Thread: Will not rev past 4500

Mitsu booster

Will not rev past 4500

I just bought a 1989 voyager turbo automatic and am very excited. Transmission shifts smoothly and just fine under normal load, but at WOT (when the tranny downshifts itself to stay in a lower gear) it never shifts because it is not reaching its shift point. It just bogs at 4500 rpm, almost like hitting a fuel cut.

Help me please, I just bought this thing and have done everything I could think of that might carry over from my knowledge of SR20DET 240sx's, but I know next to nothing about this particular vehicle. The boost solenoid is not attached, it has a grainger valve placed between the wastegate and the compressor housing, no vacuum leaks, and I'm about out of ideas. Bad trans sensor somewhere? IDK, help me out please.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Will not rev past 4500

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not too familiar with automatics... Might be an issue with the kickdown cable setting?

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Mitsu booster

Hmmm, I'm not used to messing with the old autotragics either. Thanks for the idea, I really need to figure this out so I can stop putting so many miles on my SR

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

how many PSI r u running????

Mitsu booster

6 psi

turn the key back n forward 3 times. the check engine light will flash. with slight pauses in between

count the # of times it lights up...this will tell us if you are throwing any codes.

it should prolly start off with 12

chekc engine light will FLASH.....pause.....FLASH FLASH......pause......1......then 2..... = 12

see what u get. "55" will be end of code. FLASH x5 with pause, then 5 more flashes

the hall effect pickup can acuse problems when getting into that RPM range as well. wonder if its defective? thats the HEP sensor under the distributor...it has 2 wires coming out of it each with a plug, one black, one grey

Mitsu booster

the check engine light was off when i got the thing, but it was still doing this 4500 rev limit thing. now its on, but thats bc i took out the boost solenoid i think. i will check the codes regardless and let you know.

as far as the HEP sensor, how could i tell if it was bad? Just pick up a few at the junkyard and try them to see if it stops?

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

cam timing is advanced a tooth or so.

brian

maybe you unplugged the map sensor, or solenoid by accident?

Mitsu booster

MAP sensor is on the top center of the firewall with a vacuum line from the intake right? Its all plugged in, could it be bad?

solenoid is no longer even in the car, but that shouldnt matter since its got the grainger valve right? I know it can make you throw a check engine light, but it was doing this even before i took out the solenoid (which is by the charcoal canister, right?)

will check the codes, and the timing. about the timing, i have a light but does anyone know the degree values of the ticks on the crank pulley?

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Could be a bad TPS but check codes and go here-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=30

Timing is 12 deg, with the coolant sensor disconnected-its the sensor behind and to the side of the thermostat.

You can also check cam timing too using the light-

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...&articleid=131

Unless the trans is severely damaged, it won't be causing your issues.

Go to this site, turbo database section and read it a few times-

www.thedodgegarage.com
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hybrid booster

+1 what turbovanman says.
    Also, some eec's hit overboost cutout at ~7psi.
    You description sounds suspiciously like an overboost condition.
    You may even have a code stored for it.
    With stock turbo you're done at ~4000rpm, at 4500 RPM you aren't making any extra power.
    WELCOME!

paul

Mitsu booster

Thanks again guys, sorry about my absence. I don't have access to the internet on the weekend.

Boost holds steady at 6 psi with absolutely no variation, so I'm not sure how it could be overboost.

I checked the codes and got this:
    13 - MAP sensor, vacuum
    15 - speed sensor
    31 - canister purge solenoid
    36 - wastegate control
    46 - battery volt sensing
    51 - oxygen sensor

I'm not too worried about 31 and 36. I'm almost positive that these are due to the removal of the factory boost solenoid, but there is a grainger valve on there.

46 seems to just be when the alternator or battery puts out at least 1 volt more than 12.6, so I'm not really worried about that either.

13, I'm not so sure about. Could it be a bad MAP sensor? When I got the van, I noticed that one of the 2 vacuum nipples on the MAP sensor was just venting (the other went to the FPR/intake manifold). I just capped it off so that the MAPS would still see vacuum. Could this be part of the issue?

The O2 sensor code bothers me a little bit too. I guess its either bad, or I really am running lean.

Could the speed sensor code have to do with this shifting problem at all? Seems like it might, but I don't know enough about this particular vehicle to say. Help?

Thanks again for all the support, hopefully we can get this figured out soon and move on to bigger and better things.

Also, if anyone could tell me how to clear the codes so that I can see what pops back up, that would be great.

Boost, it's what's for dinner... Turbo Mopar Staff Aries_Turbo's Avatar

disconnect the battery and turn on the headlights for 30 sec. hook the battery back up, start it and shut it off and check the codes.

other than the grainger, hook the vacuum lines up like the diagram under the hood.

check the cam timing.

Brian

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FreeCandy View Post
    Thanks again guys, sorry about my absence. I don't have access to the internet on the weekend.

Boost holds steady at 6 psi with absolutely no variation, so I'm not sure how it could be overboost.

I checked the codes and got this:
    13 - MAP sensor, vacuum
    15 - speed sensor
    31 - canister purge solenoid
    36 - wastegate control
    46 - battery volt sensing
    51 - oxygen sensor

46 seems to just be when the alternator or battery puts out at least 1 volt more than 12.6, so I'm not really worried about that either.

It could still be a bad alternator, it might not be putting out full amperage, you need to check amps.

13, I'm not so sure about. Could it be a bad MAP sensor? When I got the van, I noticed that one of the 2 vacuum nipples on the MAP sensor was just venting (the other went to the FPR/intake manifold). I just capped it off so that the MAPS would still see vacuum. Could this be part of the issue?

Yes, one side goes to the intake, the other to the MAP. Make sure the MAP has full manifold vacuum

The O2 sensor code bothers me a little bit too. I guess its either bad, or I really am running lean. To check it, go here- http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/vb...e&articleid=22

Could the speed sensor code have to do with this shifting problem at all? Seems like it might, but I don't know enough about this particular vehicle to say. Help? Transmission has NO electric controls, the only thing this will do is affect the idle speed and could cause it to cut out.
    Reply's in red.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info