Thread: megasquirt and stock distributor

turbo addict

megasquirt and stock distributor

Who is using megasquirt with the stock turbo distributor? Want to make sure this setup works before I commit to using the distributor pickups. Thanks.

turbo addict

Re: megasquirt and stock distributor

There are a few. Are you running msextra? If not you should because it has built in support for the stock distributor
    Ian Adams Function>Form 1990 shadow scrapped, too rusty:( 1991 Spirit R/T Scrapped, parts sold:( 1989 Turbo Caravan Daily beater with built-[I]ish [/I]​engine slowly evolving into weekend turbo beater.

turbo addict

I run the standard code with MS2 in one car and I am converting that one to the Extra code. Going to run this car on Extra from the start but want to be sure that the distributor works before I set it up to work with that.

turbo addict

You would always had a crank trigger and use a waste spark system

turbo addict

Would really like to use the distributor since it is factory on our application and you get sequential spark and fuel with that setup. Sooo, anyone out there reading this successfully using the stock distributor and MS?

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    Would really like to use the distributor since it is factory on our application and you get sequential spark and fuel with that setup. Sooo, anyone out there reading this successfully using the stock distributor and MS?
    I've got it running on the bench right now against a smecstim. I can tell you that it accepts the same HEP signals that a smec would on the bench, so it appears to be working properly there. There was another thread around here where someone was saying that you can run with just 1 pickup. I haven't verified this, as I was unable to get it to sync on the bench with 1 pickup (I didn't really try all that hard). I'm relatively certain that you'll need both pickups for sequential though.

Just be aware that you either need to feed the HEP 5v for power or translate it's signal to 5v on the MS. 8v will not make the processor on the MS too happy.

I have a adapter board in the works that will allow you to go between a LM and a MS2 with just moving a few plugs but I haven't had time to fix my car and test it. Once I get that tested I can give a 100% yes/no on how well it works with the factory HEP setup.

turbo addict

ok, I read on one of these forums that there were reset problems when trying to use the dual HEP's in the stock distributor. For supply voltage you just give each HEP 5v from the MS unit off of the proto area right? For single HEP I don't think you need any code to do that it would just be a distributor with a single HEP so batch fired fuel and non-sequential spark. You could use a TBI distributor for single HEP I think.

boostaholic Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by wallace View Post
    ok, I read on one of these forums that there were reset problems when trying to use the dual HEP's in the stock distributor. For supply voltage you just give each HEP 5v from the MS unit off of the proto area right? For single HEP I don't think you need any code to do that it would just be a distributor with a single HEP so batch fired fuel and non-sequential spark. You could use a TBI distributor for single HEP I think.
    I haven't seen any loss of sync on the bench, who knows what happens in real life, though.

Yes, You can use the 5v from the proto area. I'm sure there's a tutorial on wiring it up somewhere. I haven't looked at how to hook that up as I'm translating the 8v to 5v with a optoisolator. You may need a resistor in line so that the HEP doesn't short the whole 5v rail to ground, I'm not 100% sure on that.

If you used a TBI distributor it would be just fine with a normal coil - type (4 pulses/edges or 8 changes in signal per 2 rev) setup. The turbo distributors have the sync window which will wreak havok on the ecu if you try to decode them the same way as there's 5 edges (10 changes in signal per 2 rev). The angle/length of time for each on/off needs to be coded in to read the turbo trigger wheel with 1 pickup.