Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Super 60

Garrett booster

Super 60

Have a super 60 turbo with approximately 15k on it. Retiring the car it was on for a new project. Minimal shaft play, no smoke, just have no use for it anymore. $400 o.b.o.

turbo addict

Re: Super 60

that looks like a stock garrett

No it's not a true super 60, but it's definitely atleast a 60 trim compressor wheel just by looking at the size of the inducer. Not sure about super 60 wheel.
    Does it have a .63 exhaust housing? Looks like it was only upgraded on the compressor side. And who did the work/upgrade? TU?

turbo addict

yea i thought all true super 60 turbos were turbonetics turbos

Yeah but it can still have a super 60 wheel in the stock cover. The only difference with the turbonetics S60 cover is it's ported out for a tiny bit more flow. But it's not even .5 lb/min difference.
    I'd like to know if this turbo has a .63 housing though.

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Looks to me like the inlet has been in larged

Hybrid booster

pm sent, waitin for reply.

Hybrid booster

still waitin.......

He was online today. Apparently just doesn't like replying to the thread or answering PM's!!!

Hybrid booster

he replied, were working out a deal. thanks for the bumps though!!

Hybrid booster

made the purchase yesterday guys!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moparzrule View Post
    He was online today. Apparently just doesn't like replying to the thread or answering PM's!!!
    No it's not a true super 60, but it's definitely atleast a 60 trim compressor wheel just by looking at the size of the inducer. Not sure about super 60 wheel.
    Does it have a .63 exhaust housing? Looks like it was only upgraded on the compressor side. And who did the work/upgrade? TU?
    Maybe he dont like people saying he's not selling what he's selling?

Quote Originally Posted by onerippinturbo2 View Post
    made the purchase yesterday guys!
    Cool

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

boostaholic

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I can attest to that. Shawn is a good guy and good friend of mine. Somebody got a deal here.

Facts are facts, that is 100% for sure not a true super 60 turbo, and being that it isn't, some questions and doubts arise.

It's not hard to make a simple post and state some facts to set the record straight and answer some questions, like if it has a .63 housing or not. Probably worth twice as much if it really has a .63 housing. If it only has a .48, well then I wouldn't really go around calling it a super 60 turbo but some people still do. But if the OP leaves out these simple facts, it leaves this open to speculation. But the point is, as mentioned, it's not a true super 60 so therefore it may not have a .63 housing so we have to ask. He never responded, and here we are now still wondering what it has. Is it a big secret? Is he trying to take somebody by not disclosing it has a .48 on it? Maybe not, maybe it does have a .63 housing. Who knows, again more speculation simply because he doesn't respond to questions in his thread.

Facts? I guess that depends on your definition and the sellers definition of a Super 60 turbo. I see nowhere in post 1 that he says "Chrysler part number PXXXXXXX Super 60 turbo"... therefore the door is WIDE open to interpretation of what he considers a Super 60 turbo.

It appears to have a Super 60 comp wheel (looks like the two on my desk at least) in a T03 housing so why is that not a Super 60 turbo? Oh I gotcha... wait a minute... Yes, a "true" Super 60 has the .63 turbine housing (although people and vendors disregard this) , but we dont know what it has so how do you know what it does or doesnt have?

Not to mention if he bought a "Super 60" turbo from various vendors, it would more than likely look exactly like that.

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!

Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Facts? I guess that depends on your definition and the sellers definition of a Super 60 turbo. I see nowhere in post 1 that he says "Chrysler part number PXXXXXXX Super 60 turbo"... therefore the door is WIDE open to interpretation of what he considers a Super 60 turbo.
    Wow you cannot read. I already mentioned in this thread a true super 60 has a ported compressor housing.

Turbonetics made true super 60's as well, so no you don't need a chrysler part number.

Anyway, about the vendors....tu any does not call it a super 60 turbo. It says-

''Chrysler TI/TII Modified Garrett TU60''

The very first line in the description says -

''Garrett TI/TII Turbo Upgraded with a TU60 (60-Trim) Compressor Wheel''

Thats pretty clear that what you are buying comes with everything stock T2 except an upgraded 60 trim compressor in the stock housing.

but we dont know what it has so how do you know what it does or doesnt have?
    I think people will assume if you say you are selling a super 60 turbo that it comes with a .63 housing.

but see my previous thread's quote on this matter-

He never responded, and here we are now still wondering what it has. Is it a big secret? Is he trying to take somebody by not disclosing it has a .48 on it? Maybe not, maybe it does have a .63 housing. Who knows, again more speculation simply because he doesn't respond to questions in his thread.

Hybrid booster

it has a .48 housing. i had the same turbo on my now son's glhs. basically a turbo plus unit. i got mine from LRE years ago, i dont know where shawn got this from but it is what i was looking for as far as a replacment, i had rebuilt a stock unit for the car, but when i seen this come up i went for it,as this is what was on the car for a long time, i liked the way it boosted, near zero lag all around good turbo. the one i pulled off the car, was done for. the compressor housing some how got loose and was allowing the thing to leak boost off and the thing over time lost the bearings and started smoking, i took it apart and found that it was basically junk, needed both wheels, center housing shot, compressor housing was scared as well. he is shipping it out to me on tuesday, he had to pull it off the car yet. so i will let you guys know what it looks like when i get it.

Wow you cannot read. I already mentioned in this thread a true super 60 has a ported compressor housing.
    Do you realize that any T03 housing has to be ported to fit a S60 comp wheel? Please see the attached pictures of Turbonetics Super 60 turbo (purchased by me directly from Turbonetics in 1996) and a stock Turbo-II Garrett.

Turbonetics made true super 60's as well, so no you don't need a chrysler part number.
    Yes, that is where I got mine, pic attached.

Anyway, about the vendors....tu any does not call it a super 60 turbo. It says-

''Chrysler TI/TII Modified Garrett TU60''

The very first line in the description says -

''Garrett TI/TII Turbo Upgraded with a TU60 (60-Trim) Compressor Wheel''

Thats pretty clear that what you are buying comes with everything stock T2 except an upgraded 60 trim compressor in the stock housing.
    Did I say TU? Other vendors through the years have refered to any turbo with a Super 60 comp wheel as a Super 60 turbo. Just like many call a "50 trim" any turbo with a 50 trim comp wheel regardless if it has a stock or Stage III turbine wheel.

I think people will assume if you say you are selling a super 60 turbo that it comes with a .63 housing.

but see my previous thread's quote on this matter-
    I already agreed that "true" S60 should have the .63 turbine housing, but when this information is not offered, you should not jump to the conclusion that it is not a "true" Super 60 turbo...

BTW, doesn't the turbo for sale look remarkably like the Super 60 turbo I purchased from Turbonetics years ago?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	super60.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	25341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	completeturbo2.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	25342  

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President

Do you realize that any T03 housing has to be ported to fit a S60 comp wheel?
    ]
    Do you seriously not know the difference between porting a housing and machining it to fit a larger wheel?

Did I say TU? Other vendors through the years have refered to any turbo with a Super 60 comp wheel as a Super 60 turbo. Just like many call a "50 trim" any turbo with a 50 trim comp wheel regardless if it has a stock or Stage III turbine wheel.
    ]
    You said Various vendor's....does this not include TU? There's not too many vendors out there to say various and not be talking about TU.

I already agreed that "true" S60 should have the .63 turbine housing, but when this information is not offered, you should not jump to the conclusion that it is not a "true" Super 60 turbo...

BTW, doesn't the turbo for sale look remarkably like the Super 60 turbo I purchased from Turbonetics years ago?
    ]
    Thats NOT super 60, you bought a turbo plus unit or got ripped off LOL. One can easily tell by the angle of the blades that that turbo is a straight 60 trim NOT a super 60. Turbo plus was a 60 trim. If you paid for a super 60, you got ripped off. They must have been running low on stock at the time or something.

A TRUE super 60 will not say garrett on it at all. They were ONLY made by turbonetics. Turbonetics modified stock T2 turbo's with a 60 trim wheel (not super 60) for the turbo plus unit.

On a super 60, the compressor housing was ported, meaning this area enlarged for better flow-

Last edited by moparzrule; 09-02-2010 at 10:22 PM.

Having trouble finding a pic of a true original super 60 compressor outlet, but here's the best I've found, you can just barely see it-

Notice how thin it is an the outlet because the housing has been ported out for higher flow. And also, lack of GARRETT. The housing has been coated with some dark grey paint here though.

Thats what they originally looked like when you bought them from chrysler. Straight from turbonetics you'd get a polished housing and turbonetics on it-

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast