Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Hybrid booster

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Finally got some time today to tinker. Got the new crossmember loaded up with new ball joints, and the sway bar with poly bushings.

Lovin' this 89 K-frame unbelievable how much larger bolts are to hold the rack. Check out the difference from 87 to 89:

V\

Also replaced the high side power steering line, hopefully that solves the problem of it pissing PS fluid everywhere. Bobble strut mount welded on.

Already to go in tomorrow!

I also modified the exhaust flange so that it will mate to the larger swingvalve, hooked that up and fired her up. Damn, with the exhaust muffled a bit, she sounds awesome as hell. I mean really awesome. Really. Revs strong, sounds fantastic. I am excite.

-Install CM and button up suspension
    -Finish interior
    -Put lower ground effects/hood back on.
    -button up electrics
    -replace rear calipers with 88 model, or at least unseize the parking brake on the current ones for now.
    **TEST DRIVE/minor shakedown (no boost)
    -3in exhaust+wideband
    -new boost gauge
    +20 injectors
    -New fuel pump, AFPR if required.
    **Full shakedown time.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Finally got some time today to tinker. Got the new crossmember loaded up with new ball joints, and the sway bar with poly bushings.

Lovin' this 89 K-frame unbelievable how much larger bolts are to hold the rack. Check out the difference from 87 to 89:

V\

Also replaced the high side power steering line, hopefully that solves the problem of it pissing PS fluid everywhere. Bobble strut mount welded on.

Already to go in tomorrow!

I also modified the exhaust flange so that it will mate to the larger swingvalve, hooked that up and fired her up. Damn, with the exhaust muffled a bit, she sounds awesome as hell. I mean really awesome. Really. Revs strong, sounds fantastic. I am excite.

-Install CM and button up suspension
    -Finish interior
    -Put lower ground effects/hood back on.
    -button up electrics
    -replace rear calipers with 88 model, or at least unseize the parking brake on the current ones for now.
    **TEST DRIVE/minor shakedown (no boost)
    -3in exhaust+wideband
    -new boost gauge
    +20 injectors
    -New fuel pump, AFPR if required.
    **Full shakedown time.

Also, there's a guy at the end of my street that all of a sudden has THREE GLH chargers... gonna have to stop by and bug him one of these days.

turbo addict

looks like you got a 5spd mount welded on right?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    looks like you got a 5spd mount welded on right?
    yes sir! Funny, when I cut the mount off the crossmemeber, I realized that someone had welded it on there previously, this is the third car it's seen duty on lol.

Hybrid booster

Cool. Got the Motel all set for SDAC? Your drive time to MATCH will be TWO HOURS FLAT FROM THE TULIP PATCH TO THE MOTEL! Call when you leave, Not when you're passing thru' Portland. My standing record for across the state is 1 hour and 50 minutes from Ypsi to down town tulip patch set on 12/29/62 in a '57 DeSoto Adventure. With a 331 that puppy would fly but that's another story. See Yeah, Jer

Hybrid booster

That's a quick drive! I'm hoping to be there, but I need to get in touch with some SDAC folks at some point, I'm not currently a member, not sure what's required... I know nothing lol! I believe my pops is planning on being in Pontiac on Saturday for the SCCA event anyway, and I'm sure he's gonna want to hang out as well, so very likely we'll caravan and I'll just crash back in Saginaw for the nights at his place, rather than hit the hotel. Work looks to be hectic around then too, so it might just be for Saturday and Sunday... first and foremost, gotta get the car done lol.

turbo addict

www.sdac.org there is a online system for membership and SDAC sign up.

Hybrid booster

whelp. took it out for a drive today!

Seems to be a few problems.

Little bit of a bang when going into 1st... trans was basically dry so I'm wondering if oil was just getting around... shifting into second was smooth as butter.

2nd, and more importantly... it's getting HOT. 3 minute drive around the block and the temp was already at 1/3+ Intake and valve cover were too hot to touch by hand, and smoke was pouring off the turbo/exhaust manifold. I don't see any obvious oil on there, hard to tell whats on top of the manifold... Little smoke in the valve cover too not alot... there's fresh oil up there so it seams like oil is getting through.

Car felt like it had decent power, didn't really give it a lot of gas. felt a little bogged I guess.. heck if I know, I've never driven it before.

Any thoughts?

Hybrid booster

pulled a code 22 as well, which is strange, as the gauge is working, rad if full and all hoses were hot.. coolant system seems fine. Not sure if the fan is kicking on or not... I wondering if maybe I have an oil pressure issue, was ticking a bit when I started it.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    pulled a code 22 as well, which is strange, as the gauge is working, rad if full and all hoses were hot.. coolant system seems fine. Not sure if the fan is kicking on or not... I wondering if maybe I have an oil pressure issue, was ticking a bit when I started it.
    Code 22 is the coolant temp sensor for the computer. It's not for the gauge in the car. The sender for the gauge is between cyls 1 and 2 on the front of the head. The coolant temp sensor is on the driver's side of the water box.

Hybrid booster

oh damn! Well I will start there... perhaps I'm not kicking the fan on, was 90 degrees out today, gonna get hot quick.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    oh damn! Well I will start there... perhaps I'm not kicking the fan on, was 90 degrees out today, gonna get hot quick.
    The code 22 should have the fan on constantly as a fail safe. That's why it comes on when you disconnect the CTS while setting the ign timing.

Hybrid booster

hmmm. not that I noticed. I'll check again tomorrow. Gonna put a laser thermometer on it too just to see if Im worrying over nothing. Perhaps its an old code. CEL was not on.

Hybrid booster

put new terminals on the battery which cleared the 22 code, now no codes after letting it idle for about 5 minutes... during which it pissed a half quart of oil out of the oil pressure sensor manifold. Oops. Top end is a little noisy while running, not terrible, opened the valve cover and I could definitely see oil splattering around up there. Gonna take apart that manifold tomorrow, get my inline filter installed and put a mechanical gauge on it, see what kinda pressure I'm getting. I think I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill, pretty sure I was just burning off PS fluid on my first hot lap. Oh well. Better safe the sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Code 22 is the coolant temp sensor for the computer. It's not for the gauge in the car. The sender for the gauge is between cyls 1 and 2 on the front of the head. The coolant temp sensor is on the driver's side of the water box.
    pretty sure you've got this one backwards bro. Gauge between 1-2, LM sensor at waterbox

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    pretty sure you've got this one backwards bro. Gauge between 1-2, LM sensor at waterbox
    heh, I guess I'll pull one and see which one kicks on the fan.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

Anyway! I got a manual oil pressure gauge and rigged it up so I can install it whenever I want. Ran the car all the way up to hot, reving it up and poking around.

-By the time the fan kicked on the head was at about 165-170 degrees, never got hotter than that.
    -idle oil pressure dropped from 50 at cold start to about 19 at idle with the fans on, temp gauge about 1/3, didnt drop below that for the next few mintues of messing around.
    -2000 RPM hot got me an oil pressure of 42 PSI.
    -no sign of smoke off the turbo... musta just been PS fluid.
    -little bit of a pop on rapid decel... I gather that's normal on the 2.5L especially.
    -idling around 700 rpm... as it was warming up it was stumbling just a little bit... by the time it was hot it was fine.

So all seems good as far as I can tell. Time to get her buttoned up and registered and insured and get her out on the road a bit!!!

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    You both said the same thing in a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    You both said the same thing in a different way.
    maybe ninja edit, maybe I read too fast.

Hybrid booster

So um... kind of a big thing today... ALL THE PARTS ARE ON THE CAR!!!!!

Not to say that it's anywhere near "done"... But ALL THE PARTS ARE ON!!!

Hybrid booster

The Daytona is out of the garage! Took her for a spirited and eventful drive around Holland, which included me stranding the car in a busy intersection (It's been a long time since I drove a stick, and I never owned one... I needed some training and some time to get used to it again. Sheesh.) My wife worked up the courage to try out the Daytona. She's been very excited to get her hands on it, after growing up with a 4spd omni. I documented.

She had no trouble at all with it, proved that the car is running great and shifting fine made me look like an absolute novice LOL. Staying cool, oil pressure stayed up, Turbo spooled up past 10 PSI and quick (trying to keep it down, fuel trim is still whack, don't want to melt a piston.)

Look at that focus! Looking through the turn. Future Autocrosser.

Dat G-body ---! Awesome exhaust sounds even on the stock 2.25. It burbles like a V8 on decel. Sounds awesome.

Low idle, even while hot, we had some trouble with it stalling when out of the gas/clutch and decelerating, not terrible, but we lost it a few times. Gotta get that sorted. Other than that she's running great. Awesomes.

turbo addict Turbo Mopar Contributor

Congrats!!! It must feel pretty good having the car on the road

Very cool that your wife went out with you on the maiden voyage My wife rode in my GLH for the first time ever a few weeks ago(had the car for over 4 years) she confirmed that it's dangerous and scary

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast