Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

turbo addict

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    Low idle, even while hot, we had some trouble with it stalling when out of the gas/clutch and decelerating, not terrible, but we lost it a few times. Gotta get that sorted. Other than that she's running great. Awesomes.
    Probably just need to adjust the idle screw.

boostaholic

congrats on getting it on the road, major dedication to that project, way to go

Hybrid booster

Thanks guys! Went out to the garage a little bit ago, not a drop of fluid underneath. Little oil around the dipstick tube, need to reseal that I think. Lord knows why I didn't do that when it was out of the car. Now the real fun begins. She'll go under the knife here pretty quick for 3" exhaust, +20s to get the fuel right, new fuel pump and AFPR if necessary.

Hybrid booster

well idle issue is fixed, was as easy as tweaking the idle adjust screw. Took here out and a bout again today and it seems to be running great, and no stalling issues, no gas required to start. Hooray.

When I got hope there was a little smoke coming from behind the turbo, smelled like clutch, perhaps I'm just getting some grime burned off, or operator error, been awhile since I drove a stick LOL. More concerning, there was some burbling from the coolant reservoir and radiator, lost some coolant too. Hopefully just working air out of the system. Will have to monitor. Car was still only showing half on the temp gauge, head measured at about 205 degrees, so it seems the car is staying cool.

Hybrid booster

Temporary cash flow problem, so the exhaust is on hold for the moment, not to be detered I cut out the broken and clogged cat and welded in a straight pipe, hooked up the wideband and installed the +20s. Wideband is working great and I took the car out for a few miles today. I can cruise around fine, wideband reads between 13-14... when I punch it as soon as I get up past a few thousand RPMs it goes PIG rich, power goes away and it will actually start to backfire. Pooh. I need to check the timing first and foremost.

Hybrid booster

seems like I've been AWOL for longer than two months. Been just busy. ug. Re-timed the car and it's running much better, been cruising around town and she's running very well. Not very happy on cold start up, I'm wondering if I have a leaky injector. After about a minute she purs like an angry kitteh. Runs great around town but as I get well into the boost it still goes wicked rich. Had her up to 88mph (for science!) on the interstate with ease. I assume at this point I'm just stuck with the fuel issues until I can get a cal done. Other than that, only one speaker works lol, minor problem heh.

Got her all cleaned up, Unbelievable the amount of grime on this car. She looks pretty damn good from about 15 feet!

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

A sun roof! Those were rare on the 89' cars. I'm not sure about the 88's though.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    A sun roof! Those were rare on the 89' cars. I'm not sure about the 88's though.
    It's somewhat confusing, as the engine is from an '89, and there's a bunch of '88 crap on it, but it's actually an '87 I love having it though, honestly, wouldn't have bought one with out it.

I doubt my head would fit without one Car is looking great man! she really cleans up well, time for an exhaust

Hybrid booster

well kind of a sad day. Yesterday the Daytona went down for the winter.... outside.

I'm sad to put her outdoors, but really excited not to be uncasing the Trep from a tomb of ice and snow every morning. Just to add insult to injury, it rained THEN snowed on the poor girl in the first night. She's nice and dry underneath though, found a car cover that fits perfect, we'll see how it holds up.

Gathering parts for phase II: (Starting in February)

-All new brake lines, R&R the rest of the brakes
    -install '88 rear calipers (discovered the originals are seized... no wonder I wasn't impressed with the stopping power. Oie)
    -255 Walbro and AFPR
    -Maybe new gas tank just for kicks, since they are so cheap
    -Figure out which of the supposedly good +20s I got is dumping gas into the engine.
    -Weld in new spare tire well.
    -Socket my spare SMEC and get a Cal sorted out (I have lots of reading to do)
    -refinish and powdercoat the crabs.
    -Get more than one speaker working, hopefully get that infinity deck running too.
    -Exhaust, as duly noted by thefang, will probably wait until later in the summer.

I have high hopes that by the time the snow melts in March/April I'll have all the fueling/calibration stuff sorted out and ready to be tuned in, and solid brakes underneath, and I can have the old gal truly road worthy.

boostaholic

I have had covers damage the paint by keeping moisture trapped in and bubbling the paint, I have come to the conclusion that a good coat of wax and keeping the car clean is better along with a sun screen on the windows to keep the UV rays out of the interior. If you are sold on the cover I would get some foam pool noodles and keep the cover separated from the paint to alow more air to circulate.

Hybrid booster

Well it's thawing out here in Holland. Time to come out of hibernation and get this girl to 100% I'm already behind schedule.

Hybrid booster

Look what came out of hibernation finally!! Winter stuck around through March, but she's finally out from under the cover. Was frozen to the ground, so I couldn't push it. Once I got electricity in her she started right up and ran like a scolded dog.

It looks like I bought the wrong size socket for my SMEC, too narrow (anyone got a part number? I cant find one for anything) so once I get that sorted and done, and the cal in, I just need to swap the injectors and R&R the rear brakes and she should be really ready for some shakedown cruising.

Hybrid booster

Summer got away from me but I've been plodding along.

before:

After:

Calipers R&R'd and new lines from the prop valve back. I finally have a working E-brake!

Finally got this little guy installed:

Just got to finish the fuel system and swap the injectors (again) and she should be good to go... just in time for winter. Sigh.

Hybrid booster

Hey I still own this thing! Amazing how life gets away from you with a couple young kids in the house.

Have been tinkering off an on the last couple years but just haven't had much time. Chasing brake problems I put new front calipers, MC and rotors on, finally got the thing to stop on a quarter. Been DDing her off and on the last two weeks and my goodness, that boostbutton cal really did the trick! She's fun to drive and noisy as hell. Lots to do but she's moving.

To do list:

-Actually properly time it (running a bit lean I think, cruising at 14ish, under load it fights to get into the 10s, not that I've been hitting her that hard yet.
    -new rear tires, get the right lugs to put the wheel covers on.
    -alignment
    -install BOV
    -Install Boost gauge in factory location
    -Fix jumping speedo gauge
    -Fix the radio
    -replace oil pressure sensor (leaking) and plumb in the inline filter.
    -new rearview mirror
    -try to fix the drivers seat gangsta lean

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

From the dead thread pile, nice update! I didn't touch the cars at all when my kids were born for about the first 3 years. Now that they are in HIGH SCHOOL! I've got lotsa time to wrench again. Too many projects tho

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

Hybrid booster

After the rear brakes I decided just to keep going and did new calipers, lines, rotors and MC on the front. Got the airbox cleaned up and sorted out, and started tooling around.

Installed an autometer boost gauge in the factory location, two button traveller (both the navigators I have are duds) and a sweet dimming homelink mirror I fished out of the recycle bin from work. Also put a long sweep oil pressure gauge in the pillar pod with the wideband, so I can really keep tabs on stuff.

Finally solved my lack of boost/lean condition by finding a problem with the setup in the fuel pump assembly (leaky hose) She really runs now.

Took her on a 460 mile trip last weekend and she was just a peach.

The only thing that broke in flight was the passenger wiper assembly, but I did identify a fair amount of other issues.

Odometer is dead
    speedometer is bouncing all over.
    Fuel won't read below 3/4 tank (self inflected I believe, I put a new tank in, must have dor
    Some gas leaking when tank is topped off (new vent valve ordered)
    Wiper linkage (parts ordered)
    cigarette lighter is dead
    Horn doesnt work
    interior bulbs out all over the place.
    rear hatch is leaking a bit
    throwout bearing was a little squeaky on a colder evening.

Hybrid booster

Speedo fixed (connector was broken) Fuel tank leak is fixed and in theory so is the gauge issue (hung up on the return line) Smaller wastegate orifice has brought the boost up to 10PSI.

Running great, So fun to drive. So since it's actually working; time to take it apart again!! It's time for paint!

Hybrid booster

Been hit in the quarter and repaired, I can see the metal work and welding through the speaker opening. Terrible paint job over top is failing.

clear failed on top, no surprise there.

No idea what this poor fender has been through

Lots of little dings.

Most of the way pulled apart.

30 year old trim adhesive is a -----

My daughter helping me get the adhesive out of the window

Rough DA sanding

Surprise bondo and 5 layers of paint

More bondo in the door.

This is the existing damage I knew about. Metal was worked out and the bondo was applied properly, I'm going to leave it alone, just clean it up.

Mercifully the passenger side is really clean. One big scratch to feather out, and a few dings, but will pretty much get a scuff and shoot

Hood paint had largely failed. Sanded all the way down to primer

buttheads put the bondo over the original paint!! So down to the metal here.

Hybrid booster

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567