Thread: Charcoal Canister???

Mitsu booster

Charcoal Canister???

I have heard of debris getting into the carb engines and causing problems. Is it possible for it to be an issue on the fuel injection cars?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: Charcoal Canister???

You mean if you remove it or if you keep it? I've left them in place and I've taken them out and I don't notice a difference.

Mitsu booster

Yes if I keep it. As far as I know it is the original. Just making sure they do not go bad over time and need replacing.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

You'll probably have the vac lines fail before you have problems caused by the canister. I think most of them aren't hooked up again after the vac lines are replaced.

turbo addict

On the carb cars.....people that squeezed more fuel into their tanks after the pumps had clicked off could have excess fuel go down those hoses to the canister causing the charcoal to break up and end up in the carbs...a real bear to clean up afterwards. I think an old Direct Connection book stated to put fuel filters on each side of those hoses to and from the canister...old Matchbox has been without a canister since 85.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]47 Time NHRA/IHRA drag race champ-----84 Plymouth Horizon/1 of 84 HO equipped from the factory/1910 lbs, 2.5 with carb, nearly 315,000 miles-----04 SRT4/S2 with S3 turbo/12.17 @ 119/DOTs/93 Octane/SOLD-----2003 PT Cruiser GT, won a True Street class at the 2017 National Muscle Car Association World Street Finals-----2010 Toyota Prius/my delivery truck, 77.9 mpg best and NOT A PLUG IN, nearly 230,000 miles and way over 5600 miles per month! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Mitsu booster

Quote Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing View Post
    On the carb cars.....people that squeezed more fuel into their tanks after the pumps had clicked off could have excess fuel go down those hoses to the canister causing the charcoal to break up and end up in the carbs...a real bear to clean up afterwards. I think an old Direct Connection book stated to put fuel filters on each side of those hoses to and from the canister...old Matchbox has been without a canister since 85.
    I should have been more clear on the fact I have a fuel injected turbo II car. I brought up the carb statement cus my uncle once heard about it. I am trying to get mine up to date and didn't know rather to get a ne canister or just keep the one it has.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor supercrackerbox's Avatar

I can't say that I've ever heard of the EFI or MPFI cars having that issue.

Hybrid booster

Its just there to soak up and vent excess gasses out your tank. Epa reasons, and for your sake. Without it, some have complained of strong gas smell in the car, ive seen some vent it near the ground.Would it be possible to say put a small brass medium filter in line on it, and purely vent it to the throttle body? Thats where its vented once past the charcoal medium.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor zin's Avatar

This, along with maybe a PCV system are two emissions devices that are hard to argue with, they don't cost power and actually make life more pleasant for the driver due to the absence of fuel/blow-by gasses stinking up the joint!

Keep it, you'll likely never know it's even there, and virtually no weight savings so, unless it's a max-effort racecar, it doesn't even make sense for that!

Mike
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." - Patrick Henry

Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny.
    - Edmund Burke

turbo addict

IIRC, I think a lot of the problems with the carb'ed cars came from the vaccum booster filter that disintegrated over time, and not as much as the charcoal canister. I agree with Mike, leave it in, it's not hurting performance whatsoever.
    Todd

Mitsu booster

Thanks for the feed back. I will leave it alone.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

The problem with the carbed cars was during aggressive cornering, fuel slosh could cause raw gas to go down the bowl vent line to the carcoal canister and cause the charcoal to disintegrate. As it purged back to the carb, it would puke charcoal bits into the bowl which would plug the jets. The solution was to put a cheap fuel filter in the vent line to stop the charcoal bits from getting to the bowl. Since either a turbo car or an efi car vents the charcoal canister behind the throttle body, you don't have the issue. The injectors are never exposed to the charcoal.

I would keep it. It does prevent fuel vapors from escaping.