Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cross drilled and slotted rotors - will it fit?

Garrett booster

Re: Cross drilled and slotted rotors - will it fit?

The rotor size of the minivan is the same as an ES Spirit, so you can run your stock wheels with no worries, and the rotors are dirt cheap. The added clamping force of the minivan caliper with the added swept area of the minivan pads will offer your biggest bang for the buck, and you need only swap out calipers and caliper locating brackets to minivan ones. And minivan stuff is alot more common to find for cores etc, than 11" Daytona CS/RT stuff.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore
    The rotor size of the minivan is the same as an ES Spirit, so you can run your stock wheels with no worries, and the rotors are dirt cheap. The added clamping force of the minivan caliper with the added swept area of the minivan pads will offer your biggest bang for the buck, and you need only swap out calipers and caliper locating brackets to minivan ones. And minivan stuff is alot more common to find for cores etc, than 11" Daytona CS/RT stuff.
    It isn't hard to peace together a 11" setup for close to the price of cross drilled/ slotted rotors. Get a 91 k-frame/ knuckles/ a-arms with 91+ "15" wheels" grand van calipers and offsets and use some new rotors. I bought a 91 k-frame with associated parts for $50. http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...d=3&SubCatId=4

Daniel Merrill

Hybrid booster

Ok I gotta jump in.

Cross-Drilled are not as bad as people make them out to be. A tendency to crack yes, but just like anything, the better the product the less likely it is to fail. I would avoid Ebay rotors. I know too many people with horror stories. X-Drilled and Slotted rotors are amazing. You may not notice the extra stopping power but it's the insurance that helps. Pads last longer. They are basically good for the whole brake system as long as they are good quality. Poor quality(which most are) are absolute crap and probably give them a bad name. When done right something with a circular hole can not be more prone to cracking. Think about it logically.

If you just want your brakes to withstand agressive driving you would be fine with just rotors and a sound brake system. Anything else screwed up in the system puts extra strain on the rotors. If you really want to stop faster then yes get some bigger hardware. In all of my cars personally I found that when everything is in good working order(caliper, piston, seals, pads, rotors and fluid) there is much less abuse on the whole system. I think pads play a much bigger role than they have been credit to so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 19w/ashelby
    Ok I gotta jump in.

Cross-Drilled are not as bad as people make them out to be. A tendency to crack yes, but just like anything, the better the product the less likely it is to fail. I would avoid Ebay rotors. I know too many people with horror stories. X-Drilled and Slotted rotors are amazing. You may not notice the extra stopping power but it's the insurance that helps. Pads last longer. They are basically good for the whole brake system as long as they are good quality. Poor quality(which most are) are absolute crap and probably give them a bad name. When done right something with a circular hole can not be more prone to cracking. Think about it logically.

If you just want your brakes to withstand agressive driving you would be fine with just rotors and a sound brake system. Anything else screwed up in the system puts extra strain on the rotors. If you really want to stop faster then yes get some bigger hardware. In all of my cars personally I found that when everything is in good working order(caliper, piston, seals, pads, rotors and fluid) there is much less abuse on the whole system. I think pads play a much bigger role than they have been credit to so far.
    I agree but there's on more point I failed to make previously. The cross-drilled rotors you guys talk about (if I'm not mistaken) are drilled thru each vane. The drilled rotors I made for me and my brothers are only drilled every other vane. There's enough overlap of the drills to bleed gases with out perforating the rotor till it's freaking swiss cheese. THOSE I could see cracking (with apologies to Mike M). As far as pads go there is a DEFINITE difference. There are low gas emission pads that use a different binder the name escapes me now. But I think the best system to use for the street is the mini van. you can't beat it for brake swept area in a fairly compact package. I'm running 11" on my Omni but, I'm thinking of changing to these for road racing.

Garrett booster

If cross drilled rotors were a bad design, then Porsches, ZO6's, BMW M cars, and numerous other cars capable of insane performance, as well as every single sportbike making over 65 hp wouldn't come with them from the factory.

I made some of my own, 5 yrs ago, and still no cracks. I used minivan rotors from Wagner to start with. the minivan rotors are the same overall size dimensions as Daytona or GLH ones, but have thicker rotor faces, and a little thinner vent/van channel betweeen the rotor faces. More material = less chance of warpage or cracking. I also staggered my holes so no two were side by side in one vane, and they progressively swept in 1/4" towards the center as I moved over one vane, until they got close enough to the center hat area that the pad wouldn't get to them, then I began the next row back near the outside again. I basically followed the same drilled pattern as my Honda CBR600 had.

i got my rotors for 15.?? each for the fronts. 10.25"

so if i have a 93 lebaron sedan, with ate 10.25 fronts, will ones from a mini be any better?

well, i meant mini calipers.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman142
    well, i meant mini calipers.
    The calipers for the 11" rotors are the same between the vans and the cars. Though the vans are 4.5" spacing and the cars are 100 spacing, the rotors and the bearing insert are the only different parts. You can swap in the 11" fronts pretty cheep.

Daniel Merrill

Garrett booster

I saw that on TD you are looking for parts. You can find the calipers and the rotors new at napa for a not bad price for the fronts. You need to get the caliper spacer from a 91+ grand van with the big bolt pattern 11's. If you wanted too you could swap to the big bolt pattern 11s on front and the van drums on the rear, but you would have to change alloys then.

Daniel Merrill

i am going with 11" rear disc, and i want to upgrade the fronts but everyone seems to tell me something different.

Garrett booster

You can do a 11" front with the info from my previous post. If you need any help feel free to pm me.

Daniel Merrill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123