Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's GRM ScAries!

Pat's GRM ScAries!

The Shadow is down for the count and won't make it to SDAC, which is disappointing to say the least. Time for Plan B.

Introducing...Plan B. Any questions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5922.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	498.0 KB 
ID:	24327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5923.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	509.3 KB 
ID:	24328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5924.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	24329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5925.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	506.4 KB 
ID:	24330  

Re: The Shadow is down for SDAC....time for Plan B

Woke up before the family today...made some progress. T-II radiator is in, intercooler is mounted (loosely at the moment - so no comments that it's crooked!), piping is mocked up. It's not the ideal for piping, but I'm not putting a penny into this thing. If I don't already own it, it's not going on.

I'll clean up the butcher cuts I made, weld up the pipes and the bobble strut mount this week. Then, it's onto the nitrous kit install. After that, suspension and a severe weight loss program

Name:	IMG_5929.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	525.5 KB 
ID:	24331   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5928.jpg 
Views:	320 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	24332   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5927.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	501.9 KB 
ID:	24333  

turbo addict

Hey Pat did you say you were changing your name to Tim??

Seriously, nice progress today.

Just found this while hunting for the Reliant/Supra race video...same car?

[FONT="Arial Black"]Paul[/FONT] [B][SIZE="1"]US ARMY INFANTRY VETERAN[/B] 1995 Dodge Stealth R/T White DOHC 5 speed 1994 Dodge Stealth R/T Red DOHC 5 speed 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Blue TI 5 speed (2) 1992 Dodge Daytona IROC, Red TI auto 1991 Dodge Spirit R/T, Red (project) 1989 Shelby CSX-VNT #382 1989 Dodge Shadow ES, White TI auto 1987 Daytona Shelby Z, White TII 1987 Chrysler T&C wagon, Tan TII auto 1985 Dodge Lancer ES, Bronze TI auto 1982 Wife, White[/SIZE] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by blk86trbo View Post
    Just found this while hunting for the Reliant/Supra race video...same car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=931nJleYIlY&feature=fvw

I'm positive that's it! Pretty funny....but somehow, I didn't get the two rear hubcaps.

More progress on the Scary Aries....

Last night, welded up an upper IC pipe out of left over exhaust piping from other projects past. Thankfully, I don't throw anything away.

Tonight, I fabbed (and I use that term loosely!) a lower intercooler pipe, welded up blow off valve flange and added a little bling to the mix with a polished cold air intake. That's how we roll in Rockville.

Also pulled the front bumper from the bumper cover, and test fit it all. Fits as crappy as the day it rolled off the Chrysler assembly line!

Name:	IMG_5935.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	514.5 KB 
ID:	24334   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5937.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	513.6 KB 
ID:	24335  

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    Yeah no doubt. sadly enuff my Shadow has made it to more national events (SDAC and Mopar Nats) than the Daytona Always a good time tho heck the Shadow has even won money, LOL!
    I've been dreading working on the Shadow, yet since I decided that the ScAries was going to be the one, I"ve been out there every night and enjoying it. That tells me leaving the Shadow alone for a bit is the right move.

Made some progress tonight, but not as much as I would have liked. Made a little carrier/support bracket for the long run of IC pipe and made a bung from some bar stock for the nitrous nozzle, welded that on the pipe. At that point, ran out of welding wire and decided a Yeungling was the next logical step. That ended my work for the night.

The heart of the ScAries fired up today and sounds sweet.

Since I've been throwing out little teasers about what you guys can expect from this beast, here's a shot to give you a hint...I bet it will be the only one at SDAC with this particular mod.

We even modified an emblem to give a little hint unsuspecting victims who line up against it.

Name:	IMG_6001.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	507.7 KB 
ID:	24336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6006.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	490.4 KB 
ID:	24337  

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    Nice man! Are you running a common block? Or lightweight motor?
    Non common block, shotpeened T-II rods with ARP's (from FWD), .020 cast Mahles, cast crank.

Mounted up the nitrous solenoids on a goofy bracket, wired most if it up, tested and it all works. Need to mount the wot switch and run an arming switch and button into the car. Other than a holesaw blade, I still haven't bought anything...this thing is cheap as cheap can get.

If it runs well, I might neaten it up and paint it and make it a $2010 Challenge car. I think that by Challenge budgeting (stuff on it, parts cars, parts sold), I'd only be in about $6-700 in it at this point, including used slicks and old Hoosiers for autocrossing. I could go for the $1,000 class.

Quote Originally Posted by vntshadow View Post
    I do custom work. Let me know your needs.
    Will do...not sure if I'll have time to considering doing anything more than trying to make it faster.

Tonight, I plumbed up the nitrous solenoids, wired up the WOT switch on the bracket I mounted up to the throttle cable bracket and ran the wire to the interior for the armin switch. Starting to disassemble part of the dash to locate the arming switch turned into gutting the hell out of the interior, including removing the heater box, which wasn't plumbed in anyway. I bet I took well over 100 lbs all totalled out of it when you include the carpet and the sound deadening. Not bad...besides, I don't really need all those fancy K car luxuries...it's a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Photos of how you installed the intercooler?
    There are few earlier from when it was mocked up...I'll snap a few of the engine bay later this week once it's done. I'll get a shot or two of the IC and IC brackets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty_Duster View Post
    I can't wait to see this thing.
    If you can change a fuel pump, you can come down and check it out tomorrow!

Other updates...last night, I found that the brake light switch was broken. found that the plastic mount that attaches the steering column to the lower mount to the steering column was busted, allowing the column to hit that swtich. I fixed the switch, pulled the column and figured out how to fix that lower mount. Tonight I'll make up a new "bushing" to slide and clamp onto the column and hold it steady in the lower mount. It was a pain in the --- that I wasn't expecting....

Dave is pressing in new front wheel bearings today or tomorrow, which I found were shot. Hope to have the knuckles with new bearings installed, along with struts/springs, shocks and sway bars out of the Shadow, reseal the oil pan gasket and replace the fuel pump and filter this week.

I'm hoping for a few test laps of the neighborhood next week.

Thanks to the help from the SDAC - NCC guys, we made some good progress tonight. We pulled the rusty gas tank with the dying pump out of the ScAries and the dead as dead can be suspension and swapped in the stuff I had run on the Shadow for Grassroots, so I now have used Formula GP's with MP autox springs on it all around, an upgraded panhard bar and will soon have an end linked 1.25" front sway bar and a clean tank with a used Walbro pump in it (that worked fine for the Shadow, so it should be fine for this).

We threw the Koseis with Hoosier slicks on it and dropped it down on the ground to get a look at it. It looks cool as hell sitting really low with fat autox rubber on it. I can't wait to drive it!

Felt a bit odd pulling pieces off the Shadow, but the Shadow is due for a reincarnation out of it's GRM set up. She'll be back and better than ever...just not for SDAC. :-)

Just a few more things and it will be test time to what is working and what is not, which will then determine if I have time to do a turbo swap.

She moves under her own power, turns and stops just fine.

Now, time to pop the head off , pull the stock T-II turbo and throw on that nice T3 60 trim/.63 turbo I have sitting on the shelf.

Hey Sean, make sure you pack up your big jets...you're going to need 'em!

Went out the garage today, yada, yada, yada, the ScAries has a more turbo on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I worked on a turdo today for many hours in the heat and yadda yadda yadda I'm really tired tonight.
    Thanks for the help! Scottie D was a trooper today in the ridiculous heat. We pulled the head, swapped turbos, had to make a few modifications and more than a few fixes that were found along the way, managed to screw up a couple things there in the end but got it sorted out.

Just need to do a new hot side intercooler pipe, mount the bottle and tie up a few loose ends and she's done.

PS - Sean....big jets! You know you want to!

Built the hot side charge pipe to fit on the ford compressor housing. I inherited a pipe with a flange on it that came with the turbo, but it didn't fit well and it had a wicked flare from 1.75 to 2.25, which I didn't like. What I did was take a 2.25" pipe, cut a pie slice out of it long ways, then wrapped it and seam welded it to make a long cone transition, so now I have the flange and the initial bends, then a cone transition to 2.25:, then a bend under the battery tray towards the IC inlet, where it transitions up to 2.5". It's then 2.5 the rest of the way. Also made a new inlet flange for the Ford housing.

After fixing some other loose ends (leaky power steering pump was the big one), she went on her maiden voyage tonight. I took it about 3 miles...felt pretty good. Spool up with the stock top end and the .63 housing was much better than I thought it would be and at 13 psi, she was hauling pretty good. She's back in the garage for more work, but I"ll have it out to do some real tuning later in the week.

SDAC is getting closer...can't wait!

Name:	IMG_6118.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	572.8 KB 
ID:	24338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6122.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	517.2 KB 
ID:	24339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6119.jpg 
Views:	246 
Size:	502.1 KB 
ID:	24340  

Put about 10 miles on it last night and nothing fell off of it! Good news. It's loud, bumpy, rattles, ugly and obnoxious. I like it.

There is a ton of traffic near me, so I didn't get too much of a chance to lay into it much, but at 15 psi it feels pretty good. Spool up is OK, power is very linear and seemed to pull nicely. It's faster than my stock Spirit R/T, but definitely slower than the Shadow. I have a goal in mind for what I'd like to run with it, but we'll see. It has the potential to run the number, but no tuning time makes for a big mystery as to how it will do.

Still some more to do, but either way, it's going to SDAC. Look for a white Dakota Quad Cab with a blue POS hanging off the back of it on a dolly. :-)

See everyone up there!

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

Re: Pay's GRM ScAries!

Update posts copied from old thread into new P-Log

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Re: Pat's GRM ScAries!

What FMIC is that?
    I want one just like it LMAO!
    Looks like a great little project.

Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast