Thread: Are 523's the same between TBI and TD cars?

Mitsu booster

Are 523's the same between TBI and TD cars?

I just picked up my first TD and it has a rebuilt 525 from a TBI car. I know that they werent the same as 525's from a TD, and I came across a 523 from a 94 shadow non turbo car and I need to know if its the same internally as the TD cars before I go spending money on it.

turbo addict

Re: Are 523's the same between TBI and TD cars?

All 92+ 523's are the same internally. All came with 3.77 final drive. I just picked up a 80K mikle one from a 94 Shadow for $85. That was with salvage yard pulling it for me.
    Todd

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

I think the only difference in the early 523s is the FD options. I don't think they ever put a 3.85FD on a turbo car. I think they did offer both the 3.85 and 3.50FDs in some NA cars though so it makes the 3.85 FD more rare but it really isn't very desirable anyway.

-Rich

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
    I think the only difference in the early 523s is the FD options. I don't think they ever put a 3.85FD on a turbo car. I think they did offer both the 3.85 and 3.50FDs in some NA cars though so it makes the 3.85 FD more rare but it really isn't very desirable anyway.

-Rich
    3.85 was used in the minivans for the first 2 years.

Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff Vigo's Avatar

I haz one.. still got 27mpg with it in my van.

Also, 525s were same for turbo and non as long as the FD ratio was the same, AFAIK.

Dont push the red button.You hear me?

Basic Vendor (MSD, Hawk, etc) Turbo Mopar Contributor rbryant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    I have even seen NA shadows with the 3.85 FD but like you said they were only available in the 1st gen 523s.

-Rich

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor Darkapollo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe86 View Post
    I just picked up my first TD and it has a rebuilt 525 from a TBI car. I know that they werent the same as 525's from a TD, and I came across a 523 from a 94 shadow non turbo car and I need to know if its the same internally as the TD cars before I go spending money on it.
    Some one can correct me if im wrong, but the 525 trans is 18 spline input and the 523 is 17 spline input. You would have to change the clutch as well.
    I may be wrong, they may have changed the spline count on the 525 at some point, the only stock turbo 5spd's Ive had were a 91 daytona with a 568 and an 86 TurboZ with a 525..

The 525 is a hand grenade waiting to go off btw.. I have a friend who nuked one down shifting into 4th to pass on the highway..

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    yes this is true. turbo van would have the 568 3.85

n/a van would have the 523 3.85 trans

rich is right. all gearing is the same within the 523 trans (90-91), just FD changes between n/a (3.85) and turbo cars (3.50)

the 523 92+ trans has a different gearset then the earlier A523 (90-91)
    it is also stronger, and the gears are lengthier like the A568 gearset. im almost positive that any 92+ 523 trans had a 3.77 fd (turbo n V6 for sure....not quite sure about the n/a trannies)

the A523 92+ gearset combined with a 3.50 fd is another hybrid option for those who cannot get ahold of a 568 trans

Banned Turbo Mopar Contributor

short answer. NO its NOT the same. however complete trans will bolt in like butter. you will need a large spline clutch tho. a turbo pressure plate would also be ideal!

you also need cables and shifter from the 523 vehicle......easy swap. i see sante blue so im going to guess its a GLH??

youll need 2 mod the driver side trans bracket to get it to bolt up to the 523, just a little grinding and your good 2 go!

Hybrid booster

I have a 92 523 that seems pretty bulletproof in my Charger.
    I also have a 90 523 that was no so bulletproof, but had the 3.50 gear that I put in my 92 523.
    That combination is really good, although not quite as nice as a 568 with a 3.50.
    The earlier 523 tranny did have the 18 spline, small input shaft. The 92+ has the larger 17 spline.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Juggy View Post
    short answer. NO its NOT the same. however complete trans will bolt in like butter. you will need a large spline clutch tho. a turbo pressure plate would also be ideal!

you also need cables and shifter from the 523 vehicle......easy swap. i see sante blue so im going to guess its a GLH??

youll need 2 mod the driver side trans bracket to get it to bolt up to the 523, just a little grinding and your good 2 go!
    Cables are easy - L-body, make sure you get P-body cables. You'll also need the shifter from the same car.

You'll have to get different axles. 90 auto L-body

Mitsu booster

I'm getting the trans, shifter and cables all from the same shadow, if the guy ever answers his phone...

Mitsu booster

I knew about the axle swap, but thanks for the info on clutch splines and mounting. I was planning on running a pressure plate from a Spirit RT because they have a higher clamp force, will just use a stock clutch disc i guess

turbo addict

I knew about the axle swap, but thanks for the info on clutch splines and mounting. I was planning on running a pressure plate from a Spirit RT because they have a higher clamp force, will just use a stock clutch disc i guess
    yep