Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what shouldn't have beat you?

turbo addict

So what shouldn't have beat you?

As I was driving to the parts store today I drove past a silver pickup, and it got me thinking. Post the car/truck that beat you that shouldn't have and the story that goes along with it. Turbo Geo's, lifted pickups, ratty civics. The ones that you thought would be easy . A mod list on your car would be great to!

Little info on my car... 88 turbo shadow es, 88 turbo 2 motor, 88 555, 3inch exhaust, small FMIC and enough fuel for 20psi. Ran 14.0's@100mph at the time.

So I am at the young age of 20, driving to college. The first half of my commute was back roads, the second half freeway. I was about half way to the free way when a lowered, silver 96ish dodge dually with a cowl hood pulls out in behind me. I grinned. It was the local diesel shops, shop truck. I had heard it was FAST for a truck. So I slowed down, and tried to get the guy to play and he would not bite. My thought was that he figured I didn't have cruise from all the slowing down and speeding up I was doing. lol. My shadow did not look fast. He followed me through the little town that was before the freeway. I got to the on ramp and had kind of gave up on a race. Halfway up the on ramp I look in the rear view and see the truck, SIDEWAYs with so much BLACK SMOKE you couldn't see behind it! It was on!

I matted it and dropped a gear. I had 100 yards or so on him. The on ramp met a hill, so as you were getting on the freeway, you were going up hill. The hill went on for another 1/4 mile once you were on the freeway. So back to the story, I go to merge and there is a semi truck on the inside lane doing 40mph so I go for the outer lane and still have it just WIDE OPEN. The truck is gaining on me! WTH? As we crest the hill the guy is 5 feet of my back bumper and I am coming into traffic so I slow down. He caught me, but he had to work at it! I got around the traffic and moved to the inside lane. The guy pulled up next to me in the truck, grinning ear to ear. Gave me a thumbs up and motioned to go again. I shook my head, I had taken enough risks this morning! I think my little shadow surprised him and much as his truck had surprised me!

But I saw the truck on the way to the parts store today, all shined up sitting in a parking lot. I seriously thought about stopping and asking the owner if he remembered my little what shadow. But the CSX I was driving was not up the challenge if he wanted to go again...

ohh yea... this all occurred on a closed course, that looked like a freeway

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

Re: So what shouldn't have beat you?

Love it! Power-oversteer in a dually, going STRAIGHT, is the SHIZNIT.

Only races i can think of where i got beat that actually surprised me were in slow cars...

I.e. one time a quad-4 grand am beat my dynasty.

Another time a dodge monaco held off the dynasty, didnt really beat it.

But thats vs stock 3.3, trapped ~84mph on a good day. Everything else ive raced, nothing unexpected happened, unless you count the other people not expecting it .. i guess i really only try to go for the ones i know will be close.

Great story, though!

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Hybrid booster

when i had my sc back in 95 i was driving it on the xway and some homey in his maxima waa trying to pace me. i hate it when cars pace me. so i accelerate from 55 to 65, and hes playing catch up, so, finally i downshift and hold the gear, i hear him punch it and his auto downshifts, so i take off like 4 car lengths, then i decide to just keep going, so i get to about 115 and my little sc runs out of steam, it was totally stock. then the smug bastard in the maxima creeps by me ever so slowly and waves... even to this day i hate maximas.

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Nissan GTR, I should have got him, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
    Love it! Power-oversteer in a dually, going STRAIGHT, is the SHIZNIT.

Only races i can think of where i got beat that actually surprised me were in slow cars...

I.e. one time a quad-4 grand am beat my dynasty.

Another time a dodge monaco held off the dynasty, didnt really beat it.

But thats vs stock 3.3, trapped ~84mph on a good day. Everything else ive raced, nothing unexpected happened, unless you count the other people not expecting it .. i guess i really only try to go for the ones i know will be close.

Great story, though!
    A Quad 4 better beat you,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

2010 Taurus SHO. Fresh from the track and used to launching with slicks, so I went too agressively off the line for 20 psi and street tires. Spun horribly and watched the AWD SHO's taillights get smaller. Got pissed and stayed in it repaving the road for 2 gears. Lost by a car and a half. Probably could have gained back the lost ground had I not lost my temper.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

boostaholic

Back when I had my old '88 C/S Daytona I was driving home and came across a guy in a Saturn SL2 driving fast and taking off from lights like a bat out of hell.

My Daytona was on 18 pounds, Mitsu turbo and NO intercooler with a map bleed. The Saturn and I get a light together on the main drag. The light turns green and I roll out in 1st and mash it. Instant tire smoke...shift to 2nd, more tire smoke and I peddle it a little...then, once it hooks I immediately hit overboost brick wall and the car bucks like crazy. I shift to 3rd and the tires start to go all smokey again, so I peddle it a little and gain traction, then WHAM: overboost again.
    Meanwhile the Saturn is buzzing happily away from my horrible mess of driving calamity.

Turns out I had the MAP bleed right on the edge, and any slight boost creep would induce overboost. Even now, every time I see a Saturn, some little twinge in the back of my mind makes me worry he will smoke me somehow.

Hybrid booster

98 Toyota Camry....yes you read that right....

Kid pulled up next to me on a nice 2 lane road as i was cruising at about 30. As he pulled up next to me i hear the throttle go wide open (barely...it was a Camry...and my stereo is LOUD), so being the smug bastard i was, i waited a min to let him get ahead and proceed to punch it. As i'm hitting the top of 3rd gear, i've already made up what little distance he built and am sitting right next to him. Over-confident, i push the clutch down, shift the car, and release....only to have the nose dip down, and the RPM's scream out of control.

Somehow, i hit 2nd instead of 4th. To this day i have no idea how. Right after this happened the light up the road turned red, so i just coasted to it. When it switched green i blasted out of the hole and didn't stop for anything, i had about 8 cars on him before he got through the intersection.....but the damage was already done. My passenger still makes fun of me to this day for "losing" to a Camry....

2.5, intercooled with a 46 trim turbo (17 lbs of boost at the time). +40’s and a 3 bar map…with consistent issues since the day I put the new computer into it…but F it, I beat it anyways…..

turbo addict

So the first car I lost to that I thought I shouldnt have was an Omni GLHS. Yep......I was driving an 88 Formula 350 Firebird that had some mild work done to it....cam, headers, roller rockers, etc. The car ran high 13's on drag radials. This was about 10-12 yrs ago. We were down on "The Boulevard" where everyone used to race on friday and sat nights in Syracuse. I lined up at the light to this little Omni and thought "what the heck is this piece of shiz?" I proceeded to jump on him by about a car length and the next thing I knew I was looking at his license plate. I read...."1Fast4Door" and the rest was history.......

The next time I lost was to some dude in some 4 door sedan....I want to say a taurus. And this is years later after I had finally seen the light so I was driving my 87 Omni with a T2 conversion...trapped 103. I was sitting at the light in one of those two lane jobbers where the right lane merges into the left about a few hundred feet past the light. Im sitting in the straight lane with about 6 cars behind me and this tool pulls up along side of me in the right lane that is supposed to be merging ahead. So, right away, I know what he is thinking and I wasnt about to let that happen because I was driving an even bigger crap box than he. So the light turns and I punch it....as soon as he knows I am running for it, he punches it. I am just DESTROYING the tires through the first two gears and staying about a half car length in front until I short shift to third to stop the wheel spin and BOOOOOOM!!! All I see is smoke pouring out from my hood. I hang my head in shame as I coast off the road to discover I launched a rod through the block. Dang light weight rods.....

Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    , so i get to about 115 and my little sc runs out of steam, it was totally stock.
    Fixed that for you! Now it turns 103 in the quarter......not too shabby for a turd.

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

raced an integra type R too 115ish mph down a street that was limited to 40mph LOL

i took it easy on the 1st gear launch otherwise i woulda left a few car lengths right off the bat (which I shoudl have done) i didnt think the integra wanted any until the VTEC kicked in when I was already revvin pretty high in first....we hung SIDE BY SIDE all the way until the top of 4th gear, when my little 3.0 5spd duster died off and was forced to shift into 5th, this is when the teg started to slowly walk away.

we blew through a few red lights, came up to another (after i knew we were going fast enuff) and had to hit the brakes HARD. the integra flew through the red light and made a left turn. so as I am sitting in the far right lane, a police vehicle comes FLYING up from behind me and rips through the corner after the integra.

i dont know if they ever caught him or what happened but soon as I seen the 5 oh I peaced out back home because i wasnt taking any chances lol

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    raced an integra type R too 115ish mph down a street that was limited to 40mph LOL

i took it easy on the 1st gear launch otherwise i woulda left a few car lengths right off the bat (which I shoudl have done) i didnt think the integra wanted any until the VTEC kicked in when I was already revvin pretty high in first....we hung SIDE BY SIDE all the way until the top of 4th gear, when my little 3.0 5spd duster died off and was forced to shift into 5th, this is when the teg started to slowly walk away.

we blew through a few red lights, came up to another (after i knew we were going fast enuff) and had to hit the brakes HARD. the integra flew through the red light and made a left turn. so as I am sitting in the far right lane, a police vehicle comes FLYING up from behind me and rips through the corner after the integra.

i dont know if they ever caught him or what happened but soon as I seen the 5 oh I peaced out back home because i wasnt taking any chances lol

Does this have anything to do with this:

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    if I had a license! lol

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

It was a round 2 of the Q16 at SDAC20. A red Dodge Shadow with fender flares.

I should have PWN3D him.

Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by prepared View Post
    Does this have anything to do with this:

actually nope, but nice to know someone is keepin tabs on me

that was like 7-8 years ago.....i recently lost my license
    I just happened to have had a few drinks when the passenger side control arm in my cloud car; decided to let go and steer me into a parked vehicle...thankfully there was a police car right there ...just my luck eh!

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    It was a round 2 of the Q16 at SDAC20. A red Dodge Shadow with fender flares.

I should have PWN3D him.

That had to be embarassing!!!

boostaholic

Hmm nope... but I'm pretty sure every car I've ever beaten has thought that they shouldn't have lost to mine.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by SebringLX View Post
    Hmm nope... but I'm pretty sure every car I've ever beaten has thought that they shouldn't have lost to mine.
    Thats why I thought this would be a interesting thread!

another one....

Years ago I was driving the same shadow, been cruising the strip and was headed home. Pulled up to a light next to one of those civic si hatches, the new ones like a 03 or 04. I figured I had this, and my buddy was giving me crap to race him. So the light goes green, and I launch the car. It doesn't really move! Short shift second, still not moving... and he is leaving me. By the time I get up to the speed limit, he is gone! Damn 90k cooper tires do not hook! Took me a while to live that one down! I lost it due to traction 100%. I didn't go out looking for trouble without my drag radials after that!

Another good one. My Buddy's got a 89 rx7 turbo. Minor mods but it was a pretty fast car. Ran high 13's at the time on street tires, and pulled like CRAZY up top. We were headed back to my house on the freeway and were almost at my exit. This accord 2 door with a full body kit and a fart cannon pulls up next to use. I give my buddy a hard time tell he races him (see a trend? same buddy... lol). He somehow misses his downshift and the guy walks us. We are almost to the exit we need and I agg my buddy on some more that guy in the accord is gonna tell people he beat him. So we miss the exit and line up again. This time he nails the down shift and doesn't lift. I look over and we are doing a buck 50 on the freeway! He held it there until the next exit. We were FLYING! I had never gone that fast in a car for that long. The guy in the accord stayed in it for a while, but he quickly lost ground. Lots of it! My buddy turned to me once he braked and said "is he gonna tell people he beat me now!!!? Ahh... to be young, dumb, and having nothing to loose but our lives again... I miss those days!

A Quad 4 better beat you,
    He beat me a lot better than the Celica GT-S 6spd i raced a little later. lol. That one was funny cuz i knew the guy and he was really frustrated with his car after that.

One of my best lines was after racing a 6.0 Denali (yes, its true) and pulling up at the next light, he says "hey, thats a quick little car", i say "thanks, does that thing have the 340hp 6 liter?" He says yeah, how many horsepower does yours have?"... "150".

Garrett booster

I had my fairly stock '89 Daytona Shelby back in the late 90's on a local cruise strip and kept running across a (then) new hunter green Acura Integra with VTEC written all over it. We never quite managed to hit a light or be on the same side of the median on most nights, so one night after chewing up and spitting out a few traction-less 5.0's, we finally lined up. Nice tight launch, tires grabbed nicely and I pulled away until I look over and he's inching up on me, his engine screaming, so I practically put my foot through the floor. All I could manage was to keep even up to about 80 or so when we both shut it down.

We raced a few times after that at various spots around town but the outcome was always similar. He wasn't rice and he kept the car in good shape and stock like I did my car, but I always thought I should have walked him. I ran into him a few times in court for racing and had to laugh when he used the "my clutch slipped" excuse to various judges on a few occasions. Good times.

A mostly stock t2 daytona isnt any faster than a stock Gsr.. so sounds like what happened to you was perfectly normal.

Whats funny is the thought of the Gsr beating the 5.0s you mentioned. lol @ the 5.0s.

turbo addict

Ages ago (92 maybe?) I raced a Grand Am Turbo from a dead stop at the local drag spot. The story goes:

He was on the local cruise strip revving the hell out of the car. I'm talking the almost flat back windowed Grand Am's of the late 80's to early 90's? I remember looking over and thinking "Hmmm Quad 4" but nope it was 2.0 turbo I think? Anyway...I was in my bone stock (sans K&N panel filter) 86 Shelby Charger.

When the guy kept revving I finally revved back...he pulled up with his buddy and asked if I "wanted to go" and I said "sure". We go out to the local spot and go from a dig. He just killed the tires out of the hole. I hole shotted the hell out of the dude and put at least 2 or 3 cars on him instantly. I had him by the 1/4 but I stayed in it. Once he finally caught traction he just kept gaining on me. Finally the guy just convincingly drove around me...pretty embarrassing really.

I also ran a 5.0 Mustang GT that was all stock. Both cars ran me about the same. To this day I'm pretty sure something was up with that Grand Am. Still loved my car though.

A few days ago…

I bought my Omni its a slow 2.2, carb, 4 door, 5 speed, and I happen to pull up next to a dark red K wagon at a light he revs a little. So I say to myself “he’s got a auto and a tbi and wagons have to be weigh more than omnis I should have this!” I bite and rev back, light turns green and we both go it was kinda close for a little with him in front. Then he just walks my omni I was left sitting there wondering why I just got killed by what sounded and looked like a stock wagon...... life sucks now.

You know what makes all this worse the guy that owns that wagon is most likely reading this and peeing himself>.>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast