Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Super Moderator Turbo Mopar Staff 135sohc's Avatar

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Floor pan looks good.
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Garrett booster

It looks good! I got my pans finished last night and threw the carpet in....sure is a lotta work....that's unseen ain't it?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by 135sohc View Post
    Floor pan looks good.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 540demon View Post
    It looks good! I got my pans finished last night and threw the carpet in....sure is a lotta work....that's unseen ain't it?
    Yea it'll all be under the carpet or underbody treatment eventually. A whole lot of work for something no one will ever see

Hybrid booster

Hooray! Once the paint cures up a bit I'll be officially re-assembling!!! Gonna get hung up by a temporary funds issue, our furnace is dead (damnit.) I think the only thing of highish cost I still need are SS turbo lines.

...And since one area is coming together, might as well cut some holes elsewhere.

Hybrid booster

The "square hole-round peg" issue with converting to 88 electronics is bothersome. That is all.

Hybrid booster

Wow, just caught up on your build-up, floor looks great! Keep up the good work, you've given me motivation for finishing mine.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by john1320 View Post
    Wow, just caught up on your build-up, floor looks great! Keep up the good work, you've given me motivation for finishing mine.
    Thanks!!

Rear pan all fixed!

Oh, and see that little bitty hole up at the top of the picture?

Well...

FFFFFUUUUUUUUU....

Fuel lines are right under there, and the way the car is positioned, it's not easy to get over there. I think I'm going to put off this last repair until after the car is back on the ground and I can move it away from the garage wall.

...speaking of the cross member... I'm fully convinced that short of hot tanking... these damn things are impossible to clean completely. Close enough! Gonna have to hit it with some paint though.

ready for new tie rod ends and ball joints... still got to hit up poly bushings.

Oil port blocked off.

Starting to piece it all back together.

I got my K-frame super clean... By using about 2 gallons of mineral spirits and 5 dozen rags. just keep soaking and wiping until its all gone..
    1994 Shadow Sedan. 2.2 N/A, A568 400,000 miles. "the science experiment"
    1987 Shelby CSX #418. Long term rebuild and restore ?

Hybrid booster

I got my K-frame super clean... By using about 2 gallons of mineral spirits and 5 dozen rags. just keep soaking and wiping until its all gone..
    Yea, i think I've killed half a pack of shop towels already LOL. I've got to pull the a arms off anyway to replace the bushings, so that will help. Need to get around to measuring my sway bar so I can order a bunch o' poly.

Hybrid booster

Well the donortona is almost ready for the crusher.

Just need to finish pulling the glass and the rear bumper cover... couple other odds and ends.

I've also started re-assembling the engine in earnest. Got new manifold studs on order, so I'm delayed until those come in.

Looks perdy though.

I'm excited to get half my garage back. Note the other new toy I just picked up.

Hybrid booster

Some questions...

I need to minimize the number of things going on at once, there's just a stupid amount of things I'm changing all at once....

-Wondering if I can run this 89 CB t1 with the garrett on the stock 88 electronics. From what I've read I can run the motor with +20s and it won't run too lean, is there anything else that would hold me up? I'd love to plunk this thing in there and root out the million gremlins I'm sure to have before I go adding custom cals and boost controls and the lot.

-Got a new Gates WP, I'm surprised about how stiff the rotation on it is... does anyone have any experience with these? How easily did they spin out of the box? There appears to be a hole to lube the shaft... but no mention of it in the instructions.

-Motor mounts... Rocking a 2.5 w/o balance shafts... would like to minimize the rattling of my fillings, but I want to keep performance in mind. Any tips oin what combinations of bobble struts, poly and standard motor mounts to use? Not planning on drag racing the car, but I do plan on doing some autoX.

I think after a nice deposit at polybushings I've gathered up just about everything I need to get the suspension and motor back in the car. Can't wait!!

Thanks

new wp's are gonna have some higher turning resistance vs a used one. That hole is a weep hole for coolant should it make it past the inner seal/bearing. Gives you a little warning by dripping there before the pump goes to crap.

Hybrid booster

new wp's are gonna have some higher turning resistance vs a used one. That hole is a weep hole for coolant should it make it past the inner seal/bearing. Gives you a little warning by dripping there before the pump goes to crap.

good to know thanks. Didn't feel like was binding, but the one for my trep spun much more freely.

Any tidbits from the pros on the programming aspect?

Rhymes with tortoise. Turbo Mopar Staff cordes's Avatar

I wouldn't run the wrong displacement motor for the cal. There's just no good reason to do that anymore.

I have solid poly bushings mounts for my car that has a 2.5 and no balance shafts and it's fine by my standards.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by cordes View Post
    I wouldn't run the wrong displacement motor for the cal. There's just no good reason to do that anymore.

I have solid poly bushings mounts for my car that has a 2.5 and no balance shafts and it's fine by my standards.

Hmmm. I just hate to recal the thing over and over.... I guess I need to actually start really digging into what cal I need and what I need to go with it.

Hybrid booster

new hardware for the exhaust manifold came in.

And I got the new water pump on. Odd, when I turn it is squeals like a piggy.

New ball joints in, Just got to do the tie rod ends and it's ready to go back in the car.

Nearly successfully removed the windshield, damn thing hung up on one tiny spot and cracked across the passenger front corner. Damnit. Oh well.

Need to jack up the back and remove the rear brakes etc, then it's crusher time.

Hybrid booster

Well the Donortona is crushed (RIP) and after a little fiasco with the seal on the compressor side (thanks again to the donortona for donating a garrett with a 4pcs carbon seal) the Turbo rebuild is done!!!

Almost time to put this 2.5 T2 in her new home!!!

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor Rampage16V's Avatar

I think they went with 10mm bolts in 89 over the 8mm on older rack/k frames
    Quote Originally Posted by beeblebrox82 View Post
    Pulled the cross member out today:

The rack was loose on the cross member, look at this crap:

Bolts have completely failed, and it looks like some knucklehead tried to cut the cross member to get access to put some nuts on those bolts, but gave up. Unbelievable. Thank god for the donor car.

Annoying, because now I have to completely disable the donor car for its crossmember/rack. Was looking forward to buying suspension parts tonight... instead, more dismantling.

Dean Stillie
    87 Shelby Z 2.4 Turbo 9.06@146.05
    82 Rampage 2.4 Turbo 10.14@138.02

Looks good man! I'll def be looking here for reference when its time to do my floors

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage16V View Post
    I think they went with 10mm bolts in 89 over the 8mm on older rack/k frames
    that would make sense... although with my new rack it would still be the smaller bolts. Oh well, at least it's solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Khajjathefang View Post
    Looks good man! I'll def be looking here for reference when its time to do my floors
    Thanks!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast