Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Hybrid booster

Re: Beeble's 1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z Project Thread

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Yes. Sounds like a sender issue though. Have you plugged the stock sender in?
    Sender was AWOL, They rigged up a mechanical gauge. I nabbed a new sender from a labaron in the yard, looks almost new. I suppose i should hook it up before I deem the cluster bad. Either way. I'm going to drop the pan and the oil pump just for inspection purposes. Replace pump if needed, change the oil, start it up and see what i get on the mechanical gauge. If everything is happy then I'll try to get the factory gauge working again.

I'm sure I'll eventually set some gauge pods up but in the meantime I'd like to just get it back to stock.

Hybrid booster

So it turns out (thank you mopar engineers!!) That the spare tire well of a 1993 Shadow is exactly the same as my Daytona's. They crushed the Shelby Z I was going to cut up, but this one is even better!!! Had to lift the back of the car with an engine hoist and reset it on the frame rails, as they had it propped up on a wheel right on the well. Once that was done it was quick work with the saws all!

Little dented from the car sitting on it, nothing that can't be pounded out.

Some surface rust down in the bottom, but it's solid!!!

Also scored the spare tire cover board and I picked up the instrument cluster, if only just to have to play with later.

Super excited to get that tire well found!!

Hybrid booster Turbo Mopar Contributor

nice find ! looks like mine , and welcome to the forum , every questions got an answer here !

Excellent find. More parts to add to the stash right?

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by turbokid View Post
    Excellent find. More parts to add to the stash right?
    I've got a healthy pile going!
    Last edited by beeblebrox82; 08-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.

Hybrid booster

Well I finally had a chance to drop the pan and poke around. No smoking gun. The screen on the oil pick up was a little nasty, but Oil still went throuhgh when I dumped some through, so I'm not convinced. The oil filer was actually rusty, so god knows how old it is, perhaps it had failed. there was certainly some sludge in the bottom.

Bottom of the motor looks nice and clean, no obvious problems that I can see. Pan was free of metal and was pretty clean overall.

hard to get a good picture, but the screen was pretty nasty.

Little WD40 and a toothbrush took care of the oil pick up screen

On to the oil pump. Spins very smooth, feels nice and tight. I might take it apart but I dunno, see for yourself - seems to be working fine.

So I'll poke around a bit more tomorrow, then I guess I'll just put it all back together and see what happens.
    Last edited by beeblebrox82; 08-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.

Hybrid booster

Next video. Checked the bearings tonight.

Hybrid booster

making progress! I've got a pretty good laundry list of parts going already.

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by moparman76_69 View Post
    If the wiring is hacked up and you want to go to SMEC electronics I have a 88 daytona engine harness and might have the dash harness also.
    Converting the 87 daytona to 88 SMEC is a real PITA. They moved the location of the 50 pin to under the dash, and then reversed the sexes on the plug. Took me 4 hours to make sure all the wiring matched, then another 4 to cut and solder onto a spare 87 50 pin connector then 8hrs to remove the stock harness and replace it with the SMEC. Is it worth it? Well if you have a flashable smec and can do cals yourself then YES. If not and are buying cals from a vendor then no, not really.

turbo addict

cool project good luck with the rebuild, i had the same issue bought a new Spirit R/T and the rods started knocking weeks later, i am interested to see how yours turns out

Supporting Member Turbo Mopar Contributor 2.216VTurbo's Avatar

Welcome Beeble. I like where you thread and project are headed. Now for this.

ACCKK! What's a cast crank doing in there?? 5 SPD intercooled Daytonas left the factory with a forged crank. Unless I am not seeing the pics right, it looks like a 'narrow' parting line (1/16") versus a 'wide' (1/4") line

AJ (no More Alan) 84 Rampage RT TIII/568 Quaife 87 GLHS dealer optioned Red 16V Masi/568/Quaife
    90 Masi 16V White/Ginger/Black
    89 TC Masi 16V Red/Ginger/Black
    86 GLHS #110 RoadRace Built 89 CSX-VNT Recaro Car
    89 Turbo Mini 'Woody' 85 GLHT 'RedBox'
    2014 Explorer DD'r 3.5Twin Turbo Ecoboost AWD and 500HP
    My profile page has over 20,000 views, I'm somebody LOL

turbo addict

Quote Originally Posted by 2.216VTurbo View Post
    Welcome Beeble. I like where you thread and project are headed. Now for this.

ACCKK! What's a cast crank doing in there?? 5 SPD intercooled Daytonas left the factory with a forged crank. Unless I am not seeing the pics right, it looks like a 'narrow' parting line (1/16") versus a 'wide' (1/4") line
    Yep, someone either changed out the crank or the shortblock. Can't tell by the pics if it still has the good TII rods or the LW rods in it. If you can get a small mirror and read the #'s cast into the belt or passenger side of motor on the rod that will tell you which rods you have. 86-88 Lightweight rods are #4323218LW, while the good TII rods are casting #4323958.
    While you have the pan off, pull a rod bearing cap or two and look at the condition of the bearing and writing on the back side of bearing. It should have a mfg. and date code on it. If original 87 dated, it should say something like AL-6 with a date code something like 4 87. If they are aftermarket bearings, they will have size and mfg. logo on them.
    Also check round tag on top of tranny. It should have a date code of late 86 or early 87. Should read A555 and not A520. Should be final drive ratio of 3.85 and not 3.50.
    Looks like a fun project. I've had two 87 shelby Z's. One red with leather, and one silver with cloth. I personally liked the cloth car better.
    You may find that sunroof needs to be heavily tinted. Mine would heat up my melon badly. I thought the Man upstairs was attempting to get back at me for all the ants I would burn up with my magnifying glass in my early youth.
    Careful installing the oil pump, it's tricky. You should have it properly aligned so the aux shaft, and oil pump gears are phased correctly. Look in your FSM for details. If installed wrong, you can correct by taking out aux shaft a couple inches and clock correctly.
    Good luck on the project!
    Todd

Hybrid booster

I have confirmed that the whole block has been changed out at some point. Stamp does not match the VIN. Looks like most of the other shelby stuff was changed over, but I can't see if the Rods/pistons were or not. If there are LW rods in there I'll be in the market for some T2 rods for sure. If the crank is salvageable I'll probably just keep it , based on what I've read s0 far they aren't prone to failure and are lighter. Definitely will be doing more research on that....

Hybrid booster

Motor is out!

Big catch!

damn it's dirty!

New home!

Hybrid booster

Next steps.

Completely remove and replace vac system

Sit in the compartment with the wiring FSM and figure out what's thrashed.

Clean the crap out of everything.

Drop the crank and inspect the damage

major research on engine rebuild procedures, what aftermarket parts are available etc. This motor will be out of the car all winter.

I have a laundry list of parts to replace, need to spend some more time inspecting the motor and bay to finish the list.

Hybrid booster

The two outer intake valves have a lot of crud on them.

Block was at least made in right year, not sure if that's a part number or a serial number on the left there.

turbo addict

Bahh run Chevron gas through it for a year and that stuff will be gone.

turbo addict

I dont know if anyone has said it, but that random plug you found, the grey one. It is for plugging a scanner into the car.

Hybrid booster

Quote Originally Posted by GLHNSLHT2 View Post
    Bahh run Chevron gas through it for a year and that stuff will be gone.
    LOL. Seems like it would be criminally negligent to have the motor this far apart and not put in new valve guides. I should leak check this sucker before I pull the head off though... hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowFromHell View Post
    I dont know if anyone has said it, but that random plug you found, the grey one. It is for plugging a scanner into the car.
    Nice to have that confirmed! Someone fiom DI.net mentioned that might be the case. Thanks!

Hybrid booster

I used an entire can of engine brite gel on that hunk of sludge I pulled out of the daytona. Turns out it is IS a motor!

Gonna need another can though

I really wish that damn kid wouldn't have tried to paint it while it was in the car. stupid.

progress is slow, only getting to wrench for a few minutes a night, ah the life of a father of two!! Should have it the rest of the way apart in the next few days.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast