Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2.4 oil pressure?

turbo addict

2.4 oil pressure?

So, I broke the engine in on conventional 10W30. Ive got about 100 miles on it now so I changed it out to Mobil 1 10W40. Ive always run Mobil 1 10W40 in my 8V motor, so I figured it would work well here as well. They didnt have any regular so I went with the high mileage stuff.....supposed to be extra seal conditioners in there and what not. My oil pressure is wayyy higher than it was in the old 8V motor. Even at a hot idle its at 20 PSI. I got into the rpms just a touch (maybe 3000 RPM) when it was cold and the oil pressure needle hit almost 100 PSI. Is this too much oil pressure? Should I go back to a 10W30 oil in this motor? I thought it was strange that this oil seems to increase the oil pressure a good 10PSI above the 10w30 conventional....

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Re: 2.4 oil pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastCSX289 View Post
    So, I broke the engine in on conventional 10W30. Ive got about 100 miles on it now so I changed it out to Mobil 1 10W40. Ive always run Mobil 1 10W40 in my 8V motor, so I figured it would work well here as well. They didnt have any regular so I went with the high mileage stuff.....supposed to be extra seal conditioners in there and what not. My oil pressure is wayyy higher than it was in the old 8V motor. Even at a hot idle its at 20 PSI. I got into the rpms just a touch (maybe 3000 RPM) when it was cold and the oil pressure needle hit almost 100 PSI. Is this too much oil pressure? Should I go back to a 10W30 oil in this motor?
    I have read that the 2.4s have significantly higher oil pressure. There was a thread on here in which is was discussed a little bit.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I have read that the 2.4s have significantly higher oil pressure. There was a thread on here in which is was discussed a little bit.
    I just found it in this section. DJ started a thread thinking his oil pressure was causing a front main leak. I did notice that a couple guys said that they had to put restrictors in at the turbo. How would one know if they needed a restrictor? I guess if oil was blowing past the internal seals and getting burnt?

So.....If I am not experiencing any kind of burning or leaking, then the high oil pressure is OK?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I just found it in this section. DJ started a thread thinking his oil pressure was causing a front main leak. I did notice that a couple guys said that they had to put restrictors in at the turbo. How would one know if they needed a restrictor? I guess if oil was blowing past the internal seals and getting burnt?

So.....If I am not experiencing any kind of burning or leaking, then the high oil pressure is OK?
    I would do a search for some of Chris Wright's quotes in the turbo section. I know he has talked about high oil pressure in relation to turbos before. IIRC he also posted some pics of a center section showing that they had a restrictor built into them.

Here is a vague faq from Garrett's website.
    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob.../faqs.html#t16

Garrett booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

From my donor 99 Stratus: "10W-30 preferred, 5W-30 optional for colder climates"

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff contraption22's Avatar

Yeah the 2.4's do run very high oil pressure. I am wondering if this is one of the issues with oil pump failures. I run 5w30 in my SRT-4.
    Mike Marra
    1986 Plymouth Horizon GLMF "The Contraption" < entertaining sponsorship offers
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Buy my stuff!!!!!!!!!!! :O) Turbo Mopar Vendor turbovanmanČ's Avatar

100 miles of break in then switching to synthetic, brave man,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.
    2003 GSW 2.0L TDI, auto, fully loaded, modified, 360K-wife's.
    2004 GSW TDI, 5 speed, fully loaded, modified.

Aurora ignition wires for sale. Link to info

Super60 roller cams or custom/billet cams. Link to info

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    I broke mine in with 45 minutes of city driving. Switched to synthetic and headed out for a 4800 mile round trip. Still seems to be running fine.

Ya, high pressure is normal. My leak was due to the missing O-ring as you probably figured out in the thread. When I start it up I get about 80psi at idle. When hot it will be around 30psi at idle and 60psi cruising down the hiway.

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post
    I broke mine in with 45 minutes of city driving. Switched to synthetic and headed out for a 4800 mile round trip. Still seems to be running fine.

Ya, high pressure is normal. My leak was due to the missing O-ring as you probably figured out in the thread. When I start it up I get about 80psi at idle. When hot it will be around 30psi at idle and 60psi cruising down the hiway.
    Hahhaah, guess I am old school, prefer at least a 1000 km's before switching,
    1989 FWD Turbo Caravan-2.5 TIII, GT35R, auto, a/c, cruise, pwr windows/locks, fully loaded with interior and ran with full exhaust. RETIRED FOR A FEW YEARS! 12.57@104 :O)
    1984 Chev Getaway van, 6.2 Diesel with a remote mounted turbo setup burning WMO-For sale.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by turboshad View Post

What weight oil are you running?

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I have similar oil pressure to DJ... I'm running Castrol GTX 10w40

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor

What weight oil are you running?
    Mobil 10/30

turbo addict

Thanks guys. I think ill stick with the Mobil 10W40 for a while and see. Maybe get a restrictor for the ball bearing turbo.....we'll see.

See me ride out of the sunset... Turbo Mopar Staff BadAssPerformance's Avatar

I forgot to add I did add an oil restrictor to the new hamster wheel... cuz it was used and came with one, LOL

JT
    SDAC Director
    SDAC-Chicago President
    JOIN SDAC and your local Chapter TODAY! - SUPPORT the CLUB that supports YOUR HOBBY!
    87 Shelby Z - 10.50@141.66mph
    87 CSX #751 Clone - 12.88@102.88mph

www.badassperformance.com
    Check out Turbo-Mopar Times!
    Submit your 1/4 mile times HERE!!

Support SDAC! Join Today!
    "I'm not some pro athlete with a bajillion dollars, I'm just an every man"
    Note: The information and any images provided in this post are not for distribution outside this forum without the author's permission.

Quote Originally Posted by turbovanman View Post
    HAHAHA! I'd rather this thread not to into yet another thread about synthetic oils or break-in proceedure, but my break in oil usually only leaves the garage in a drain pan.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:
    http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?69708-The-Contraption-2013-14&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22 View Post
    HAHAHA! I'd rather this thread not to into yet another thread about synthetic oils or break-in proceedure, but my break in oil usually only leaves the garage in a drain pan.
    What color is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    What color is it?
    According to the Behr color chips at Home Depot, its somewhere between "Crepe" and "Renoir Bisque".
    Last edited by contraption22; 07-22-2010 at 01:39 PM.
    Mike Marra
    Project Log:

Quote Originally Posted by contraption22
    Why not, lol, we are good at switching topics,

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    What color is it?
    Oh, nasty,

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    I forgot to add I did add an oil restrictor to the new hamster wheel... cuz it was used and came with one, LOL
    So I take it you never had one with the old one?

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssPerformance View Post
    So I take it you never had one with the old one? Im more concerned with messing up the seals on the turbo. The drag on the bearings is not so much an issue for me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast