Thread: Carbonetic "bladed" Carbon pucked Discs

turbo addict

Carbonetic "bladed" Carbon pucked Discs

http://www.carbonetic.net/products/blade.html

Randomly googled and couldn't find what I want. Then looked at their site for a different reason and saw this new product (not there last time I visited.

As far as I am concerned going to a carbon puck disc would be the best thing for the platform on a conservative budget.

I also think that you could feel more confident about going to a solid hub (even though their product is using a sprung hub here in the link)

Slips when cold, grabs when hot. Slips during shockloads, then hooks up. Does not weld itself to the plate/flywheel like sintered iron (which behaves similarly when cold/hot).

Cool to see someone finally doing this. One thing about carbon stuff is that you don't want someone slapping on a questionable carbon puck because they do fail when installed/designed wrong. RPS had problems with their high dollar carbon clutches years ago. They had a stupidly designed puzzle piece cut carbon attached in "full face" style to a disc that was not full faced! (like attaching a full face organic surface to a 6 4 or 3 wing disc, but carbon is very brittle!).
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Re: Carbonetic "bladed" Carbon pucked Discs

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    http://www.carbonetic.net/products/blade.html

Randomly googled and couldn't find what I want. Then looked at their site for a different reason and saw this new product (not there last time I visited.

As far as I am concerned going to a carbon puck disc would be the best thing for the platform on a conservative budget.

I also think that you could feel more confident about going to a solid hub (even though their product is using a sprung hub here in the link)

Slips when cold, grabs when hot. Slips during shockloads, then hooks up. Does not weld itself to the plate/flywheel like sintered iron (which behaves similarly when cold/hot).

Cool to see someone finally doing this. One thing about carbon stuff is that you don't want someone slapping on a questionable carbon puck because they do fail when installed/designed wrong. RPS had problems with their high dollar carbon clutches years ago. They had a stupidly designed puzzle piece cut carbon attached in "full face" style to a disc that was not full faced! (like attaching a full face organic surface to a 6 4 or 3 wing disc, but carbon is very brittle!).
    Reminds me of the carbon/carbon breaks used in F1 back in the day, until they got hot, you almost didn't have brakes! I wonder about the slippage with "shock loads" and if this would be a good choice for someone who will track the car as well as drag it.... In the end, if it lives I guess that's #1!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

Well I think that the fact that clutches are always clamped down until you put your foot on it, they would stay warmed up. The clutch pucks are probably much lower mass then those F1 breaks so they probably don't take much to warm up and grab.
    Brent GREAT DEPRESSION RACING 1992 Duster 3.0T The Junkyard - MS II, OEM 10:1 -[I] Old - 11.5@125 22psi $90 [U]Stock[/U] 3.0 Junk Motor - 1 bar MAP [/I] 1994 Spirit 3.0T - 11.5@120 20 psi - Daily :eyebrows: Holset He351 -FT600 - 393whp 457ft/lb @18psi 1994 Spirit 3.0T a670 - He341, stock fuel, BEGI. Wife's into kid's project. 1990 Lebaron Coupe 2.2 TI/II non IC, a413 1990 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1993 Spirit 3.0 E.S. 41TE -- 1994 Duster 3.0 A543 1981 Starlet KP61 Potential driver -- 1981 Starlet KP61 Parts -- 1983 Starlet KP61 Drag 2005 Durango Hemi Limited -- 1998 Dodge 12v 47re. AFC mods, No plate, Mack plug, Boost elbow -- 2011 Dodge 6.7 G56

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ondonti View Post
    Well I think that the fact that clutches are always clamped down until you put your foot on it, they would stay warmed up. The clutch pucks are probably much lower mass then those F1 breaks so they probably don't take much to warm up and grab.
    Yeah, you are probably right, plus you have a metal flywheel, so the heat would be somewhat stored, and the level of friction would be higher to start with compared to carbon/carbon disc/pad...

I for one will be very interested in how it works out, and how much it cost!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

How conservative are you thinking? You didnt look at their prices! For a Honda (since they have a huge aftermarket prices are generally reasonable) its $1,200 AND WAY UP from there.
    That is actually the LOWEST price of a set that they offer.

Garrett booster

Kevlar. Works great. Lasts long time.