Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Fuel Tank

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Rusty Fuel Tank

So since I am dealing with my first 'rust belt' car from IL(IROC RT) I am going to try and replace some parts under the car that look to be beyond saving. One of those parts is the fuel tank/pump hanger. I got the part number for a new tank/sender from the awsome TIII part # thread here but there is no application I could find for the pump hanger/fuel 'door' It is so rusty I'm afraid if I even try to change the pump/lines out, the fuel elbows out of the door will just snap off

Is there a part # someone knows of? Is there a crossover door that will work from another TM car? Third gen Daytonas are few a far between in the yards near me

Also you guys with rust treatment experience, will just painting some POR 15 or similar on the pinch welds do anything to slow the rust proccess? There is a little bit on the seams of the doors too. Or is cut and replace the only way? If I put a jack under the factory 'jack pad' on the drivers side, it would go right thru the floor

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Re: Rusty Fuel Tank

*shudder* nice car out the top. scary underneath eh? Good luck alan!

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Also you guys with rust treatment experience, will just painting some POR 15 or similar on the pinch welds do anything to slow the rust proccess? There is a little bit on the seams of the doors too. Or is cut and replace the only way? If I put a jack under the factory 'jack pad' on the drivers side, it would go right thru the floor

Rustbullet or eastwoods rust encapsulator works great. wire brush and use some carb cleaner (or whatever cali lets you have ) and have at it.

For the door bottoms some slushing oil injected through the drain holes will slow it down but the only way to remove it permanetly is cut and replace. link

turbo addict

^^^ Yep.....POR 15 works well too. Let us know when you cant get the bolts broken free of the gas tank straps. Ill give you the step by step on how to torch the gas tank out of the car.

......id like to see the underside of this car.....its probably just California "rusty". And super-uber-clean to us north easterners. Youre gonna have to put up some pics so we can inspect.

......when I was on the phone with the guy I bought my CSX from (in California)......I said "is there any rust?" He says........"well.....(I got nervous here for a sec).....theres a little rust on the wiper arms where the sun baked the paint off." I still dont see the rust he was talking about......the car absolutely rust FREE....Id dont even think new cars are this clean underneith here in NY! You guys have it lucky out there!

two point two much fun Turbo Mopar Staff Turbodave's Avatar

Any other salt belt guys here want to chip in on a gift box for Alan, maybe 10 cans of PB blaster, a propane torch, some goggles...

Is the tank/pump sender different from a V6 car? I thought on the 91 up cars all interchanged, Turbo/TBI/V6. If so find a California 3.0 Daytona in the yard and go to town...
    Dave Tekampe
    Director SDAC National
    VP SDAC-Chicago

85 GLH-Turbo (DC intercooled)
    86 GLHS #107
    87 GLHS #148
    87 CSX #161, #608, #674
    88 CSX-T #529, #541
    89 Shadow Competition Package and lots more...

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
    Any other salt belt guys here want to chip in on a gift box for Alan, maybe 10 cans of PB blaster, a propane torch, some goggles...
    how about a were all here for you Alan

And there is hope

Why even after my little 'incident' last month I'm not giving up on this car.

turbo addict

the sender you need is pn FG64B from Spectra Premium Industries, pump is an SP113, Lock rings are LO06 and LO102 - you need both if a new tank doesn't have them, all Spectra parts, ST17 for straps.

I have a black outer fuel filler door for sale, if you need the filler neck assembly, you're hitting the yards.

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post
    the sender you need is pn FG64B from Spectra Premium Industries, pump is an SP113, Lock rings are LO06 and LO102 - you need both if a new tank doesn't have them, all Spectra parts, ST17 for straps.

I have a black outer fuel filler door for sale, if you need the filler neck assembly, you're hitting the yards.

My thought is just getting this thing to sunny/no rain SoCal will arrest most of the rusting process but I dont know for sure. Floors and frame rails are very solid and rust free. Fortunately the thing has had an oil leak for years that pretty well coated the pan, it is absolutely rust free where the oilcoat is (it's the oil drainback rubber from the turbo that has leaked for years, replacement on the way) I will patch the jackpad area but the seams I just wanna slow the rusting way down and it should outlive me (maybe 25-30 years?)

Rich, is the SP 113 the hanger and door with the hardlines in it? I'll order up the tank/sender/and straps but where is the place to get the Spectra parts, RockAuto or??

If the Rampage RT isn't ready (rebuilt motor from the Vegas 'incident") by August 15th, the RT will have to do the Team Shelby members Weekend #3 including a track day at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana. I'm not gonna count on the stock pump to deliver fuel to 20% injectors at extended WOT Just one of many mods before the RT is up to four 25 minute sessions of roadracing

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife

turbo addict

The SRT 4 upgraded pumps are supposed to work in the late tanks. I have yet to try this because this I had already swapped to an early tank. That is your other option.

As Dave suggested the pump is the same on a V6 car. I do not know about a TBI car.

Supporting Member II Turbo Mopar Contributor

What a great place this is. Answers.
    John Laing

"The sole condition which is required in order to succeed in centralizing the supreme power in a democratic community, is to love equality, or to get men to believe you love it. Thus the science of despotism, which was once so complex is simplified, and reduced . . . . to a single principle."
    -- Alexis de Tocqueville

"One of the methods used by statists to destroy capitalism consists in establishing controls that tie a given industry hand and foot, making it unable to solve its problems, then declaring that freedom has failed and stronger controls are necessary."
    --Ayn Rand

"To evolve, you don't need a Constitution. All you need is a legislature and a ballot box . . . . things will evolve as much as you want. All of these changes can come about democratically; you don't need a Constitution to do that and it's not the function of a Constitution to do that."
    -- Justice Antonin Scalia

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post

Rich, is the SP 113 the hanger and door with the hardlines in it? I'll order up the tank/sender/and straps but where is the place to get the Spectra parts, RockAuto or??
    The fuel pumps on the later cars are whole assemblies. Undo the quick disconnects, spin/tap the lock ring out, pull out the old and in with the new. You can dissassemble the module and swap in a walboro 255 or whatever the HiPo pump is people run.

rock auto should have all that or go up to Autozone, NAPA, Advance, PepBoys or what ever is by you.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by rich tideswell View Post

are you talking fuel pump and sending unit? If so, I was able to get one from Dodge last year...

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by CaptMoe View Post
    are you talking fuel pump and sending unit? If so, I was able to get one from Dodge last year...
    there is that option too

Looks like I won't be buying new parts after all. Butch, the guy that drove the RT back to Cali for me, spotteda 70K mile 92 V6 Daytona ES in a Jyard. It gave up a BUNCH of parts today and probably some more tomorrow
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92 Jyard Daytona.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	410.9 KB 
ID:	24073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92 Jyard Daytona2.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	456.6 KB 
ID:	24074   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92 Daytona Jyard Tank.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	456.5 KB 
ID:	24075  

turbo addict

grab everything you can off it - gfx, bumpers, lamps etc.... if my 92 ES was that clean i would have never sold it.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor j4278h's Avatar

no doubt. I bet the lip on the hood is perfect.

They don't put a pick ax thru the tanks? I'd grab one from a ffv spirit as they were plastic and had this super sweet stainless hanger assembly.

The moderately moderate moderator Turbo Mopar Staff

Nice score!
    Bryan
    86 GLHS #161, 2016 Impala
    SDAC National Member, SDAC Buckeye Chapter Member

A man has got to know his limitations.....

turbo addict

I cant understand how stuff like that gets junked!?!?

turbo addict

doesn't run, 3.0 v6 smokes, nuked the tranny.... All things that might cost more to fix than just buying another car. When you can get a 10 year old Mercedes E-class for like 2grand don't expect a 92 V6 daytona to hold much value. Out west though there is no salt so things don't rust even if they're old. And as long as there was no accident in the car they might look good too. But if the mechanic is going to charge you $1500+ to rebuild a tranny or engine you can see how it's just not worth it.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    doesn't run, 3.0 v6 smokes, nuked the tranny.... All things that might cost more to fix than just buying another car. When you can get a 10 year old Mercedes E-class for like 2grand don't expect a 92 V6 daytona to hold much value. Out west though there is no salt so things don't rust even if they're old. And as long as there was no accident in the car they might look good too. But if the mechanic is going to charge you $1500+ to rebuild a tranny or engine you can see how it's just not worth it.
    I suppose.....its just a different world out there, I guess. In the north, if the body is that clean, it wouldnt get scrapped. Even if there was a major problem, it would go on craigslist and someone would grab it. If you go yarding around here everything is either smashed or rusted beyond help. I found a Spirit R/T in the yard not long ago and it had a blown head gasket. Drivetrain was great otherwise, but there were no rocker panels left on the car...just rusted to nothing.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast