Thread: Finally got around to it...some follow up questions

Hybrid booster

Finally got around to it...some follow up questions

Sorry for my ignorance, but to be fair, i never saw myself being able to actually do anything like this.

So i just replaced the timing belt and timing belt tensioner on my Daytona. I got her all tied up except for the shield.

I know i've searched the threads and its supposed to be tight enough that i can get it to 90 degrees with a fair amount of effort? I think i did that, but i'm curious if there's any easy way to tell if it's too tight (before i lose the belt). While i'm proud i got it off and on, its definitely not something i'm looking to repeat soon.

Important question-> Do i need to time the car again? I don't exactly have a timing light in close proximity. Even if i need to time it, can i drive it without doing so without eminent danger?

Any help is appreciated, if i need to time it i can get my stepdad out here and get it done, just hoping its not a necessity....

Hybrid booster

Re: Finally got around to it...some follow up questions

If it's too tight you may be able to hear it whine. It will also have a tendency to walk off the pulley.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

If you can fairly easily turn the belt 90* you should be all set. I was surprised how little tension is required when I first used my tensioner tool.

If the belt tracks too far to the inside of the cam pulley, it is too loose. If it whines it is too tight for sure.

You will need to redo the ignition timing for sure. You can drive it until you set it, but make sure not to get on it at all. If the timing is too high it could cause detonation and ruin your day.

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys. I had it loose and could turn it 90, but i could easily move it on the pulleys, which scared me, so i tightened it, its an effort (but not much of one) to get it 90...just wasn't sure how *much* effort. I'll start it tomorrow and see if it whines...don't want to take it apart again....

Guess i'll have to go home and snare the timing light, not that i know how to time, but i'll find someone who can =P

I've seen the effects of detonation (the last time i pulled the head) i will definitely be looking to avoid that! =)

Thanks again guys, just wanted to know if it was worth my time to get up early or if there was no way i was driving it this weekend...

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

To set the timing all you need to do is unplug the coolant temp sensor, hook up the timing light (the clip deal goes over the #1 wire) if it is one of the jobs with the advance knobs on it set it to 0 and rotate the distributor until the timing mark is at 12* in the window at the top of the trans.

Rotating the dist counter clockwise advances timing. Clockwise retards it. The first hash is 0* and they go up by 2s.

You have to realize that when the block and head get warm they grow making the belt tighter. As others have said if when the engine gets warm and you hear a supercharger wine from the belt it's to tight. I've heard some people actually break cams by having the belt to tight.