Thread: Who does 2 Piece IM porting?

Hybrid View

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Who does 2 Piece IM porting?

I was wondering if anyone did this on the site?

Thanks

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

Re: Who does 2 Piece IM porting?

"tylervanlant" "moparzrules" "TU" "FWD Performance" and not sure if Brian Slowe does it too.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

turbo addict

Tvanlant is his screen name. Moparrulzs or however you spell it and TU are the same thing.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

I emailed Tyler (haven't heard back yet) and TU doesn't have the IM on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    I emailed Tyler (haven't heard back yet) and TU doesn't have the IM on their website.
    You can reach us at chris@turbosunleashed.com or PM us here.

Chris-TU
    Chris Wright www.TurbosUnleashed.com Chris@TurbosUnleashed.com 602-76-BOOST Tech/Sales#: Monday-Saturday 9AM-7PM MST Proudly Serving the Turbo-Mopar Community since 1997 TU is a performance, not marketing company. We provide accurate performance data on all our performance products. Fabricating data to make us appear better is just not our style. Do the research before you buy. ROCK BOTTOM PRICES WITHOUT THE HIDDEN HANDLING FEES.... -----HOME OF THE 9 SECOND FWD T-M CLUTCH-----

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

I can port........and have lots of free time..........
    im sure you can dig up my old intake thread...LMK!!! could work cash or trade deal

turbo addict

The Pope did this for me:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0781.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	24238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0782.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	24239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0783.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	24240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	24241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake2.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	24242   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake3.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	399.1 KB 
ID:	24243  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	intake4.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	272.8 KB 
ID:	24244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Intake5.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	24245  

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by badandy View Post
    The Pope did this for me:
    Was there anything done to it?
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

turbo addict

no, that's the way they look stock.

turbo addict

Laugh all you want...results are results. Fact is he did a hell of a great job for a VERY fair price.

Laugh all you want...results are results. Fact is he did a hell of a great job for a VERY fair price.
    What were the results?

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Directconnection View Post
    What were the results?
    I would show you but I'm having problems converting the pictures to brail for you

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I would show you but I'm having problems converting the pictures to brail for you
    I think he was looking for data not pictures?

Is your car running!? How'd I miss this!? Sweet!

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

I don't quite understand the "brail" thing. Is it: A) the porter was Ray Charles... hence the brail comment B) the lumpy runner shot resembles brail?

Ok.... I'll stop with the jovial fawking around now

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red

Quote Originally Posted by omni_840 View Post
    I was wondering if anyone did this on the site?

Thanks
    OhioRob, ported out my 2 piece. Came out great.

Chuck

turbo addict

The pope ported my lower piece too. The car had scary fast instant throttle response.

Hybrid booster

Intake flow isn't realized on the stock heads, when you flow the 1 piece and a 2 piece there is almost no difference at all. Then start porting the head and things change greatly. The head flow will push the intakes harder, but they stall out. The 2 piece out right is only good for another 10 CFM per hole, which makes it flow with a G head. The 1 piece is not able to past a stock G head flow bolted to a big valve head...

A 1 piece starts out stock head and intake, 122 CFM, then on a big valve ported or not the 1 piece can't get over 140 CFM.

A 2 piece is at 125 CFM on the 782 and climbs to 150 on a ported head. Then when you port the whole thing it climbs to 166 with a ported stock plenum, vs 140 for a ported 1 piece. Then you hog the runners to the gasket and add a plenum and it climbs to 175. Some would say shorter runners and 35 CFM per hole is a nice increase bolting them to the same head for testing. I also tested a ported 2 piece with and without the ported factory plenum and there was a 2 CFM loss. Plenum's allow you to go past the normal runner size for more flow.

There are more physics involved to the ported intake than what you read only about polishing like some would lead you to believe. These intakes are dry intakes, there isn't a lack of atomization from polishing. On the 906 heads I gain 20 CFM from total polishing but went back to a sanded finish because of the wet intake. It isn't the same world with a MPI and boost and a dry intake. Then comes runner length, what changes is the vac to the intake valve is made longer and more stable by sucking through an intercooler in the normal IC equipped turbo car. When you hit the gas there is no vac stumble like an NA. Air has friction loss and the mass and weight accelerates faster in the runners with less turbulence and friction, helping throttle response. With a good head with more low lift and average flow your able to use more air more quickly. The shorter runner plenum intakes with a 58mm TB have more throttle response than a stock intake and TB. With an NA a 14" runner creates a 6,000 RPM power band with a normal size plenum. In a boosted car long runners and small plenum's create stacking that lowers RPM range.

On porting the pinch point where most flow is in the 2 piece is under the injectors. Enlarging the rest and polishing the rest adds velocity but the largest chunk of flow increase is the pinch point. You can remove the bumps in most 2 piece intakes without going through. However there is a casting difference with them, I haven't checked it though dates so I don't know if it is an early issue or a late one. I've done a lot of 2 piece intakes and I've found that some have a larger ID than others making the "bumps" longer and taller. These few are thinner and you can go through them porting pretty easy. But most of the time you can safely remove the bumps. The hardest part to port is the ceiling of the runners. Your in there a ways sanding and the mandrels bend that long pretty easy. I shape the runners, then sand them completely with 80 grit, then 120, then I polish them and they look great.

Today you can buy lifters that hold the followers on the cam lobes, the PTs. You can buy springs like the beehives made to deal with the harmonics of a 1.89 rocker ratio. You can buy and build an intake with shorter runners and the right amount of plenum volume. Now big cams with the extra cylinder pressure the intakes add work. Yet still today there are people here that think a better induction system on forced induction engine isn't that important......

Hybrid booster

Intake flow isn't realized on the stock heads, when you flow the 1 piece and a 2 piece there is almost no difference at all. Then start porting the head and things change greatly. The head flow will push the intakes harder, but they stall out. The 2 piece out right is only good for another 10 CFM per hole, which makes it flow with a G head. The 1 piece is not able to past a stock G head flow bolted to a big valve head...

A 1 piece starts out stock head and intake, 122 CFM, then on a big valve ported or not the 1 piece can't get over 140 CFM.

A 2 piece is at 125 CFM on the 782 and climbs to 150 on a ported head. Then when you port the whole thing it climbs to 166 with a ported stock plenum, vs 140 for a ported 1 piece. Then you hog the runners to the gasket and add a plenum and it climbs to 175. Some would say shorter runners and 35 CFM per hole is a nice increase bolting them to the same head for testing. I also tested a ported 2 piece with and without the ported factory plenum and there was a 2 CFM loss. Plenum's allow you to go past the normal runner size for more flow.

There are more physics involved to the ported intake than what you read only about polishing like some would lead you to believe. These intakes are dry intakes, there isn't a lack of atomization from polishing. On the 906 heads I gain 20 CFM from total polishing but went back to a sanded finish because of the wet intake. It isn't the same world with a MPI and boost and a dry intake. Then comes runner length, what changes is the vac to the intake valve is made longer and more stable by sucking through an intercooler in the normal IC equipped turbo car. When you hit the gas there is no vac stumble like an NA. Air has friction loss and the mass and weight accelerates faster in the runners with less turbulence and friction, helping throttle response. With a good head with more low lift and average flow your able to use more air more quickly. The shorter runner plenum intakes with a 58mm TB have more throttle response than a stock intake and TB. With an NA a 14" runner creates a 6,000 RPM power band with a normal size plenum. In a boosted car long runners and small plenum's create stacking that lowers RPM range.

On porting the pinch point where most flow is in the 2 piece is under the injectors. Enlarging the rest and polishing the rest adds velocity but the largest chunk of flow increase is the pinch point. You can remove the bumps in most 2 piece intakes without going through. However there is a casting difference with them, I haven't checked it though dates so I don't know if it is an early issue or a late one. I've done a lot of 2 piece intakes and I've found that some have a larger ID than others making the "bumps" longer and taller. These few are thinner and you can go through them porting pretty easy. But most of the time you can safely remove the bumps. The hardest part to port is the ceiling of the runners. Your in there a ways sanding and the mandrels bend that long pretty easy. I shape the runners, then sand them completely with 80 grit, then 120, then I polish them and they look great.

Today you can buy lifters that hold the followers on the cam lobes, the PTs. You can buy springs like the beehives made to deal with the harmonics of a 1.89 rocker ratio. You can buy and build an intake with shorter runners and the right amount of plenum volume. Now big cams with the extra cylinder pressure the intakes add work. Yet still today there are people here that think a better induction system on forced induction engine isn't that important......

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
    Intake flow isn't realized on the stock heads, when you flow the 1 piece and a 2 piece there is almost no difference at all. Then start porting the head and things change greatly.
    Here we go.....

So many things wrong with your posting, no time to respond to them all but a couple.

This comment is not true if you read my flowtest results. I flowed a stock head and a mildly ported head as well. Of course the gains on a 200 cfm head will be a bit more than a 140cfm head %-wise. Another thing (of the many) I must comment on was the hogging of the runner part increasing velocity. Please explain and enlighten us all....

Steve

'91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red