Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's GRM ScAries!

turbo addict

Re: Pat's GRM ScAries!

He's got to have it ready for 75/80 this Saturday! Hurry up Pat!

Not my video, but just found one. She looks nice and smooth going down the track.

A ton of videos...most of the ScAries, but we did get a few others also.

First pass - easy shakedown

Best MPH:

Best ET...probabably would have been better. She broke up towards the end of the run.

Barry tearing up the auto x

Here are a few others...the red Miata and the white Jeep are Team External Combustion. One of the guys is on this board (SilverFleet) and is also a CSX owner.

This E30 done by Condor Speed shop was my favorite car there. Looked amazing, ran a 12.38 at the drags and was blazing on the autox. This run was the only one I had. Wait till the end...it's a fun one! :-)

And a little V8 old school love...

Lastly one of the three fun runs I ran at the end of the day. Autocrossing is a freaking blast!

Hybrid booster

that car has gotta be fun on a backroad

Hybrid booster

Yea I'm also on Team External Combustion.

The Miata placed 7th overall and the Jeep 15th. I had wished we had finished the turbo install on the jeep before the autocross. bone stock 4.0L it ran a 34.8.

I also got one video of your car. Kinda crappy quality from my phone.

Just the jeep

The Jeep followed by the miata

And your ScAries

still waiting for link

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

So how did you guys feel about the autox course? It kinda looked like a 'power' course vs technical.

Also, is the jeep an auto? kinda sounds like it in the autox vid.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

turbo addict

Got a link to a build thread/site for the jeep?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    So how did you guys feel about the autox course? It kinda looked like a 'power' course vs technical.

Also, is the jeep an auto? kinda sounds like it in the autox vid.

By technical, do you mean slow?

Kidding aside, it was a fun course...very fast with a few tight turns, a few tight spots and a really long sweeper with a hard kink in the middle of it. I don't think it was any less technical than a slow, tight course. It was larger, but you were going a hell of a lot faster when you had to hit your marks and it put much more of an emphasis on having good brakes. I liked it.

Mitsu booster

Had alot of fun!!! Nice vids!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tizz102 View Post
    Had alot of fun!!! Nice vids!!
    Nice camera work!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

By technical, do you mean slow?

Kidding aside, it was a fun course...very fast with a few tight turns, a few tight spots and a really long sweeper with a hard kink in the middle of it. I don't think it was any less technical than a slow, tight course. It was larger, but you were going a hell of a lot faster when you had to hit your marks and it put much more of an emphasis on having good brakes. I liked it.
    I see it gave people a lot of chances to get going too fast.. which takes skill to resist i would say.

Seemed like pretty much everyone was running out of gear and just coasting at the end of the 1st slalom. Also, NOBODY made it around that first cone to enter the slalom very well, from what i saw. Kinda like the first 50 feet was just pointless. I think there was a lot of time to be made or lost by how late and how hard people were braking at the end of the long sweeper.

Im not saying it was bad, just looking for feedback which i got.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I see it gave people a lot of chances to get going too fast.. which takes skill to resist i would say.

Seemed like pretty much everyone was running out of gear and just coasting at the end of the 1st slalom. Also, NOBODY made it around that first cone to enter the slalom very well, from what i saw. Kinda like the first 50 feet was just pointless. I think there was a lot of time to be made or lost by how late and how hard people were braking at the end of the long sweeper.

Im not saying it was bad, just looking for feedback which i got.
    You're right on all counts...the first corner was tough, braking points were critical. If you want to see what not to do, watch my fun runs! LOL!

I was making a bit of a joke b/c I heard a few complaints while I was down there that it was too fast of a course.

But, all in all, it was a very fun course. I haven't done too many, but it was the most fun course I've ever run.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    Got a link to a build thread/site for the jeep?
    http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...d/27247/page1/

Pulled the head last night to get a look at the hung up valve. It was stuck in the guide...as were the other three. We had to use an old valve to pound the stuck valve out of the guide from the top. All four exhaust valves and guides are severely galled and need to be replaced.

So much for having the head gone through before GRM to make sure it was reliable. Apparently, they forgot to hone/ream to set the clearance for the new guides that went in.

Crap.

...on your color TV screen... Turbo Mopar Contributor Reeves's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Pulled the head last night to get a look at the hung up valve. It was stuck in the guide...as were the other three. We had to use an old valve to pound the stuck valve out of the guide from the top. All four exhaust valves and guides are severely galled and need to be replaced.

So much for having the head gone through before GRM to make sure it was reliable. Apparently, they forgot to hone/ream to set the clearance for the new guides that went in.

Crap.
    Free fix then?

James Reeves - Reeves Racing
    World's Fastest 8 Valve - 146.88 mph
    86 GLH-T 9.99 at 143.78 mph
    86 GLHS #169 Mom's - complete Super 60 car
    87 Shelby Z 14.16 Dad's - mostly stock, no sh*t!
    88 Shelby Z 13.5 - been in storage for 15 years
    03 SRT-4 12.24 Mom's
    07 Charger 5.7L 12.48 Dad's

Quote Originally Posted by Reeves View Post
    Free fix then?
    Working on that now. Labor yes, but I want them to cover parts, which I'm still working on with them.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Love the 2nd drag racing vid, the announcer goes, "here is a Chrysler Aries, or Dodge Dynasty, or some other piece of crap K car they managed to build"

Road course looked fun. How do you guys figure out where to go, I'd miss half the track, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post

Crap.
    Should be 100% free, my machine shop would have covered that if they messed up.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hey Pat!

Congrats on your 4th place finish.

I know this is an old thread, but I am just glad to see my old car ended up in good hands. I really wish I could have given the car the proper attention it needed and finished it up properly before I sold it to Greg, but ultimately I would have never been able to take it as far as you have!

You did an awesome job, and I really enjoyed looking through all the pictures and updates.

Quote Originally Posted by mpboost View Post
    Hey Pat!

Congrats on your 4th place finish.

I know this is an old thread, but I am just glad to see my old car ended up in good hands. I really wish I could have given the car the proper attention it needed and finished it up properly before I sold it to Greg, but ultimately I would have never been able to take it as far as you have!

You did an awesome job, and I really enjoyed looking through all the pictures and updates.

Thanks! Yes, I bought it from Greg. He briefly drove it, but it popped a freeze plug out of block at some point and he gave up on it. I picked it up from he, crossed my fingers that the block wasn't cracked and started messing with it from there. It's been a fun car. I have the head back from the machine shop. I just need to reassemble before the spring. I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit more this year.

Thanks for the note!
    Last edited by Pat; 01-12-2011 at 07:10 AM.

I couldn't bring myself to put it back together the way it was....mock up head is on to figure out a TBI header and big plenum intake.

I bought an upper 2 pc flange, and made the plenum out of a 4" diameter aluminum driveshaft Dave managed to scavenge and some pieces of the box truck door I used to make the end tanks for the triple core intercooler that I ran in the Shadow at it's last GRM outing. So far, it's coming out pretty good, particularly since I weld aluminum with a spool gun/MIG.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake parts.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	302.2 KB 
ID:	28497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake 3.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	398.7 KB 
ID:	28498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake 2.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	28499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake 1.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	28500