Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Initial Fire Up, Oil Priming

Hybrid booster

Initial Fire Up, Oil Priming

OK, I'm just about ready to fire up the 2.5 TBI that I have re-ringed and put a reconditioned head on. In the past, I have just pulled the plugs, and the HEP connectors, opened the throttle and cranked the motor with the starter to prime the oil system.

Is there a better way to do this? I'm wondering about taking the timing belt off and spinning the intermediate shaft, would this prime the oil pump and get oil pumped through the motor? How about any other ways/suggestions?

Post away!
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Initial Fire Up, Oil Priming

Best way is to turn the aux shaft but removing the plugs and disabling the fuel pump is what I've used too, both work.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I use a spade bit with the tip ground off in a drill to turn the aux shaft. I go until the drill gets bogged down and call it a day. It's a very quick process.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I use a spade bit with the tip ground off in a drill to turn the aux shaft. I go until the drill gets bogged down and call it a day. It's a very quick process.
    Why not just drive the 18mm bolt?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

Hybrid booster

Thanks for the replies! I'll just go for spinning the motor with the starter, it would be a bit of a PITA to take off the timing belt now that it is all lined up and tensioned.
    1986 Chrysler Lebaron 2 dr. R.I.P. 2.2 T1 log intake, modified to intercool Best 1/8th 9.03@77mph / Best 1/4 14.16@93.55mph Running on E85:nod:[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] '93 Spirit 2.5 TBI 5 Spd(sold), '85 Ramcharger, 360 4brl, NP435 4 Spd. The new ride; '90 Sundance 2.5 T1/5 spd. FMIC(from Ford Probe) new Mitsu; Best 1/8th 8.96@79.16 / Best 1/4 14.06@101.27

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

I don't like spinning the starter. You are still moving the crank against the bearings before pressurizing with oil. If you used a good assembly lube or STP on all the bearings, then it SHOULD be OK, but I still feel much better priming the pump by only turning the pump (aux shaft).

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Why not just drive the 18mm bolt?
    I don't have an air ratchet which spins sufficiently fast to really prime the pump the way I like. If it was off the car I would just use the gun, but I like to prime it right before I set the timing and fire it up for the first time.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    I don't like spinning the starter. You are still moving the crank against the bearings before pressurizing with oil. If you used a good assembly lube or STP on all the bearings, then it SHOULD be OK, but I still feel much better priming the pump by only turning the pump (aux shaft).
    I used Permatex Ultraslick assembly lube on the bearings.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Grinding the tip off of a spade bit - good idea. I made my engine priming tool by welding a piece of strap to the end of a 1/4" rod. With the drill motor cranking the oil pump and the engine on the engine stand with the VC off, I crank until I confirm cam/follower oil and turbo supply and return oil.

IMO, the point is not so much to prime immediately before starting the engine as it is to push all the air out of all the galleries and eliminate air pockets that might starve a plain bearing for a moment on initial start up. After the engine is installed and before you start it, yeah what the heck, give it a crank without plugs or with the coil disconnected.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

turbo supply and return oil
    thats a real big one if your using a new turbo, ive seen many turbo failures because of not priming them properly...

I don't have an air ratchet which spins sufficiently fast to really prime the pump the way I like. If it was off the car I would just use the gun, but I like to prime it right before I set the timing and fire it up for the first time.
    Drill, use one of those drill bit adapters so you can use a socket, if you have a cordless screwdriver, you most likely have one,

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    Drill, use one of those drill bit adapters so you can use a socket, if you have a cordless screwdriver, you most likely have one,
    That would work if it will fit in the car with the motor in it. I usually just do it in the dist hole for convenience.

That would work if it will fit in the car with the motor in it. I usually just do it in the dist hole for convenience.
    Ahhhh, yeah, that would be a bit harder,

Me to, Ive also used a large screw driver, just knock the handle of so itll chuck in a drill and insert the blade into a 18mm, 3/8 drive socket to turn the shaft.

turbo addict

Go get a garden pump chem sprayer , cut the sprayer wand off ,put a valve on the hose and fitting to tap on the oil sending unit hole , fill the bottle with oil pump it up , open the valve and crank the motor over with no spark plugs in it . put the plugs and sender back in and fire it up

Hybrid booster

It's alive! It started right up after I primed it with the plugs out and HEP unplugged. I put the plugs in and connected the HEP and coil and it took right off, no smoke or leaks!

I rechecked the oil level after shut down, and it looked about a quart low? I added more and it seems ok now. Do the balance shafts hold oil, is that what happened?

Anyway I'll call the insurance tomorrow and start driving it.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Go get a garden pump chem sprayer , cut the sprayer wand off ,put a valve on the hose and fitting to tap on the oil sending unit hole , fill the bottle with oil pump it up , open the valve and crank the motor over with no spark plugs in it . put the plugs and sender back in and fire it up

Ingenious. I'm gonna steal that idea from you.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I have a spare distributor that is BARE.....i can easily get a 1/2" drill chuck on it and tighten it to the dist shaft and give it snot!!! It takes at least 30 or so seconds b4 the oil gets sucked up and primed into the complete engine......when I get 60-70 psi on the mech oil guage and can hear the oil dumping down the turbo drain, you know shes primed

turbo addict

When I did mine, I actually turned the I-shaft by hand untill oil came out of the head without the cam installed.
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

I was looking at priming my oil pump....found this thread.
    I usually have the timing belt off and turn the intermediate shaft. I did that this time and can't get the oil to prime...then pump.
    I have it all together except plugs and the timing belt.
    I DID forget to put oil or stp into the pump before installing it.

Now, I did turn the gear (using the 18mm socket and air ratchet) but won't seem to bring the oil up.
    ANY one have any ideas?
    Great stuff for great cars! Poly engine mounts and bushings at: http://www.polybushings.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast