Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 86 Lancer project log

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Cool 86 Lancer project log

just picked up an 86 Lancer ES 2day

the car is in very decent shapy body wise. just needs some interior work, along with a motor/trans....heres a few shots of what I am starting off with here...

its going to get swapped to 5 spd, and most likely end up being a semi modded 2.5 L with the usual bolt ons. I guess alot of parts are interchangable between the lancer and daytona, so im hoping to pick up some sort of parts car to find most of the stuff i need, like a set of entusiasts seats, drivetrain, gas tank, shelby suspension....yada yada...

will post pics as I progress but I doubt much will get accomplished in the next few weeks since I dont have much to work with at the moment. I guess I will start porting a head/intake/exhaust manny for the time being

let me know what you think! ive always been a fan of theses cars so im quite happy I was able to find one locally in such good shape

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Re: 86 Lancer project log

I'm in! I love the Shelby Lancers, had a couple of them. Actually I still have a bunch of parts. Couple steering wheels

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Thumbs up Re: 86 Lancer project log

Nice start , G to H body parts almost all will fit. But I have NO love for the wheels , Keep looking.

And please keep us updated.

Good luck Paul B

turbo addict

Z24 wheels ewwww!

car looks alright.
    1988 Lancer Shelby 2.2TII 1989 Shadow ES 2.5TI 1992 Lebaron Sedan 3.0Auto 1993 Acclaim 2.5TI-A520 Hoard parts now!

I kinda like the wheels... maybe thats just me. Are you gonna keep the back seats or are you gonna go with Daytona back buckets aswell? Looks like a solid platform for a great project

turbo addict

Sweet looking project!

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    I kinda like the wheels... maybe thats just me. Are you gonna keep the back seats or are you gonna go with Daytona back buckets aswell? Looks like a solid platform for a great project
    That works

turbo addict

Great now i have to compete with you as well for the fastest H body.
    Looks like a great project

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    Great now i have to compete with you as well for the fastest H body.
    Looks like a great project
    LOL judging by your status id have to swap my L body drivetrain into the H body

but you dont have to worry

just lookin for a nice DD car to roll around in since my cloud car took a crap on me.....altho this could be a perfect time to make use of that 2.4 DOHC head in my garage

but thats pretty much out of the question unless I happen to wait around to save up some $$$ and grab a pre built 2.5 dohc hybrid

the rims are just temporary. they have pretty much brand new winter tires on them....id like to find another set of SRT rims or some PT's in da chrome!

and Alan, id def be interested in one of them steering wheels

turbo addict

I like the idea of a 2.5 hybrid auto that would be seat and i only one i know of.
    Mike Mills is the fast h body i know of and thats were i got my cross hairs on for the moment but that can always change.
    For my LS the car is over wheight due to the moblie sound chamber installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmesich View Post
    Sweet looking project!

That works
    Not as a bolt in. Would need a little fab work. Aint too hard.

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Not as a bolt in. Would need a little fab work. Aint too hard.
    more info on this!!

Quote Originally Posted by bakes View Post
    I like the idea of a 2.5 hybrid auto that would be seat and i only one i know of.
    Mike Mills is the fast h body i know of and thats were i got my cross hairs on for the moment but that can always change.
    For my LS the car is over wheight due to the moblie sound chamber installed.
    oh nice ya i love his car....not sure what it ran...thought it was high or mid 12?

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I think those wheels look surprisingly good on there.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

now taking opinions on drivetrain setup!!

lets here what u got 2 think...shes quite heavy so im aiming towards the 2.5 after seeing a recent dyno plot with butch's setup.....i can also find an auto trans with MP shift kit and 3K stall tq converter....altho I do have a small spline 3.50 with a centerforce clutch/pp that would work nice

car is currently setup for auto...its pretty much a base version, power nothing....so i have a feeling i could keep this car under 2800 pounds with a 5spd

edit: also thining of resale value...not towards a stock value but more towards a TM member!!! lol....pretty sure the 5 spd would sell faster??? 4 dr family car with some european styling and ballls!!

I think the 5spd would sell faster but thats just an opinion, and if i was buying someone else's 5spd swap id sure like if they made the area around the shifter look good, like having some kind of trim bezel and shifter boot, not just a hole in an auto console with a shifter coming out of it. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    I think the 5spd would sell faster but thats just an opinion, and if i was buying someone else's 5spd swap id sure like if they made the area around the shifter look good, like having some kind of trim bezel and shifter boot, not just a hole in an auto console with a shifter coming out of it. hehe.
    yes, i got a 5 spd lancer shelby on the line, that is rusted out...still need 2 get back in touch with the owner...it has everything i need to make this pre 87 e test car a nice clone!!!

leather n all

maybe i should call 2night....lol..if not i was thinking of a daytona entusiasts swap! personally would like a 2.2 G head car but the 2.5 is much easier to find around here....

edig : PS the 5 spd is also much more fun!!! lol....the auto is cheap but i have a few manuals kickin around here, so why spend $$$ right?

Yeh the auto is cheap but its also always an unknown quantity for the buyer.. i.e. what internals does it have, what kind of shape is it in, how much power can it take, etc..

As a buyer, all you can do is take the PO's word on it and check the fluid on the dipstick and drive it.. but you still never know whether it's gonna ---- the bed in 3 weeks. Autos do just randomly break. I broke a shaft in a 670 just rolling out hard from a stop in a stock 3.0 van. Everything else was fine!

With the manual what you see is pretty much what you get. If its got fluid in it and it drives right, 90% chance its completely fine! They're way more reliable, more fun to drive, and get like 30% better mpg!

k im convinced. since its here and saves me an additional $100 lol!! should be faster too, at the level i plan to build it at....

5 speed all the way.
    Auto can get so.... boring... atleast in almost stock form.

well after trying to head out friday night unsuccessfully to go and get some parts, they should be on their way here 2morrow morning

ill get some pics of the goodies after they are in my possession! even something nice for the 87 SC...looks like there may be some parts swapping going on in the near future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast