wheel at all.

Not sure about super 60 wheel.
    This confirms that you do not think it is a Super 60 wheel as advertized

Does it have a .63 exhaust housing?
    This is a good question

Looks like it was only upgraded on the compressor side. And who did the work/upgrade? TU?
    Good question, but how do you know what size the turbine housing is (enough to say it was not upgraded) from this picture? Again, good question, but...

So although your post uses the word "true" you pretty much say that it is not a Super 60 wheel in it.

THIS is the only reason why I posted in this damn thread because it sure looks like every other Super 60 wheel I have seen.

Dont get a big head and think I got a grudge against you or anything, I would have questioned ANYONE I saw post what you posted.

While its good that you are looking out for potential buyers, it also comes across as calling the seller a liar saying the turbo does not have the comp wheel in it that he claims.

Just like an E2 is a 46 trim, it's not a true 46 trim turbo because the wheel is not in the correct housing.
    First off, and E2 is called an E2 and there is luckily not an E2 wheel to cause this same confusion. Secondly An E2 could have a couple different comp wheels in it pending on when it was purchased and if it was an "a" or "b". Finally there is a HUGE difference between T03 and T04 housings, not just an A/R change in the same size housing... Totally different situation.

BTW, when you port a housing it increases the A/R.
    ONLY if it is ported precisely all around the entire scroll... usually it is only the outlet (like the E2 turbos) so the A/R steps up when the porting starts.

It was just their own casting so they didn't need to port it because they just casted with less metal inside to increase the A/R. Outside dimensions of the housing are all the same and it looks identical to a T2 housing....except it doesn't say garrett on it.
    I never argued the housings... just that you can have a Super 60 wheel in either....

OK I'm done with this. The Seller and Buyer both seem happy, so I am too

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Just like an E2 is a 46 trim, it's not a true 46 trim turbo because the wheel is not in the correct housing.

i dont understand what your sayin here
    the trim of a wheel does not change, regardless of a/r or housing size.

but i would agree obviously your rammin it into a stock mopar housing your not going to benefit as much as if it were in its proper or "true" housing so the wheel will not work to its "true" potential lol

This statement infers that is is not a Super 60 wheel at all.

This confirms that you do not think it is a Super 60 wheel as advertized
    What??? I was actually defending the seller at that point because the first person to reply said it just looked like a T2 turbo. I said no, it's ATLEAST a 60 trim, but I'm not sure if it's a super 60. It's very hard to tell the difference from looking between a 60 trim and super 60. It's very easy to tell between stock T2 and 60 trim, so I knew it was not stock T2. But somehow in your little world of english, the word ''atleast'' gets overlooked.

Many people that sell stuff make mistakes, and most of the time they don't realize it. If it had only been a 60 trim, hypothetically, he could have chimed and said ''oh yeah sorry thats right it it is just a 60 trim not a super 60, my mistake''. Or he could have said, ''no it's for sure a super 60 wheel'' or something like that whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    i dont understand what your sayin here
    the trim of a wheel does not change, regardless of a/r or housing size.

but i would agree obviously your rammin it into a stock mopar housing your not going to benefit as much as if it were in its proper or "true" housing so the wheel will not work to its "true" potential lol
    I never said that the trim changes....where are you guys getting this stuff?

Your second statement was my EXACT point to the T, but I still don't know how you think that I said the trim changes.

If I said to you, I have a 46 trim hybrid with a .63 stage 2 turbo, and didn't show you pics....you didn't ask you just bought it, and I send it to you with a stock T2 housing on there are you not gonna be pissed? This is the way I feel about this super 60.

A super 60 wheel in a stock housing will not benefit to it's true potential, because the wheel is not in it's native housing so it's not a TRUE super 60. The wheel is still a s60 trim no matter what housing, it just gets bottlenecked.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Everyone turn and look at the wall. Start talking. About the same effect as this thread.
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

I think progress was made, we learned some stuff in this thread. I knew the housing was larger, just didn't know exact specs until juggy chimed in.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast