Thread: Stage 2 cams?

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

Stage 2 cams?

My rampage has the stage 2 cams from lonewolf. Wondering if anyone out there might be running these too?

Any info would be helpful. I have run it with the stock cam gears so that would be "straight up". After installing the adjustables straight up, my vacum went from 10in. to about 5in. A few of us played with them at SDAC, where they sit now with the intake cam at 5 degrees retarded and the exhaust cam 3 advanced.(this has overlap correct?) My vac is at 14in. now, and top end is strong,but bottom end is so-so. Also with stock gears,car went 118mph on 22psi, but with the adjstables,it only went 120mph on 27psi! Only picked up 2mph.
    Wallace, if you here,maybe you can shed some light. Or anyone else for that matter. I have no numbers for the cams, but i was told i might be going the wrong way, like adv. the intake and retard the exhaust.
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanman²'s Avatar

Re: Stage 2 cams?

I had an R/T here with Delta stage 1 cams and the best vacuum I could get out of it was 10", they were bloody awful, and I degreed them to stock specs, like they told me. Ended up putting the stockers back in, much better.

I think everyone has the same grinds, or close so I hope the stage 2 is ok. Maybe crank out the dial indicator and do some measuring.

First thing I would do is degree your cams so you know they are right and not sure if Cindy has fixed it but one cam sprocket is one tooth out, so if you line up the drill bit holes, then your out a tooth. I think exhaust cam.
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Hot Certified Christians at TD! Turbo Mopar Staff Directconnection's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    not sure if Cindy has fixed it but one cam sprocket is one tooth out, so if you line up the drill bit holes, then your out a tooth. I think exhaust cam.

Bill, I'd check into that 1st thing. Also, did you degree these cams, or are you just going by what the adjustable gears are telling you? I'd be degreeing them in and go from there....
    Quote Originally Posted by 22mopar
    have a look at my feedback on the forum. all positive.

Steve

'90 VNT competition package Shadow - T-III SC6262 conversion/restoration
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '91 Spirit R/T - white
    '92 IROC R/T - red
    '67 Barracuda 273 now, 440/727 awaits....

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor glhs727's Avatar

First thing I would do is degree your cams so you know they are right and not sure if Cindy has fixed it but one cam sprocket is one tooth out, so if you line up the drill bit holes, then your out a tooth. I think exhaust cam.
    That was with our first batch, the issue was corrected and we have done several batches since with no issues. I can't speak for Lonewolf, so it might be better to talk to Wallace directly about his cams, but I know the t-3 stage 1 cams we sell are drop in and run great! I run a set on my daytona. Our stage 2 are also pretty much drop in but do require the use of lash caps. I have no experience with delta cams, so I can;t comment on those.
    Thanks,
    Cindy
    FWD Performance is a performance shop with a significant investment in this market. We pride oursleves with a hard work ethic, friendly customer service, and honest business dealings with no hidden fees. FWD Performance, Real Race Products by Real Racers.

turbo addict

Definitely degree the cams so you know where you are starting at. I gained nearly 60 whp peak and a lot under the curve by adjusting the intake cam on the dyno. Exhaust adjustment netted me around 15 IIRC.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by glhs727 View Post
    That was with our first batch, the issue was corrected and we have done several batches since with no issues. I can't speak for Lonewolf, so it might be better to talk to Wallace directly about his cams, but I know the t-3 stage 1 cams we sell are drop in and run great! I run a set on my daytona. Our stage 2 are also pretty much drop in but do require the use of lash caps. I have no experience with delta cams, so I can;t comment on those.
    Thanks,
    Cindy
    How early is early? the one's on Wopr's engine and mine from 2 years ago are both out.

Good to know about your cams. Delta, no comment,

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    Definitely degree the cams so you know where you are starting at. I gained nearly 60 whp peak and a lot under the curve by adjusting the intake cam on the dyno. Exhaust adjustment netted me around 15 IIRC.
    Which way did you go and how much?
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Which way did you go and how much?
    I'll have to go back and use The Shop's computer and go over the notes again, but I beleive I was retarding the intake. They were degreed at Intake:121 ATDC Exhaust:104 BTDC to start with, or at least within a degree or two of those specs.
    “If the people of the nation understood our banking and monetary system, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.” -Henry Ford

Sounds good.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 30 PSI SHADOW's Avatar

I have no numbers to degree them. I can tell you it ran great with the stock gears straight up. It just had like 10 inches of vacumm.
    Bill Baker
    NESDAC Pres.
    Rutland,Vermont
    90 Shadow VNT comp 332WHP/390WTQ
    12.26@116MPH-27psi (SOLD)
    89 CSX #269 59k
    83 Rampage T3 11.78@118MPH- 22psi

Quote Originally Posted by 30 PSI SHADOW View Post
    I have no numbers to degree them. I can tell you it ran great with the stock gears straight up. It just had like 10 inches of vacumm.
    See post #7,

Any new info?

Quote Originally Posted by 86Shelby View Post
    I'll have to go back and use The Shop's computer and go over the notes again, but I beleive I was retarding the intake. They were degreed at Intake:121 ATDC Exhaust:104 BTDC to start with, or at least within a degree or two of those specs.
    Bump, heheehehhee!

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Bump for any new info also
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Turbo Joe's Avatar

I run these cams. these are NOT like Cindy's stage 2's from what i was able to learn. To keep this simple and not give away a products design out of respect for whom ever devotes time to make stuff for our small community,I will not talk about exact cam specs like duration or lift and so forth. the Lonewolf S2 cams are designed for race applications. I understand people just getting into cars my confuse what this means so I will try to help, those that understand what it means feel free to chime in if how I explain it isn't as clear as how you could explain it race only application cams usually do not work well on a street vehicle. To further understand why look up history of the V-tech, it will give you a small history lesson and the guy does a good job explaining cam profiles and what not. Cindy's S2 cams from what i was able to learn is they were designed to be more street friendly instead of all your eggs into the top end design like lonewolfs cams. Also YOU MUST DEGREE THESE CAMS !!! If you try to install them using the stock cam gears your cams will be off, you must have adjustable cam gears. So in short, I may swap to Cindy's cams someday for a more street friendly cam since my car is a street car now so the low end drive-ability would be improved along with idle vacuum , but for now I'm leaving what I have alone until I solve a few other issues I still have before I get pissed off and put a Hemi V8 in it and make it RWD.

PS: The drive ability I have is not horrible with the LW S2 cams but I do have a head that was ported by Steve Menagon , so I am positive his port work seriously helps this cam for drive ability on the street. I do wish these cams weren't so on-off powerband kind of feeling... umm kind of hard to explain, i'm not to good with wording sometimes.
    Turbo Joe
    ----------------------- 87 CSX #175 TIII powered, MegaSquirt3 Pro Ultimate, GTX3076R, Turbo Joe header, Lengel intake, Menegon ported head, the list goes on

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    but for now I'm leaving what I have alone until I solve a few other issues I still have before I get pissed off and put a Hemi V8 in it and make it RWD.

That would solve a lot of issues! 👍

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Force Fed Mopar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
    I run these cams. these are NOT like Cindy's stage 2's from what i was able to learn. To keep this simple and not give away a products design out of respect for whom ever devotes time to make stuff for our small community,I will not talk about exact cam specs like duration or lift and so forth. the Lonewolf S2 cams are designed for race applications. I understand people just getting into cars my confuse what this means so I will try to help, those that understand what it means feel free to chime in if how I explain it isn't as clear as how you could explain it race only application cams usually do not work well on a street vehicle. To further understand why look up history of the V-tech, it will give you a small history lesson and the guy does a good job explaining cam profiles and what not. Cindy's S2 cams from what i was able to learn is they were designed to be more street friendly instead of all your eggs into the top end design like lonewolfs cams. Also YOU MUST DEGREE THESE CAMS !!! If you try to install them using the stock cam gears your cams will be off, you must have adjustable cam gears. So in short, I may swap to Cindy's cams someday for a more street friendly cam since my car is a street car now so the low end drive-ability would be improved along with idle vacuum , but for now I'm leaving what I have alone until I solve a few other issues I still have before I get pissed off and put a Hemi V8 in it and make it RWD.

PS: The drive ability I have is not horrible with the LW S2 cams but I do have a head that was ported by Steve Menagon , so I am positive his port work seriously helps this cam for drive ability on the street. I do wish these cams weren't so on-off powerband kind of feeling... umm kind of hard to explain, i'm not to good with wording sometimes.
    Good info. I was working on a ported 2.2 TIII with LW Stage 1 cams, and it ran okay on stock cam gears but does feel like it could be better if adjusted. With some tuning I managed to get vacuum at idle up to 11-12 inhg. Definitely come on sooner than Stage 2's it sounds like, cause there's no off-on feeling other than the Super 70 spooling up.

I'm now working on finishing up my 2.5 TIII stroker swap in my Lebaron, going to work on a good stock head/turbo tune for it, then start upgrading things like turbo, cams etc. I think Steve Calder was running LW Stage 2 cams in his CSX, which made 440 whp on 15 psi on a nearly stock head (with big everything else lol).
    Rob M.
    '89 Turbo GTC

2.5 TIII stroker, 568 w/ OBX and 3.77 FD