Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Hybrid booster

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Ok so near as I can tell, this sucker is ready to go back in. Please take a look and let me know if you see anything I'm missing that is going to trip me up on D-Day. (Drop-Day) Planning on the weekend of 1-28

I know I need to switch out the waterpump pulley, anybody see anything else I need to install before the motor goes back in? Thanks!

Still need to buy motor mounts and stuff to clean up the wiring, and vac system stuff, mainly looking for missing pieces on the motor or in the engine bay.

Thanks!!

Hybrid booster

Me and pops pouring over the FSMs. Had to get power to the fuel pump to get the two year old gas out.

Suspension 80% back together, just needs tie rod ends and pinch bolts installed, and sway bar.

All accessories installed, Radiator in, Wiring is still a pretty big mess, lots of work to get that buttoned up, then she's ready to fire!

Current to do list:
    -Clean up wiring
    -Vac system install (have vac block)
    -(TEST FIRE!)
    -Buy +40s, 3 bar map, wideband, Fuel system R+R, socket SMEC and get cal
    -install 3" exhaust.

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

Looks like it's coming right along. Nice work.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    Looks like it's coming right along. Nice work.
    thanks!

got most of the vacuum plumbing together. Ran out of 5/32 hose... just need to mount up the block and hit the yard for some orifices... I seem to have lost mine. Hopefully that turbo la baron is still there.

turbo addict

if that's rubber hose I'd be very careful about running it. I just pulled line off a turbo shadow that was rubber and was sucking shut because it got a little warm.

turbo addict

if that's rubber hose I'd be very careful about running it. I just pulled line off a turbo shadow that was rubber and was sucking shut because it got a little warm.

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/...bing_-a-_Hoses Polyurethane or stock Nylon in 100 or 500ft rolls.

Hybrid booster

I was reading quite a bit... rubber vs. poly etc. seems like quite a controversial topic. I will file the link, that's a great site. If I have trouble I will change them over. I specifically routed them to stay away from the exhaust mani and turbo, so hopefully I wont have an issue. The wastegate line would be the most susceptible I would think.

Thanks!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

nice work ! i use clear nylon hose for 4 years and they never crack or pinch the only problem is that they get harder with time but over here its fearly easy to get them

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by shelbymonster View Post
    nice work ! i use clear nylon hose for 4 years and they never crack or pinch the only problem is that they get harder with time

Which means that over time they'll crack.

Beeble the line I replaced on that shadow was 3-4 inches away from the intake and VC. and went straight to the baro solenoid. Just the heat in the engine bay in the fall and winter sucked it shut.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Which means that over time they'll crack.

Beeble the line I replaced on that shadow was 3-4 inches away from the intake and VC. and went straight to the baro solenoid. Just the heat in the engine bay in the fall and winter sucked it shut.
    You're saying it was permanently sucked shut? Wow. There's alot of different opinions out there, seems like nylon and silicone got the most grief, so since I had easy access to new rubber lines I just went with those. If I have trouble I'll redo it with poly. Not a big deal, now that it's plumbed and cleaned up I could switch them all out in a jiff. Thanks for the tips!

turbo addict

It basically made a hourglass shape out of the hose. with two little air passages on each end, it deformed the hose at the connector near the intake and cause a vac leak there too. 30" of HG is no air at all. So 20+ on decel and 15-20 at idle has a lot of power to it.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    It basically made a hourglass shape out of the hose. with two little air passages on each end, it deformed the hose at the connector near the intake and cause a vac leak there too. 30" of HG is no air at all. So 20+ on decel and 15-20 at idle has a lot of power to it.
    Yikes! that's pretty wild.

Well I took everything back apart and put it back together without the elbows, couldn't get them all tight at the same time so I gave up on it. Block is now mounted and everything is connected save the cruise/HVAC, waste gate and boost gauge. I think I owe one more tube to the Evap canister as well. Most of that I'll just cap off for testing purposes. This car didn't have cruise originally anyway. (hooray for upgrades!)

Tomorrow is wiring day. I'll finish sorting out the wiring and get it cleaned up, drop the steering column in and give her some gas and see if she'll turn over!!

Hybrid booster

well not as much done this weekend as I hoped. The wife got go out with friends on Saturday, which she doesn't get to do often, so I hung out with the kiddies instead of working on the car. Did accomplish the following today:

-Re-did the vac block (didn't like; now I like ) and mounted.
    -I'm happy to report that I have figured out where every bloody connector on the harness goes, and re-wrapped about 80% of it. Still have to clean up the alternator harness and do some more work on the wires around the SMEC.

Few annoying changes from 87 to 88 that I still need to deal with:

-Air temp plug is different (hoping I can just pop one off of one of my three other intakes)
    -Speedo senor plug is different. (that's just damn annoying. Gonna be a splice unless I can take a part the connectors. I hate splicing stuff!!)

I didn't realize it before but my 89 CB has a different oil pressure sender... Opps. so fortunately I have the right one on of my other blocks... I fear I may have sent flag terminal part of the sensor on the original one to the crusher.

This week I should have plenty of time to drop the column in and button up the dash wiring... and after the above stuff is done
    it's time to see if this thing works.

Hybrid booster

So let me meter my excitement by saying that fuel, some vac, a few sensors and the radiator are still not hooked up....

but I just turned the key and gave the motor a very healthy crank, a few of them in fact. Sounded very good. This weekend I'll button the rest up and we'll add some fuel to the equation.

Hybrid booster

turned the key tonight. Got a few random fires but for the most part she wouldn't go. Pulled the plugs and they were soaked, they don't look too bad, but I'm going to get new ones anyway. Need to double check the timing, I'll probably do some compression tests as well.

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

Looks great will be running soon!!

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    Looks great will be running soon!!
    thanks. Tinkered around more with it last night. Verified good spark out of the coil, cam timing mark is right perfect in the window when the flywheel is at TDC, so I'm pretty confidant I have the belt on right. Hooked up the timing light and I'm not seeing a mark at all on the flywheel while cranking... I'm think maybe somehow I got the distributor timed out of whack.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:06 PM ----------

As far as trying to check timing without flooding the car, anyway to keep the spark going while disabling the fuel? Pulling the plug on the injectors stops the motor from firing altogether.

Hybrid booster

The engine is running and idling smooth, and today all four wheels hit the floor for the first time in ages. Tuesday I'm taking the day off to finish up some welding and hopefully putting the front clip back on... I discovered some potential complications with the k-frame tonight, that may be a setback.

getting there....

Hybrid booster

baby steps... She moved today! Took the day off and got alot done.

backed out of the garage and then back into the middle, I don't know why that seems like such a big deal... made it real easy to work on, buttoned up the last bit of rust on the passenger side, then put the front clip on. Starting to actually look like a daytona!!

Official to do list (somewhat ordered)

source and install +20s and wideband (got some leads)
    source 89/90 K-frame and install, new bushings for swaybar
    source correct speedo sensor, or hack and slash...
    hook up cruise control.
    re-install interior
    button up engine bay
    3" exhaust
    new (real) boost gauge
    ***shakedown cruise***

Hybrid booster

got a new crossmember from a 1990 Labaron, very good shape. so that problem is solved. Power washed the carpet today, interior re-installation will continue through this week.

somewhere in here is a complete interior.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast