Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross drilled and slotted rotors - will it fit?

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor Dave's Avatar

Cross drilled and slotted rotors - will it fit?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Anybody know if these will fit my Spirit?

I ended up developing high-temp. cracks in my rotors. I need something that will help me stop at higher speeds.

Thanks.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Cross drilled and slotted rotors - will it fit?

Looks like there for a Dakota so probably not. Search Ebay, I found a few for sale and they appeared to be high quality.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/rotors...t_W0QQfromZR40
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Anybody know if these will fit my Spirit?

I ended up developing high-temp. cracks in my rotors. I need something that will help me stop at higher speeds.

Thanks.

Drilled rotors are even more likely to crack under extreme use in my experience. The holes also reduce swept area. I think you need to upgrade to bigger brakes.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Drilled rotors are even more likely to crack under extreme use in my experience. The holes also reduce swept area. I think you need to upgrade to bigger brakes.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    How much bigger can I go? Bigger, meaning in just the rotors? I'm still using the stock 15" Snowflake rims.

I don't neccassarily use it "extremely." I just need something the breathe while stopping at high speeds. I can't have it glazing while trying to slow down.

Garrett booster

You can go the 11" rt / shelby disks, the 91 rt's had snowflakes. Dave are you still running the stock rear drums?

Daniel Merrill

boostaholic

Slotted rotors work better and aren't as crack prone as drilled rotors. I just wish I knew where I could find some.

Quote Originally Posted by 89acclaim
    You can go the 11" rt / shelby disks, the 91 rt's had snowflakes. Dave are you still running the stock rear drums?

Daniel Merrill
    I'm still using the stock rear drums. Haven't even touched them since I've had it for 40,000 miles.

What size are my rotors?

Hybrid booster

The holes also reduce swept area
    I've heard that they actually improve stopping power.. due to the holes acting as sort of a grip for the pads.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShelbyZD
    I've heard that they actually improve stopping power.. due to the holes acting as sort of a grip for the pads.
    When you brake hard a gas is created from the pad material between the pad and rotor surface, lifting the pad off the rotor, causing soft pedal feeling and reduced braking performance. The holes allow that gas to escape and your pads stay in contact with rotor giving you more stopping power.

Hybrid booster

Since it has not been mentioned yet. If your rotors are cracking due to heat, perhaps look at getting them cryoed. Many police depts get them done, and some cars come from the factory treated, so I have been told. My cryo shop mentioned a study done were the temp was read from a treated rotor and non treated on the same car. The treated was ~30% cooler than non treated.

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 89turbomini
    When you brake hard a gas is created from the pad material between the pad and rotor surface, lifting the pad off the rotor, causing soft pedal feeling and reduced braking performance. The holes allow that gas to escape and your pads stay in contact with rotor giving you more stopping power.

You are correct, but slotted rotors accomplish the same thing, without the tendency to crack, or as much of a loss in swept area.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Garrett booster

10.25 Your stock vs 11.25 RT/shelby/iroc.

The thing that bugs me is that the replacement rotors "11.25"" for the RT's are $19 more than the ones for the 11.25" Grand vans. $42.00 vs $61.00, the only difference is the grand ones are 5X4.5" vs the RT 5X100mm. I do wonder how hard it would be to do a 5X4.5" conversion... I hope I helped.

Daniel Merrill

Garrett booster

Hawk Pads/Rotors FTW! my buddy has pads and rotors on the front of his neon and the sweet part is the hotter the pads/rotors get the better they stop!

according to a couple buddies of mine, and what i have read and researched, drilled rotors USE TO out perform regular disks. since the brake pad manufactures changed the way they make pads, its a little different. the pads use to emmit smoke when they were used heavily, hence the drilled/slotted rotors to vent out the gases that were released and help grab the disk better. but since the material that is used is different it wont make too much of a difference slotted vs not.

the 11in rt brakes are a deffent upgrade! i switched them on the shadow when i had it, and man it stopped on a dime. if i were you id get the rt calipers and buy some hawk hps pads, rotors, and the super blue racing brake fluid, and call it a day. garuntee it'll be much better.

~Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by 89acclaim

The thing that bugs me is that the replacement rotors "11.25"" for the RT's are $19 more than the ones for the 11.25" Grand vans. $42.00 vs $61.00, the only difference is the grand ones are 5X4.5" vs the RT 5X100mm. I do wonder how hard it would be to do a 5X4.5" conversion... I hope I helped.

Daniel Merrill
    Wouldn't be hard on a car with the 4 bolt on bearings. Just get a Grand wheel bearing and bolt it on, then get the Grand rotor and some new wheels, your good to go,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by 3Bar_Mopar
    Slotted rotors work better and aren't as crack prone as drilled rotors. I just wish I knew where I could find some.
    Ask and you shall receive...http://www.raceshopper.com/sp_dodge.shtmlhere is a link that I found not too long ago. When I found it they actually had prices listed. If I remember correctly the front rotors for my 88 shelby z were $110 for the set, both right and left, and $90ish for the rear rotors. They have cross drilled, slotted, cross drilled and slotted, diamond slotted. They have them for a lot of different models. Hope that helps.

turbo addict

I looked at all the local parts stores and napa has the cheapest 11" front and rear rotors. I printed out a napa online shopping cart with those items since it was a little cheaper than the actual store and they gave me the better price. They have the fronts for $26.99 and the rears for $24.99 vented or solid. Best prices by far. So I don't see why people are complaining about they cost more, I have them and the look goood and reasonable.

Garrett booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman
    Wouldn't be hard on a car with the 4 bolt on bearings. Just get a Grand wheel bearing and bolt it on, then get the Grand rotor and some new wheels, your good to go,
    I figured that but I haven't pulled some apart and tried it. Thanks for the conformation turbovanman, that very well might be the cheep upgrade on my nest TM...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria
    I looked at all the local parts stores and napa has the cheapest 11" front and rear rotors. I printed out a napa online shopping cart with those items since it was a little cheaper than the actual store and they gave me the better price. They have the fronts for $26.99 and the rears for $24.99 vented or solid. Best prices by far. So I don't see why people are complaining about they cost more, I have them and the look goood and reasonable.
    I was saying about the nice Brembo rotors at tirerack, two weeks ago it was $20.00 on sale. No complaining here, I just bought a Daytona Shelby to rob the brakes off of.

Daniel Merrill

Quote Originally Posted by Speedeuphoria

Remember this, the cheaper the price, most times the cheaper product. Instead of using pure metal, they use recycled tin cans. How else can they make a rotor for $26.99?

turbo addict

Yeah well I got the brembo fronts when they were on sale at tirerack.com and got the rears from napa so will see how they hold up. You could cryo them with a bunch of other stuff and probably be better off, who knows.

There are still bargins in this world and just because one vendor sells the same part for more than the other dosen't mean it is better, its just more profitable. Look at Forwardmotions tourque convertor for like $900, Kevin Davis let me in on the same one for 1/2 price(and that is w/ modified 904 splines), no BS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast